Tok to Haines Junction

Search

Tok to Haines Junction

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tok to Haines Junction

Has anyone drove this stretch of road? The view sounds great but is it much better than on the western side on the Richardson Hwy? Also any highlights you care to mention. TIA
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 04:59 AM

My opinion only but this a dull portion of Alaska driving. But Haines Junction to Haines is scenic. Richardson is much better but going in a different direction, also Tok- Fairbanks is something to sleep through too.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:00 PM

I find the drive from Tok to Haines Junction to be remarkable. The mountain views are endless and stunning - the Alaska highway borders the Wrangell St. Elias and Kluane National Parks, which are both part of the largest protected wilderness area on the planet.

The chances of spotting wildlife on this drive are excellent. Depending on the time you are going, you can see Dall sheep at Sheep Mountain.

If you like hiking, there are great trails in the Kluane national park that are worth checking out. The drive along 46-mile Kluane Lake, longest lake in the Yukon, is spectacular in itself.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 06:37 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
There are boring bits and scenic bits and critters and trucks COMING RIGHT AT YOU and lakes and birds and construction workers. Mainly I think it's impressive that there's all this huge country with no people. Like BQ says, the Haines Cutoff is drop-dead gorgeous, mainly for the rapid transition from interior to coastal scenery.