Troutdale, Oregon

Old May 31st, 2001, 08:58 PM
Carol

Troutdale, Oregon

Has anybody stayed at either the Best Western Rama Inn or the Phoenix Inn in Troutdale, Oregon? Which is your preference? Does anyplace in Troutdale view the river? Any good restaurants there or closeby? (No East Indian or fish please) Not interested in dressing up...want it to be low-key, local type of eating....

Old May 31st, 2001, 10:28 PM
Tim

If you're staying in Troutdale, why not consider staying at the Edgefield hotel. It's a hotel run by the McMennamen family and is a fun, low key place. There's a small theater on the site and a microbrewery. If you choose not to stay there, you could atleast go there and have dinner.

Old May 31st, 2001, 10:33 PM
John

I've stayed at some motel or other next to the freeway in Troutdale - they all appear to be new and ordinary. The river is a little distant from the freeway where all the motels are located. For a fun alternative, with okay food in several restaurants, great beer, winery on the premises, comfy rooms, a BYOB movie theater, gardens, pubs, and cool art on the wall, try the Edgefield in Troutdale, a mile or so from the rest of the motels and gas stations. It's the old Multnomah County Poor Farm, converted to a B&B complex - see http://www.mcmenamins.com

Old May 31st, 2001, 10:51 PM
Carol

Thanks Tim and John...hmmmm...2 outa 2.. They are not in my AAA book, so I didn't know the place was there. I had seen their site and had been wondering about one of their places in Forest Grove.... How does this one compare? I figure if I am going to be tromping around muddy waterfalls, I want as low key as I can get...(but I want a decent room with a good bed)..

Old May 31st, 2001, 10:59 PM
Tim

I haven't personally stayed there, but have eaten at several of their restaurants when I've been up in Oregon on vacation. If I didn't have friends to stay with in Portland, I'd definitely check into staying at one of their hotels. They just seem like a fun place to stay.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 06:19 AM
John

Pretty low-key. No TVs or phones in the rooms, but the beds are good, the baths good (if you get a room with a bath - some are of the "down the hall" variety) - and the frog symphony from the pond by the grass-roofed pub lulls you to sleep.

We haven't stayed at the Forest Grove place but have stayed at the Kennedy School in NE Portland - a former neighborhood elementary school similarly converted to a hotel/bar/restaurant/movie complex. Also lots of fun, the 2 pubs on the premises being the "honors bar" and "detention."

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 12:31 AM
Carol

Well, being a female, I can tell you 'bathroom-down-the-hall' does not turn me on, (did it once in Rome--NEVER again!).. but even if we don't stay there, we will visit the grounds. I have checked the site and have seen the funky art-work, etc. It sounds like a hoot!

Is either of you very familiar with the Salem area? Where would you stay? (My Marriott book states that a Residence Inn is opening there mid 2001, but I can find no info on it yet..would love to use some points there if possible.) I am planning on doing the loop that goes to Silver Falls Park...

Any good cabernet wineries in Willamette area that would impress a spoiled California gal?