What day is the Sabbath?

Sep 26th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

What day is the Sabbath?

We'd like to attend church services while in Istanbul (Christian). Does anyone know what day they consider the Sabbath? Many Muslim countries have it on Friday. Israel is Saturday.
Sep 26th, 2007, 11:16 AM

The Muslim sabbath is Friday, Jewish sabbath is Saturday, and Christian sabbath is Sunday, so wouldn't a Christian service be on a Sunday regardless of the country and a Jewish on Saturday, etc.
Sep 26th, 2007, 02:11 PM

Exactly.
Sep 27th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

I called my local church in Istanbul and confirmed it is indeed on Sunday. It's interesting to note, however, that Christians attend church on Saturday in Israel and on Friday in most Muslim countries. I have friends who have lived in the UAR and Oman, and Christians went to church on Friday there. Thanks for your replies!
Sep 27th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Good question. Years ago the University of Minnesota got into a squabble about about weekend days. The Catholics wanted sports facilities shut down on Sunday, the Jews on Saturday and the Muslims on Friday. Poland honors Sunday as the last day of the week! But Sunday we heard a priest tell students that Sunday was really the first day of the week. You need go by the local calendar.
Sep 27th, 2007, 07:11 AM

GS is right. Sabbath is the last day of creation and it is the Saturday. In Romance languages, the name of Saturday is derived from Sabbath (Sabado in Portuguese and Castillian and Samedi in French).
Jesus was a Jew, was killed Friday and had to wait for Sunday to ressurrection.
Portuguese language keeps the memory of 1st days of Christianity, calling the working days as 2nd day (Monday) to 6th day (Friday). 1st day is omitted, but it's understood to be Sunday.
Sep 27th, 2007, 07:26 AM

The the 1st working day was devoted to God after the advent of Christianity, it was meaningless to keep calling it the 1st day. All lands occupied by the Roman Empire called it according to the Latin word "dominicu", meaning "the day of the Lord", making Domingo (Portuguese and Castillian), Dimanche (French), the same in Italian and Romanian.
The Barbarians (nations not speaking Latin) keep calling it by the pre-Christian name (Sunday, Sonntag), meaning "the day of the Sun).
Sep 27th, 2007, 07:29 AM

So you are already in Istanbul but asked this question on Fodor's instead of asking the church to begin with?
Sep 27th, 2007, 07:34 AM

<Christian sabbath is Sunday, so wouldn't a Christian service be on a Sunday regardless of the country?>

Not necessarily.....when we lived in Cairo, the "weekend" was Friday and Saturday and the local Christian churches had their "big" services on Saturday (some in the morning, some in the late afternoon, some both) so as not to interfere with work/school on Sunday. While some of the churches also Sunday services, these were not the heavily attended "family" services.
Sep 27th, 2007, 08:57 AM

The word Saturday comes from the Roman god Saturn, and was the traditional Sabbath of early Christians.

Sunday is the pre-Christian Roman sabbath for the sun god, Sol-Invictus.

Apparently Catholic Church officialy refers to Saturday as the Sabbath and Sunday as the Lord's Day.
Sep 27th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Thanks waring.....I KNEW there was a reason I should have paid attention to the 9th grade Greek and Roman mythology!!

My mother - who taught the stuff - would be ashamed I didn't know that!!!!
Sep 27th, 2007, 09:33 AM

There is a difference between the Sabbath and the day set aside for public prayer. The early church recognized Saturday as the Sabbath (derived from the Hebrew word "stop" - i.e., one stops work on the Sabbath and rests)but set the day of public prayer as Sunday in recognition of the resurrection - the Sabbath remained on Saturday. The earliest Christians - then a sect of Judaism, worshipped as Jews in the Synagogue on Saturday as the Sabbath, and then also prayed together on Sunday in recognition of the resurrection. When the early Christians were "excommunicated" from Judaism, they were no longer welcome at Sabbath services, and thus kept Sunday as their day of public prayed. As Christianity grew the WORD Sabbath became used for Sunday, the day of prayer, and that is how it is now commonly used, but Saturday as Sabbath actually never changed.
Sep 27th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Okay - the history lessons have been quite interesting (learned a few things)....but I think the idea of the OP is basically - what day can she expect to attend a church service.

And the point I was trying to make was that "it depends!" She needs to check with the churches she is interested in attending to see when the services are held.
Sep 27th, 2007, 10:00 AM

"She needs to check with the churches she is interested in attending to see when the services are held."

She already did.

"Author: culiseta
Date: 09/27/2007, 10:49 am
I called my local church in Istanbul and confirmed it is indeed on Sunday."
Sep 27th, 2007, 10:05 AM

good point - missed that in the postings.

Again - my point was just that....to check with the local church. If someone had come into my local community in Cairo and just expected to have a Sunday service....there would have been a huge disappointment.
Oct 4th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for all your informative comments. No, I am not in Istanbul yet. I made the phone call from the US. I guess I shouldn't have asked "What day is the Sabbath?" but rather, "What day do Christians hold church meetings?" Most seem to hold them on a day of the "weekend" for a particular country. In Israel, that is Saturday and in most Muslim countries, that is Friday. However, in Turkey it is on Sunday, at least for my particular church. Thanks again!