Tomorrow's Tiger's game...anyone going?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were just "given" tickets to tomorrow's game. Just wondering if any other Fodorites will be attending?
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 03:14 PM

The Tigers play Saturday!! ;-)

Geaux LSU!!!
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 03:21 PM

The Tigers and As play both Friday AND Saturday and, if necesssary, on Sunday!
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 03:28 PM

I know many who would like to go, but DH, DD and I will be in Cleveland for college reunion and college visit.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

BayouGal...I want some of what is in your glass!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 09:05 AM

I'm going today.

Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And brrrrrrr.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 09:24 AM

I just want to know what on earth they were thinking moving today's game to 4:30. MLB complains at the lack of baseball fans, then do stupid things like that! Detroiters will miss half the game before they get home from work, and people in CA will miss all of it!

Stay warm, Tigers fans!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Got to support the A's! Eric Chavez attended the same high school my kids did. (Can't support that other Oakland team, though!)
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Weather, weather, weather...that's Detroit for you.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 09:54 AM
nlg

Jamie Walker is from our hometown, McMinnville, TN, so we have all become
Tigers fans.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 10:03 AM
JJ5

One of my sons has really complained in the past at the scheduling of playoff games. He did a paper on it once for a broadcasting class.

If you notice, all the NY teams are scheduled in the prime time evenings. It's been that way, with few exceptions, for as long as we can remember. Money and many other reasons, that have nothing to do with temperature.

East coast best time slots, west coast next, and all the rest of the country lands SOL.

That's one reason out of 100's I am hoping for a St.Louis/Detroit Series. But do not think it will happen. One good thing is by then (Series time), if one of the teams is NY or Boston or FL (east coast) then we get "our" mid-country team featured at night. LOL!

motor city girl- have a great time regardless of when it is and do toast us in JD when they win.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Will do!!! I don't have time to make a "Hello Fodorites" banner but I am sure my husband appreciates that because we are going with people from his work.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 10:08 AM

JJ5 - I also complain about the 8pm weeknight games. When Detroit and the Yankees were playing, why the late games? They lose their entire kid fan base that way, since they can't stay up till 11 or later on a school night, and many adults don't want to be up that late either.

I understand balancing the timing between east and west coast when games from both areas are playing each other, such as now, but even then an 8pm eastern time game isn't necessary. Even if they started at 7pm, the west coast teams would miss some of the beginning of the game, but many more people would be able to see the end of the game, which is generally the much more interesting time.

Ah well, I'm not a big baseball fan anyway, so not sure why I care. Just the principle I guess, and the fact that I'd rather my husband not have to stay up to watch these playoff games that go so late!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 11:34 AM
JJ5

Oh, we don't mind 8pm at all. What we MIND the most is a 2 to 4:30pm weekday thing (so you are nearly always in the car in commute or at work)- or in our case, during OUR SOX playoffs, the always constant 9:05pm start because California is schduled prime time second after the East coast gets first dibs.

My oldest son's first "fight" with his MOM memory (in which the issue was rather large and heated, and not about truly trivial "little stuff")was re my making him go to bed and not letting him stay up for the White Sox 1983 play offs series. Still held against me. I think I should have caved looking back, but he had a 6:20am school bus pick up that year.

That series against California, like our Angels series last year, started at 9:05pm. One game went into extra innings and lasted until almost 2:45am our time. I remember it well.

As you can see, we have always been baseball nuts. I have given up on wanting prime myself. We in the midwest- NOT! Even the World Series last year was barely marketed in comparison to what it will be this year if the Mets are in it.

The East coast newspapers too. They immediately switched to football talk last year, after it became Houston and Chicago.

Ha=ha, try that now! Now there we REALLY have them this year. There's no OUT. Bears are 5-0 and look to be near unstoppable.

Go Tigers! Go St.Louis!

If you are interested, tell your husband, that the White Sox made a deal with the convenience chain of that name for added stadium supply perks and also some big additions for the White Sox Charities group and as a result all the games next year at night are network scheduled for the White Sox to start at 7:11 pm. 7/11
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

All I can say is yeah, yeah, yeah...who's your Tiger!

One more to go and JJ5 this JD is for you!

BayouGal, thank for the good vibes. Hey, BTW have you checked out www.fathead.com for your LSU?
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 05:50 PM

Congrats, motor_city_girl!!! Go, Tigers!

OMG, I can't show that page to my husband or we'll have one in our living room! LoL Our "new" 3 x 5 foyer entry rug has a huge tiger on it and says LSU Tigers. That's bad enough - some welcome mat!
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

LOL, you are a true fan!
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 06:27 AM
JJ5

And I will have one myself when the next win sends you into the World Series. Probably a good vodka martini though. LOL!

What I LOVE, World Series with snow possible.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! That will be awesome. My husband was so cute, just like a little kid again. I wish we could go today...he was at the game where they won the penant in 1984. I am not from Michigan but got to root for the current home team, especially when they are doing so well.

I am usually a good red wine person myself but the selection at Tiger Stadium is well let's just say not up to my standards.

Grey Goose your choice?
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Good luck to the Tigers. I am a Pirates fan and will be rooting for the Tigers because the manager and almost all of the Tigers coaches are former Pirates (Slaught McLendon, Lamont, Belliard, Van Slyke). Jim Leyland is just a great, great manager. I'll be wearing my Tigers cap today (the Osaka (Japan) Hanshin Tigers) and wishing I was at the game.