Reload this Page >

Trips from Talkeetna to Anchorage

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Susan

We're staying in Talkeetna for 3 nights and have from noon one day until 7:30pm the next when we need to be at the Anchorage Airport. Any suggestions for places in between to visit, see, stay?

Old May 6th, 2002, 02:09 PM
JD

If you're interested in hiking (without needing to be expedition-ready!), stop off at Hatcher Pass, which is located outside on Palmer. There is an old mining town to view, but the real attraction is the stunning mountain vistas, and the ability to roam the hills/mountains. Easy to moderate hiking & a great place to ponder life. Another choice is to take the scenic route out of the Palmer/Wasilla area, following the Old Glenn highway -- the New Glenn is our only major highway (#1). This older, very scenic highway eventually meets up with the new and continues to Anchorage. Another great spot is Eklutna Lake -- follow the road up into the mountains, and you're met with a view straight out of a beer commercial! (I'm not trying to cheapen it, but that's how it always strikes me).

Old May 6th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Clousie

Thanks, Susan for asking and JD for answering. I was going to ask the same question at some point.

How is the road to Hatcher Pass? I thought it was dirt, but I've seen reports of paving happening. Is there a difference in conditions going from either the Parks Highway or Glenn Highway?

It sounds like a beautiful area to hike.

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:36 PM
John

Eklutna Lake is a good idea, also the native graveyard at Eklutna village is pretty interesting. You could overnight at Hatcher Pass, too, if your time in Talkeetna hasn't innoculated you to mountainclimber types. (Oops, sorry, bias showing.)

I guess if it was me, though, I'd shoot through Anchorage and stay somewhere down the Seward Highway (maybe Girdwood) for the night, have a fab steak (or "blackened redfish") at the Double Musky, visit Hope the next morning (after a cinnamon roll at the hotel bakery), walk some of the trail alongside Turnagain Arm, then return to Anchorage in time for the flight.

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:49 PM
JD

Me again...John's advice is good -- you would really enjoy heading south of Anchorage, to the Girdwood area. The highway is absolutely stunning, if fairly busy. Great places to stop off and ooh & ahh or whatever.

As for the question on the approach to Hatcher Pass -- it is far easier from Palmer side (no paving yet). To approach from the Parks Highway, you turn off in Willow, and wind through some remote areas (and yes, the road keeps going!), where there are private gold claims. Truly incredible scenery all around.

Best resource in general for AK is the Milepost. Go to http://www.milepost.com

Enjoy your journey(s)!!

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:24 PM
kalena

You're making me want to go back! Loved Alaska. Saw a humongous pod of beluga whales in the bay on the way to Girdwood.