Reload this Page >

PA Amish Country on a Sunday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:09 AM
Helen

We will be travelling through Amish country this weekend on our way to Hershey (from Maryland), and have made reservations for Sunday night at the Best Western Revere Inn & Suites in Paradise,PA. Has anyone stayed there and if so, how was your stay? Also, I have seen other posts on this board indicating that most everything in the area is closed on Sundays. Is this true? Where can we eat on a Sunday? Any help from locals or other knowledgeable folks would be very welcome!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:36 AM
ttt

to the top!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:39 AM
Suzy

Sunday is traditionally a visiting day for the Amish. There will be buggies all over the roads, even more than usual, which is picturesque but does tie up traffic.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:39 AM
Merilee

Don't miss out on the opportunity to eat at Miller's Smorgasbord in Ronks...the selection is huge and it's delicious...it's also open on Sunday.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:45 AM
dutch

Almost everything in Amish country will be open on Sunday. (They ain't stupid when it comes to catering to tourists.) The one thing you won't see is Amish tending their fields on Sunday.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:00 AM
Helen

Thanks so much for the reassurances!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:10 PM
Laurie

Helen,

How was your stay at the Best Western in Paradise, PA? My family stayed there a couple of months ago and on first impression, we thought the place was really nice. However, we had a problem during the night with the air conditioner leaking and when we called management they were so rude to us. After our stay I wrote them a letter and copied AAA. They wrote the nastiest letter to us. I forwarded that to AAA who called me to apologize for the Best Western's rudeness! I also sent it to the PA Dutch Tourism board who investigated the problem. It was an unfortunate experience for us.