Have you driven the Al-Can?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to hear from anyone who has made the journey. How long did it take? Is the road good enough for a two wheel drive van? (We often drive it on forest service roads.) Did you enjoy the trip? How was the wildlife viewing along the way?(I overheard one traveler comment that it was "just a bunch of tundra!") Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 11:27 AM

I truly thought this was going to be a question about eating at all inclusives and getting sick! Excuse my ignorance !

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Done it. 2WD not a problem, now paved all the way. Wildlife viewing - not much, but YMMV. Look out for midnight moose in parts of YT and AK. Road construction happens, so there will be some miles on gravel. Remember the summer is about the only time they can do roadwork.

Enjoyable? Sure if you don't mind really long drives. The country is quite scenic in places, not so scenic in others, lousy in the rain. In early summer or spring there are a lot of bumps and potholes caused by frost heaves. It can be dusty.

Wanna see a great trip report that includes snow season passage on the Alaska (not Alcan - old term) Highway? Look here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496191
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gardyloo! That is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. Do you happen to remember how long it took you?
Thanks also for the website you suggested. I'm on my way to check it out now.

I would still love to hear from others who have made this trip. What's your opinion?

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 06:22 PM
KMK

Just did the drive this May, moving up to Alaska. Definitely not a problem for 2-wheel drive, particularly in the summer. Paved all the way, but the construction areas are a pain & can be really ripped up, but just take it slow. (We did this pulling a trailer.)

I really thought it was beautiful & scenic the whole way. (caveat: getting TO the Alaska Highway was painful - we came from Ohio, and the drive through Manitoba & Saskatchewan is excuriatingly boring, long, and flat...and, really windy when we came through.)

Highlights: interesting towns along the way such as Dawson Creek (start of highway), the town with the signpost forest (darn, I can't remember the name), Whitehorse (interesting historically & scenically), and Haines Junction (visitor center to Kluane Natl Park). Enjoyed camping along the way; campground at Toad River really nice right along the water, & our campground in Haines Junction was also really nice. Stopped at Liard Hot Springs, Stone Mountain Provincial Park, Muncho Lake, and in the Kluane Lake area. Also recall quite a bit of beautiful mountain scenery all along the way, and some interesting & somewhat scary bridges. Hmm, also stopped at Silver City (abandoned mining town, pretty neat, road to there is a little dicey, but we towed the trailer in, so you probably wouldn't have a problem.)

We saw quite a bit of wildlife, particularly caribou & sheep, but at least one bear as well. Probably depends on time of year.

I seem to remember more trees than tundra, and it was fairly mountainous most of the way (although it is routed so as to go through the lower & less extreme parts of the mountains).

It is interesting because you see the same people along the route the whole way - it's mostly either tourists or people moving to or from Alaska.

It's a bit disconcerting to see not much civilization between the 'towns'. Plan your gas, meal, & lodging stops in advance; it is very helpful to get a copy of 'The Milepost' if you go, as it tells pretty much what is at every milepost along the way.

The Alaska Highway portion of our trip took about 5 days. We were not rushing. I'm sure it could be done quicker to 'get it over with', or longer to enjoy it more. The true Alaska Highway portion I really enjoyed (although the part in Alaska is really not the most scenic part of Alaska, IMHO). Getting there, though, ick!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 08:21 PM

If you're driving both ways, consider taking the Alcan up and the Cassiar back.

The ``just a bunch of tundra'' remark is completely untrue.

Two-wheel drive is no problem, except during snowy months. Spring brings frost heaves. My trips ranged from four to six days depending on my schedule, but college students heading out or in, have posted some unbelievably quick trios -- not advised.

Study the Milepost -- before you go -- and you'll have a much better time and less anxiety in the lonely stretches.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 09:30 PM

My trips ranged from four to six days depending on my schedule, but college students heading out or in, have posted some unbelievably quick trios -- not advised.

Yeah - kids going back and forth over winter breaks through -40 and driving straight through in shifts to the east coast in like 5 days. Ah, youth... ah, madness...

IIRC (haven't done it in some years and really, flying is much easier ) there's not all that much tundra - some around Kluane, and depending on routes within Alaska, but mainly forest and trees and dust and the license plate of the RV in front of you, the standard automotive view of the Great North.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 02:05 AM

Drove it in July 2000, really enjoyed it. Spectacular scenery and saw quite a bit of wildlife. (If you see a car or two stopped by the side of the road, good idea to slow down and see why. More times than not, someone has spotted a bear, etc.) The Milepost tip is a good one, describes the road mile by mile and lets you know how far you are from the next gas station/quick mart. At the tourist info center in Dawson Creek, you can purchase a certificate which says you have completed the drive. Nothing official, it looks like someone spent an afternoon drawing it and then went to Kinkos, but it frames nicely and looks good on the wall... If you camp overnite in Dawson Creek, take a look around and notice the vehicles and people. You will see/pass/be passed by these same individuals for the next few days. Enjoy the trip, it really is pretty special.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Great information. I guess traveling from Virginia we're in for a really long haul. I'm ready! So, where does one find a copy of the Milepost? I hadn't heard of it before. It sounds like a terrific resource.
Thanks!
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 10:12 PM

Amazon.com. It's published annually but if you get one a couple of years old second hand it will be fine.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 05:40 AM

cactushugger,
I drove it as it was being cleared and paved in 1967. My little Beetle handled crossing streams, construction sections etc. but the rocks pounding the underside of my fenders left bumps while the headlights were both broken. When I got to Laird hot springs it was a relief to soak with a Cool one. The next day (3rd)I finally hit pavement and had to stop because of the feeling of euphoria. Took a while to get over that. For wildlife you will see Dahl sheep and everything in between. The lanolin rich coats of the Grizzlies are beautiful. If you take pictures you will need the largest telephoto lens you can handle as the distances are hard to comprehend. Bug spray is a must! It's an adventure...have fun.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 03:19 AM

Cactushugger, noticed you are driving from VA. That's where I drove from as well, it took 10 days from Richmond to Fairbanks. Didn't think there was that much asphalt in the world, but the landscape in western Cananda was worth the trip alone. Couple of things you might check out..there is a museum near Drumheller, Alberta called the Royal Tyrell Dinasaur(?) Museum which has an incredible amount of reconstructed skeletons and is an excellent, informative place to spend an afternoon. In Regina, there is a training facility and museum devoted to the Royal Canadian Mounties, even got to see a full dress parade.
Seems to me I got my Milepost at the local Barnes and Noble...it really is a good source. Enjoy.