Anchorage and other

Feb 14th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Mike Fugitt

Anchorage and other

I'm traveling to Alaska May 1 - May 8. Will headquarter in Anchorage and most travel will be day trips from there. I would like advice on what to see, etc. I have particular interest in some photography opportunities especially landscapes, but also wildlife. Also information regarding photograpy shops in Anchorage which might rent big lenses, etc.

Feb 14th, 2002, 12:50 PM
rqf

If you are going to have a rental car consider a trip to Seward. It is about 120 miles and you pass some interesting places enroute. There is Potter Point State GAme Refuge just outside Anchorage. Next is the Alyeska Resort. A tram takes you to the top of a mountain. Then you can take a boat trip to Portage Glacier. As you continue on to Seward you might see some wildlife on the hills running alongside the road. When you approach Seward you can take a drive to the Exit Glacier. This is a full days activity. You might consider overnighting in Seward and on the second day take a boat tour to Kenai Fjords National Park. Glaciers, sea life, moose and maybe a bear or two to be seen. As you drive to Seward the road runs along the Turnagain Arm. Whales have been seen in this body of water.

Feb 14th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Wanda

Hi Mike, if you decide to go to Seward, I would suggest that you stop and tour the Crow Creek Gold Mine and the small town of Hope, both are on the way there. Be sure and get a copy of the Milepost and read up on it before you leave on your trip.

Feb 14th, 2002, 03:43 PM
John

I'd be surprised if any photo shops in Anchorage will lend you long lenses, but you might try Stewart's at (800) 478-8581. Anchorage is a big city and most of the photo places have names like Wal-Mart or Costco attached to them. How about e-Bay?

The beginning of May might not offer the best photo options as it's early spring and the weather may not be the best (or it can be gorgeous - who knew?) One idea, though (expensive but so worth it) is a flightseeing trip from Lake Hood or Merrill Field - a lot of the charter/flightseeing operators are pros at finding critters for shutterbugs.

Do drive to Seward - in addition to the Kenai Fjords tour, you will pass through some lovely country, including Turnagain Pass and past Portage Glacier en route. North from Anchorage, the Mat-Su Valley can have some excellent photo ops, head on up to Hatcher Pass for rugged mountain scenery and gold-mining relics laying about. On the way north, stop at the cemetery at Eklutna (native village) for pix of the colorful and interesting burial structures. Also that way, you can go visit Knik Glacier, also with good photo possibilities.

Happy snappy!

Feb 14th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Paul Rabe

Get the latest copy of The Milepost, an ABSOLUTELY essential guide to driving in Alaska. It will tell of spots where the scenery is great, where wildlife spotting is possible, and where the road becomes dangerous.

For a LONG day trip, drive all the way to Homer. It's literally the end of the road, and you get some great viewing along the way.

Also, do some hikes in the Kenai Wildlife Refuge and Chugach National Forest. By spending a few hours away from the road, you'll be rewarded with some fantastic views.

Feb 14th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Postal

Rather than taking a boat to Portage Glacier, I recommend hiking up to Byron Glacier right near there. The Visitors Center can tell you where the trail starts.

Kincaid Park just south of the airport is crawling with moose, especially at dusk but often in the daylight as well. Be careful around them, especially if there is a calf.

Feb 15th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Barry

Do yourself (and your taste buds) a real favor and eat at Simon and Seaforts! It is fantastic!!!

Apr 25th, 2002, 11:02 AM
kf

I went to Seward in Early April late March and saw sea lions, sea otters, and eagles, right there at the Marina.....was the one of the best days I had in Alaska running around on the docks being "chased" by sea lions!

Apr 25th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Barb

I am leaving tomorrow night for Anchorage. Never been before. What Marina are you talking about? Where is it? Sounds great! Thx!

Search this Thread