Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arrival in Paris on weekend (sat late PM) - What is open on the weekend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,
What a great forum - just found it recently and have been reading old posts for most of this (very rainy and cold) afternoon.

This will be our first visit in Paris, we are staying for 1 week+ at end of June. Our rented apartment is in Arrondissement 17, almost on the edge of Arrondissement 8. According to Google Maps it is a 5 min walk to the Ternes Metro station.

We arrive at the airport on a Saturday arround 11.30 AM. Allowing time for getting luggage, transport to the city, locating the apartment etc. so I expect we will be settled in sometime during late afternoon. The apartment is on Rue des Renaudes "near a lively pedestrian market street" according to its description.
But what hours do the local stores typically keep?
What are our chances of finding some local stores open on a late Saturday afternoon or Sunday to buy food?
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 02:16 PM

On Saturday all the supermarkets and alimentaires will be open - some alimentaires will be open very late. On Sunday, most everything in the Marais will be open, as will quite a few alimentaires. It's Paris - there's always food available.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 02:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Many of the street markets are active Sunday mornings.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 03:50 PM

I would imagine that most everything except shops, which I am not sure but must be closed on Sundays, are open. Beware of Tuesdays a day that many Museums close And some do on Mondays. Also on Sunday some buses run I believe on a different timetables.
Otherwise enjoy the week end. Ah...also some restaurants that are geared mostly for business luncheons might be closed for lunch.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 04:14 PM

I would do a quick food shop on Saturday afternoon. Don't forget to check on essentials such as toilet paper! As StCirq has mentioned shops in the Marais will be open, but I think that would be a long way to cart groceries to where you are staying. On Sunday you will still find restaurants open but we found that our local patisseries were closed on Sundays, so on Saturday you might want to buy something for Sunday breakfast.

I hope you have a lovely week! Wish I was going!
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 05:33 PM

As StCirq notes, there is rarely a problem getting food in Paris. Most supermarkets will be open Saturday afternoon and into the evening - some as late as 9 or 10 PM, so you should be fine. You can google map the address then search nearby for supermarkets. Monoprix, Franprix and G20 are some names to look for if you want a supermarket. The "lively pedestrian market street" may well be rue Lebon which would be a good place to pick up fresh produce, open on Saturday 4-7:30 PM and Sunday 8A -1P according to the info at http://tinyurl.com/2btcqwk

How long will you be in Paris? We arrive on the 7th.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 05:55 PM

You will be staying around the corner from the rue Poncelet, undoubtedly the "lively pedestrian street market" referred to. Some very, very good purveyors, including Alleosse, one of the premier cheese merchants in France. The shops may be closed in the early afternoon but should reopen by 5:00 pm and stay open until about 7:00 or 7:30pm.

If you miss this for some reason, there is an organic, (and expensive) market on Blvd. Raspail in the 6th on Sunday, and one of my favorites, Marché Richard Lenoir, just off Place de la Bastille, also open on Sundays. Both of these close about 1:30 or 2:00 pm.

If you check the Franprix, Monoprix, or Carrefour websites, you will find supermarkets near you, along with the hours they are open.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all replies!

And what a treat: Alleosse - Cheese, we will be sure to visit this shop as we are really fond of cheese in my family.

We will be in Paris for 10 days.

Staying at an apartment worked well for us while in London some years ago. We had breakfast "at home" and also made a few picnic lunches/sandwiches that we brought with us and enjoyed while out and about in London. We hope this will also work well in Paris.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 02:53 AM

Happy to help. I wouldn't bother with carrying a packed lunch. Filled baguettes are available all over Paris and have lovely fresh fillings in them. Just check for lovely crunchy bread, occasionally we would see awful looking soft bread which isn't what a baguette should be. We'd buy one each, a piece of fruit (or a pastry) and a drink for about 12 euros. It's easy then to find a little park or a corner somewhere and have a cheap lunch.

What we did do, that we loved, was at about 4pm when our feet had had enough we would pick up a baguette, some cheese (we loved goat's cheese) and go back to our apartment to collapse for a while. After we had recovered and showered and changed we would head out again. It will be hot in June and you may well find that you need some time out and being in an apartment is a real benefit.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 08:49 AM

And as Shellio has remarked, if you are just around the corner from Rue Poncelet, there is a Monoprix Supermarket at Number 25 on your Rue des Renaudes. Usually open 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM but do check as some areas have different hours.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 08:55 AM

Turnip2 .......... sorry about this but meant to say the Monoprix is at 25 Avenue des Ternes which is just at the end of Rue Poncelet.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 10:26 AM

I spent the month of April in an apt. close to yours and predict you will love it. You would have to walk very slowly to take 5 mins. to get to the metro at Ternes. Your street crosses Rue Poncelet which is a very good market street, the one praised by Patricia Wells; the shops are at their busiest late Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning so you will have no problems in that regard. Also there are a ton of very good places to eat of all descriptions within an easy walk of your apt. If you would like the names of a few just tell me what your price range is and what you prefer, i.e., café, bistro, brasserie, restaurant, etc.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Laidback, we have 10 days in Paris to give us a good chance to explore and experience many things, so I think we would be interested in all the types of places you describe (cafe, bistro, brasserie, etc). Great to hear your opinion of the market street!
As for price-range, not sure what to expect as we've never been. We are not seeking very fancy or upscale places, but do appreciate great food.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 02:08 PM

Poncelet is a traditional market street with an excellent fishmarket, cheese shop and bakery, along with all the other shops found in most market streets. There is another good market street less than ¾ of a mile from you, Rue de Levis. The brasserie "La Lorraine" is right on Pl. des Ternes and is a pretty, traditional place with decent food. Just up from from Pl. des Ternes is the Café des Ternes, which is OK for simple things. L'Huitrier on Saussier Leroy is fine for oysters and shellfish. I like Cave Petrissans, close to you on Ave. Niel, the type of old fashioned, non-chain bistro that is getting harder to find. Also, right in your neighborhood are 2 restaurants, across the street from each other, "Les Fougeres" and the very upscale "Frederic Simonin" which does offer a very affordable menu at lunch for €38. They are at the intersection of Rue Bayen and Villebois. Just a tad further but still walkable are the good value bistros, "Entredgeu" and "l'Accolade". These should fill your dining needs in the neighborhood. Have a great trip and report back.