COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Anchorage and Seward

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Kathy

Anchorage and Seward

We're traveling to Alaska for just 5-6 days in late August. We'll probably fly into Anchorage and then drive to Seward for the day cruise. Any advice on things we shouldn't miss? Also any great websites and whats the name of a good one-day cruise for Seward?

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:56 AM
cd

Hi Kathy!
I've wrote about this before, but as we were not spending a great deal of time in Anchorage, we did not have time to go to Denali, so we took a float plane out of Anchorage (Lake Hood) and the pilot flew over and around Mt Mckinley. It was spectacular! He landed on a glacial lake before coming back, right in the middle of the mountains, it was one of our most memorial events in Alaska!

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Jason

Well, the drive from Anchorage to Seward is itself beautiful. Keep your eyes open for sheep and whales along the way. One "must see" near Seward is Exit Glacier, which is about 5 miles out of town along the highway. Here, a mild hike leads you right up to a majestic glacier that you can touch. If you have a free day and are somewhat active, I would recommend a raft/float fishing trip along the Kenai River. We did a canyon trip with Alaska River Company out of Cooper Landing (about 90 min. from Seward, I believe) and it was beautiful. Plus, we must have caught about 60+ trout. We took our day cruise out of Whittier so I can't help you with Seward cruises, although I've heard the Kenai Fjords trip is supposed to be wonderful. You will love Alaska.

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:48 PM
rqf

Make it a full day trip and do the following in this order.
Stop at the Potter POint State GAme Refuge. Take a walk on the boardwalk that goes through Potter"s Marsh
Stop at Beluga Point. You might see whales
Go to the Alyeska Recreation area and take the tram to the top of the Mountain.
Take a boat ride (about one hour) to the base of the Portage Glacier.
Just before getting to Seward take the short hike to the foot of the Exit Glacier
Overnight in Seward and take a full or half day boat ride to Kenai Fjords National Park before heading back to Anchortage or on to Homer.
Suggest you purchase The Milepost, an invaluable guide if you are going to drive in Alaska.
On the drive to Seward and when returning if you see cars parked on the side of the road and people standing along the highway and looking up stop and do the same. They are probably looking at wildlife grazing on the heights running parallel to the highway.

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Alan Cleveland

The suggested itineraries sound great except that you MUST use your rear view mirror on the Seward Highway. Impeding traffic in excess of 4 cars is illegal and unsafe. Also, when stopping to look at the wildlife along Turnagain Arm, be sure to pull all the way off of the road and watch when stepping out of the car. It should be noted that there are many pull-outs along the road, and, if you see wildlife, specifically sheep, there will be a pull-out nearby.

I personally favor the company Kenai Fjords Tours for the day cruises in Seward. They are owned by Cook Inlet Regional Corporation (a Native corp.) and they donate generously to the community of Seward including the Senior High Graduation Party Cruises.

Old May 30th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Frank

I would recommend Mariah Cruises in Seward. They are owned by Kenai Fjords Tours, but use a smaller boat that allows close up looks. You need to make advance reservations for any of the cruises.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 05:28 PM
Connie

We were in Seward for two beautiful days and had no trouble getting tickets on Kenai Fjord Tours for the next day and it wasn't full.

We must have been lucky because unlike other posts I have read we had calm seas and no one was sick.

You can't walk up to Exit Glacier and touch it anymore. But you are close and I highly recommend it. The road is paved all the way there now and I heard they had spent a lot of money paving trails and updating bathrooms and such.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:18 AM
Connie

Another thing you might be interested in in Seward--

there are a couple of places downtown to use the internet. One right next to the other. One was quite a bit cheaper than the other (prices are posted on the front window). They had at least 20 computers.

The signs are small as they are both in the back of businesses.