Tours in Monument Valley

Old Jan 28th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tours in Monument Valley

To break up the drive from GC to Blanding I would like to get out of the car (we`ll be in it ALOT over the 12 days of our summer trip!!)and do an organized tour of Monument Valley. The open truck tour I saw could be hot in summer but richbutnot mentioned a great jeep tour they took. We want something for a couple of hours. Hubby thinks he wants to rent a 4wd for the whole trip so that he can drive the road himself but the only parks with backroad options would be Monument and part of Canyonlands. To me it`s not worth the money and expense of gas for these couple of hours. Can anyone recommend MV tours they took?
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 03:31 AM

If you want a good description of tours, go to monumentvalley.com site
of Keyah ozuhny tour.
Tom phillips and his guys know very well
the valley and the indian traditions and offer a great variety of tours...
Arriving at the valley, go to the booth just front of the visiter center and ask for them...Don't hesite to insist because depending who is at the booth, they don't obey always to a specific order to have a specific guide...
If you go with Tom, you'll be sure to have a great time.
Erik and Anny Monpetit.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 04:46 AM

i took a tour with trailhandler tours. harold, who owns the company, grew up in the area and knows where to take you. i highly recommend either the sunrise or sunset tours. the lighting is magical then.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 05:46 AM

Monument Valley IS a magical place and one often used as the background for western movies and commercials. No matter what Navaho guide takes you through, you will be treated to some really spectacular scenery. I have not been to Canyonlands, but we are active in the amateur photography scene and have seen many wonderful slides of that area. I think
you will find that it is worth the additional driving and gas, especially if you do not plan to return to this location in the near future. Its vistas are so typical of this wonderful section of our country. As someone who has always lived in the northeast, I was hypnotized by the amazing color and rugged scenery of the west.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 07:36 AM

Depending on the time of year, I would highly recommend stopping at Antelope Valley. You can only take tours going in and are not allowed to drive through yourself. Most tours leave out of Page. Absolutely fantastic! Haven't seen anything else like it anywhere else in the SW.

Lots of people drive through Monument Valley in ordinary passenger cars, you don't need a 4wheeler. Had friends who took a jeep tour several years ago and they are still talking about it! Guess they had a fantastic guide!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 08:06 AM

Your husband wants to drive in Monument Valley? Make sure you will be allowed, as this is the Navajo land, and they only take visitors in the valley in their own jeeps. Be prepared to lots and lots of red dust - wear something inexpensive to wash or to toss.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 08:45 AM

swissquilter -
Will you be staying on the North Rim of the GC? If so, there is a great backroad option that is unforgettable - the road to Point Sublime. It is about 17 miles on a dirt road that is only accessible by 4 wheel drive vehicles. The road is totally rutted and steep at some points, and was a thrill to drive. It goes through meadows and forests of pine and aspen, and I saw a bunch of great wildlife - deer, wild turkeys, condors. Then, as you approach the canyon edge, the ecosystem total changes because of the heat blowing up out of the canyon. Blooming cacti and scrub and giant yucca plants. The end of the road is out on a promontory that sticks far out into the canyon. The views are absolutely, freeze in your tracks stunning - the canyon surrounds you in every direction. When I was there, there was not another person in sight - the only sound was the wind - it truly matched up to its name. This was my favorite part of my trip there, and made the cost of renting a Jeep Wrangler totally worth it. It takes the better part of a day to do the trip there and back because of the condition of the road, but provides something I think most all visitors to the canyon miss - complete and utter solitude.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 09:17 AM

You're allowed to drive your own car along an unpaved 14 mile road within Monument Valley. You may stop and leave your car, but may not walk more than 100 yards from the road. You will not see as much of the Valley than if you take a guided tour.

http://go-utah.com/Monument_Valley

Then click on "Scenic Drive" on the left.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 09:19 AM

FainaAgain,

They do allow you to drive your private vehicle into Monument Valley but you can only drive certain roads and some are off limits unless you are with a guide. If you want to see more of the valley you have to take a guided tour.

The roads are unpaved and that first dip is the worse and then most of the rest of the roads are good. I think that first big dip is to discourage private vehicles so they tourist take the tours.

Utahtea
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who has posted so quickly! I knew that one was allowed to drive their own car on a certain part of the MV road. I also agree that an indian guided tour would be a nice break from always being in our car and we would learn alot more this way. You`ve given me 2 tour sights I hadn`t see before and hope to get more tips from readers.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 02:11 PM

I second Quimbynoy's recommendation for Trailhandler Tours. Harold's brother Richard gave us our tour. You need to ask for a private jeep tour. It was just the four of and Richard in an open air jeep. He took us to all the good photo spots and took several pictures of us. He also sang to us in Navajo. It was a very personal tour, much more than you would get driving yourself or with a group.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

For those of you who went with Trailhanders: the private tours are in the small jeeps- if it`s so hot in summer(it looks like we will be there after lunch) do they put the fabric roof top on so that you don`t fry? The website shows the little jeeps open and the group jeep covered.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 12:02 PM

We went the first week of June two years ago and asked him to take the top off. Just tell them when you make your reservation that you want the top on. However, we stopped quite a few times and it is easier to get in and out with the top off. Besides, it's the desert - you're suppossed to be hot
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip richbutnot. One more question - do you advise me booking a tour with Trailhanders in advance - like now? I am a planner and must have it all organized! I just don`t want to get to the park and then find out that all the Trailhander jeeps are out and about. Also - some of these companies have specific times for tours. Can you just go up to T. when you arrive and say you you`re ready for a tour? Maybe I missed something on their site or maybe I need to call them?
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 06:01 AM

Give them a call and book your tour now. Ask for Richard to be your guide, he was fantastic. We took the 2 and a half hour morning tour that ended up lasting 3 and half hours. That tour was the best vacation experience we have ever had. Have fun.