Search

Torn between 2 Vegas shows..."O" or "La Reve" please help

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torn between 2 Vegas shows..."O" or "La Reve" please help

Hi,

My mom and I will be taking our first trip to Las Vegas July 4th week. We are very excited and will be staying at Paris. We don't gamble so will just be visiting the magnificent hotels, renting a car for a day to go to Hoover Dam and maybe the Grand Canyon (not sure GC is worth the long drive), seeing a show and eating good food.

I've honed it down to these two shows and was wondering if you could all help me choose.

Thanks,
Linda
Old May 20th, 2010, 12:36 PM

As I understand it, Franco Dragone directed "O" when he was with Cirque & then he left to work at Wynn where he directs Le Reve. They are similar shows in content. We saw Le Reve & loved it even though we are not big Cirque fans.

If you have a car & like Italian food, I would recommend Carluccio's Tivoli Garden restaurant. It used to be owned by Liberace & is next door to the Liberace museum.
Old May 20th, 2010, 01:57 PM

Haven't see La Reve, but O is magnificent. Cannot be described. We were in the nex to last row and were just mesmerized. ( Saw Ka and almost fell asleep!)
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:51 PM

What happened to the cirque in Cirque du Soleil? Until the last two, I adored all the productions we saw, but in my opinion, they're on a downward spiral.

When we went to Ka, the man selling drinks suggested that a good time for a bathroom break would be when the baton twirler came on. Baton twirler in a cirque presentation? I don't want to pay a fortune to see something that excited me when I was at a high school football game.

The last production we saw was the Beatles one - Love (I had to google the name). It was a nice musical production, but no circus to be found - definitely not on the scale of earlier cirque shows we've seen.

Forgive me for babbling Lindain, but this has been on my mind for a while. To be more specific, we've seen - and loved O - but have not seen La Reve.
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:37 PM

I saw Le Reve (which focuses on feats in and around water) soon after it opened. While I am not a particular fan of Cirque du Soleil shows, I found this one very entertaining.
I haven't seen "O", so I can't compare the two, but I, too, have heard they are similar. I feel pretty sure that you will enjoy whichever of them that you decide to see.
Old May 21st, 2010, 02:45 AM

We saw O two weeks ago... fabulous!! Can't compare with La Reve, but I loved it better than Ka! Hubby I think was torn in between, maybe liking Ka better (a man thing)....

We looked online early on, and I got the tickets at 25% off.. we were seated 2nd row and had an awesome view! Now some of the front row seats CAN get wet, but we enjoyed it!

O is done in water.. and it kept me wondering too how they do it! Just amazing! You might want to check out the previews on their websites...

Have fun!!
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:23 AM

I've seen enough of Cirque du Soleil to last a lifetime; given a chance to see one of the shows again, I would pick "O."

HTTY
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:29 AM

The primary similarity is water.

I couldn't possibily recommend one over the other.

Le Reve has quite a bit of ballroom dancing, and we loved that theater!
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:13 AM

La Reve at the Wynn.
Gorgeous show, stunning hotel and you can dine at Alex, Okada or DB brasserie before the show.
O is quite good too.
Old May 21st, 2010, 10:52 AM

Yes, we had a wonderful dinner on the terrace at Daniel Boulud ahead of Le Reve - special prix fixe menu. Highly recommend.
Old May 21st, 2010, 11:00 AM

dj,
that is one of the best deals in Vegas for prix fixe 4 or 5 course, can't remember exactly how many but the food is excellent and for under $50pp for one of the top chefs in the world is another plus.
They had an weird but excellent water show with tiki man and other wild stuff..did they have it when you were there?
Old May 21st, 2010, 11:44 AM

I have seen both shows and I think "O" is the show with more "wow" factor. I would see "O" again, but I probably wouldn't care to see Le Reve again.

However, the theater for Le Reve is smaller and more intimate than the one for "O", and there really isn't a bad seat in the house.
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies. I still don't know what to do. lol I like the idea of dinner at DB though...hmm will have to think more about this.

I appreciate the advice.
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:54 PM

Just saw O and was a little underwhelmed. Yes, everything was fantastic but there is no story line. Yes, it is a circus and I guess that is the story but I expected a little more for a "show". Our tickets were $108 so if you can get tickets for Le Reve for less, I would see it instead.
Old May 26th, 2010, 03:55 PM

Either dinner at DB (the prix fixe for us in March was a little more than $50, but still fabulous) and Le Reve,

OR

See O since it's just across the street from Paris. Have a light dinner (Mon Ami Gabi actually has nice appetizers and yummy soups).

I prefer a light dinner plus a show, since I get sooo sleeepy after a big meal and wine (YAWN).
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:02 AM

We had dinner at Olive's at Bellagio before the show, it was outstanding!
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:26 PM

Have not seen La Reve, but saw and enjoyed "O". If I did it again I'd want orchestra seats, in the balcony you see more of the mechanics of how the stage set/pool works, I just imagine it is more stunning from eye level.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM

Cannot speak to "O," but "Le Reve" was wonderful. Not a bad seat in the theatre.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 05:57 PM

I saw La Reve back when it first opened and loved it! The water aspect just added to the "wow" factor for me. I haven't seen O though. As far as the Grand Canyon, I booked a heli tour while walking down the Strip. I was able to get the one where we landed on the bottom and went horseback riding for the price of the one that doesn't land. I lucked out because they needed to fill a copter. It was truly amazing!