Monument Valley, Arizona

Search

Monument Valley, Arizona

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monument Valley, Arizona

We are spending the night in Kayenta, AZ. The next day we have a 1 p.m. rafting trip in Page, AZ (check in time is 12:30 p.m.) We want to visit Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park, AZ before the rafting trip. We will get a very early start to accomplish this.
1. Would you schedule a tour with a Navajo guide ahead of time, being certain he/she knows our tight schedule?
2. Can you recommend a reputable Navajo guide? Is this something you can book ahead or do the Navajo guides hang out "for hire" at the welcome/visitor center to MVNTP?
3. Would you just drive the 17 mile path/trail and check it off the list? Without a Navajo guide, is the drive enjoyable/stunning/educational, etc.?
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:43 PM

1. Would you schedule a tour with a Navajo guide ahead of time, being certain he/she knows our tight schedule?

Yes, this will work out fine. They'll meet you there before sunrise if you wish.

2. Can you recommend a reputable Navajo guide? Is this something you can book ahead or do the Navajo guides hang out "for hire" at the welcome/visitor center to MVNTP?

You can set this up the day before, if you are going to be up there. There's a booth at the visitor center where you can sign up with a guide.

3. Would you just drive the 17 mile path/trail and check it off the list? Without a Navajo guide, is the drive enjoyable/stunning/educational, etc.?

I've done it both ways ... self-drive is fine but you can't get in as early. Having a guide gives you access to several areas you can't legally go to on your own and is better if you can afford it.
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:12 PM

2. Can you recommend a reputable Navajo guide?

I used to spend a lot of time up there but not so much recently. Here are some Navajo guides I knew well that are still running tours, guys I would recommend:

http://www.monumentvalleytours.net/ Monument Valley Tours, formerly Totem Pole Tours ... the owner is Vergil Bedoni, he's a great guy and used to be a good friend, though I haven't seen him in several years. I think his wife Rosie is handling bookings now. He's doing a lot of movie and TV work now but probably still handles single bookings. The way I heard it Vergil's grandfather was a Navajo chieftan before there were any roads.

http://www.danielsguidedtours.com/Da...m/Welcome.html ... Daniel's Guided Tours ... Daniel Chee is the owner, he was a driver for Vergil when I met him, then when he branched off on his own I did some small favors for him early on (helping with a web site and getting him some magnetic signs for the doors of his jeeps) and we became friends. Quiet but a nice guy.

Here's a more complete list: http://discovernavajo.com/valley.html ... from that list here are two others I know to a lesser degree than Vergil and Daniel but would recommend.

I've met Fred Cly from Fred's Adventure Tours, he's worked as a movie stuntman and appeared in TV commercials and is an interesting guy who likes to set up custom photo trips. He seemed pretty expensive on his quotes though. On the tour of the valley you'll see a rock formation named "Cly's Butte" ... this was named after Fred's grandfather, or so I was told.

Roy Black has a good reputation and offers horseback tours as well as jeeps.
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:52 AM

If you see the sunset and sunrise at Monument Valley - you will have had a great experience.
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:56 AM

Also - at the Burger King in Kayenta - stop by to see the small memorial to the Navajo Code Talkers - whose bravery was for decades kept from the World -- due to "security reasons" http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2901

Also see the movie - Wind Talkers - if you have not yet. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245562/
Old May 8th, 2012, 03:08 AM

If you can get to MV on the afternoon before your night in Kayenta, you could do a tour that would include sunset in MV and then have plenty of time to get to Page, perhaps with a stop at Antelope canyon on the way. Check what time sunset is when you go and be aware that Page does not do daylight savings time as it is on Arizona time, but the Navajo parks do(Monument Valley and Antelope Canyon).
Old May 8th, 2012, 05:12 AM

You will make a lot better time with a guide. The road through the park is REALLY rough.
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

SUPER SUGGESTIONS - I think we'll hire a guide. I'm so glad I posted this and got your ideas as I was leaning toward just doing the 17 mile drive and letting that be it.