Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Husband dropped ball on trip-planning! Need help choosing between Inside Passage and Kenai Peninsula

Search

Husband dropped ball on trip-planning! Need help choosing between Inside Passage and Kenai Peninsula

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband is bringing my oldest son to Alaska for his 13th birthday in July. This weekend he admitted that he has not planned a single aspect of the trip and is overwhelmed at all of the options. I am hoping some locals and seasoned travellers can help save this vacation.

They will have about 10 days in Alaska. They don't want to spend all of their time travelling from place to place; they'd rather stay in one area and really explore it. My husband was initially considering flying into Juneau and staying in the inside passage area; now he is leaning towards Seward/Homer/Kenai Peninsula. If you had to choose, which area would you select for your trip of a lifetime?

Here are the considerations:

They are not into the goldrush era or pipeline tours at all. They are very much into indigenous cultures and wildlife. My son's sole contribution to the planning is to state that he wants to see a bald eagle.

My present to my son is going to be a bear viewing day-trip using either Island Wings or Hallo Bay or Emerald Air.

They will not do a multiple-day cruise because we don't know how it will affect my son. He has a tendency to get queasy easily. But they would like to do one or two day trips to see whales.

We would be very grateful for any assistance.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:37 PM
jq

If they are flying into Anc, they might want to consider two nights in denali np. Ride the shuttle bus to Fish Creek at mile 66 of the 95 mile road, and I gurantee you will see wildlife. We have done this 3 times and saw grizzlies close up on all three, plus all the caribou, sheep you want, even 8 or nine wolves on last tour, plus moose inside and right outside the park. Then the Kenai peninsula sounds good. Maybe two or three nights in Seward, take the Kenai Fjords np 6 or 8 hr tour. Take bomine or something as this could be rough ride for a mile or so. Exit glacier, Seavy Family sled dog tour and ride are great. In Homer, the big trip is Katmai NP for a day or overnight. Fantastic but expensive. Fishing, kayaking, bay tours, trips across the bay for day are all nice. Do they need a 3rd. I'm getting antsy already, but wife says we are going to Hawaii this year.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 08:26 PM

You'll see eagles in either area, so that's not a consideration. IMO, the Kenai Pen. option provides a more diverse sample of what makes AK spectacular.

I'd second flying to Anchorage and doing the KP with a possible side trip to Denali. Some moving is necessary if you want to sample the best AK has to offer.

If you want eagles and bear viewing, Homer is a good base. You couple easily spend 4 days there with a bear viewing fly-in, a trip to Seldovia, fishing ...

But I'd also head to Seward for the Kenai Fjords trip and Exit Glacier visit.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 01:19 AM

Iwould do the Kenai Penninsula, especially with your son. They can take a fishing trip from Homer (You can choose from 1/2 and full day trips), Your son would probably enjoy the Sea Life Center in Seward, and they have several day cruises out of Seward that range in time from 2.5 hours to 8+ hours. I also agree with going to Exit Glacier. It's an easy 1/2 mile walk to get up close with a magnificant glacier.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 02:20 AM

I vote for the Kenai Peninsula, too. Make sure the Pratt Museum in Homer is on the list of things to do. The drive south from Anchorage is spectacular. I suggest your son (and Dad) start reading the Anchorage Daily News daily to become acquainted with wildlife news and issues. www.adn.com The Sealife Center in Seward is small but enjoyable. They might want to take the behind the scenes tour too. What a great trip they'll have! Visit the Iditarod websites to learn more about the Seavey family and their dogs.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:54 AM

The Kenai Peninsula will offer the most, as others here suggest. Verify- bear viewing out of Homer and consider an overnight trip perhaps??? But if your son gets seasick, then I STRONGLY suggest you consult with his MD and get definate precaution recommendations as he will never make it on any Kenai Fjords boat tour. But it is just excellent and offers superb varied wildlife. This is not a whale watch however and you are not going to an area where they are guaranteed. Juneau has that. I would consider renting a RV, first off it is more convenient with a ready bathroom and fridge and more comfortable for the down time for your son.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great advice! This settles it--KP it is.

jq, if a third gets to go, I get first dibs! We'll keep you in mind for a 4th. (Seriously, I'm sure Hawaii will be wonderful.) When did you see wolves in DNP? That would be a dream come true for my husband. He's been backpacking in Yellowstone several times, but has never been lucky enough to see the wolves that were released there.

I'm glad to hear that a trip to Denali is an option. We've just seen so many outrageous itineraries that we don't want to fall into that trap.

They will definitely visit Exit Glacier and the Seavey family. dfrostnh, great suggestion about the Daily News. I will also look into RV rental and medication for my son.

Thanks again, you guys are the best!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:49 AM
jq

Last year in our late August trip to denali, we saw both wolf packs in denali while riding shuttle bus to Wonder Lake. In the first, we saw 7-8 walking a hundred yards or so from the road. The second pack, we could only spot 4-5 on the way back in another area in thicker vegetation. On our first trip to denali, we saw grizzly right next to road and about a 150' above him was a wolf laying in the sun watching him and us.
Old May 24th, 2005, 07:00 AM

I have found the best medication for any trip is Bonine, which can be purchased at any drug store. It is similar to Dramamine but without any drowsiness! I am a notorious 6 bagger - if you know what I mean! That was before a travel agent told me she tells all of her travellers to use Bonine, and to take one every day regardless of the plan. We have been all over Europe on boats, trains, planes and automobiles and in every type of weather. I have never had a problem since finding this wonderful little pill. Have him to begin taking it the day before he leaves and every morning thereafter. It is chewable, so if he forgets to take it with water, he can pop it anywhere. It truly is liberating to me and makes the trip so much better!!