to Lahaina or not to Lahaina?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is there to do in Lahaina? Is it a seaside town trying to trap the bored tourists or is it a must see living museum? What about dining in the town? I hear that Gerard's Restaurant is one of the best in the state. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 04:54 AM

If you've never been there and you like to shop - go for it! So you spend an hour, look around, and high tail it out a there. We enjoyed looking at the art galleries when we went, but that's just us.

To each his own.

Steve R
Maryland
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 06:47 AM

We just spent several hours in Lahania on a YMT in Hawaii. Oh, be sure and go there! It is very touristy but fun; kinda like Key West, FL. There are tons of restaurants ie. Bubba Gumps, Pioneer Inn and of course, lots of shopping.
There are lots of boat charters to choose from ie. fishing charters, Atlantis submarines, sunset cruises, catamarans, etc. Lahaina means "MERCILESS SUN" & it was hotter than blazes when we were there last week. But, it is definately worth a visit.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 07:46 AM
dcespedes

There's also a huge, beautiful banyan tree...I really enjoyed Lahaina and am hoping to get back there in January

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 07:54 AM

Lahaina is definately touristy! Like someone else said, art galleries, etc. After we left, we went for lunch to a restaurant called the Plantation. It is in Kapulua ( I may have spelled this wrong) Right near the Ritz Carlton. Wonderful views and fabulous food! Of course we stayed in the Wailea, which is my favorite part of Maui! Have fun!
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 07:56 AM

Also, the luau in Lahaina is one of the best.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 08:00 AM

There is a wonderful walking tour with lots of history. We spent the better part of a day just walking around and seeing the old churches, gravesites, old buildings and of course the beautiful banyan tree. You can relax under the tree and just read for awhile and enjoy people watching. Sit and have a drink overlooking the harbor is very nice. Lots to do if you look for it. Even walking the neighborhoods and seeing how the people live is interesting
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 08:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<Is it a seaside town trying to trap the bored tourists or is it a must see living museum?>... IMO, it's a little of both!

I spent 1 week in Lahaina and enjoyed it alot. I'd call it somewhat "honky-tonk" in atmosphere. Loads of tourist shops, galleries, restaurants along the main street, but I thought they were fun. The self-guided historical walking tour, explaining various landmarks and buildings around town, was interesting to do. Saw two good shows in the evenings.

As I've found in other "touristy" places, if you walk a few blocks inland or go shopping at the grocery store, you'll bump into plenty of local folks just going about their lives.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 11:51 AM

I would suggest getting tickets to see Ulalena - a theatre performance in Lahaina (a few blocks away from the water) produced by the same people who produce Cirque du Soleil. Wonderful live musicians, lighting, dance, artistry - all tell the story of the creation of the Hawaiian islands and the culture of the peoples. Any seat will be fine. There aren't any obstructed views there.

While Lahaina has a multitude of redundant shops there hawking identical "stuff" (quoting George Carlin there), there are some standouts that you will find worthwhile.

All watersports are available here. We also bought tix for a Trilogy cruise aboard a catamaran powered sailboat and the crew was the difference that makes this a strong recommendation. Great food, great service, they really have their act together. One of the crew was fluent in Japanese. Snorkeling and a Hawaiian cowboy ranch to visit are possible after arriving at the island of Lanai (?), dolphin views, turtle views, sunset on the return to the harbor. Looking at the skipper, I was reminded of Jimmy Buffet. The 3 or 4 man crew were extremely polite, funny, and they all cook a nice meal on the island in a real kitchen, served in a covered "dining hall" near the harbor there. Also provide drinks and sandwiches and champagne / mimosa onboard.

We skipped Bubba Gump's for the same reason we always skip any chain restaurant while on any vacation. We could visit those at home, couldn't we?

We found a great two-story restaurant, with tables facing the water, where we could have chilled oysters and martinis for the best price around. I'd have to check my CC receipts for the exact details.

For best restaurant suggestions, you should indicate your preferences here.