Switching Airlines 2nd leg of trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone flown one airline to one city and then connecting on a different airline? If so, I have a question for you, when I check my bags in at the departing airport, will they tag my luggage for my 2nd leg or do I have to gather my luggage and check in with the other airline at the connecting airport?
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 09:49 AM

It depends on a lot of factors:

Is is a single ticket or separate tickets?

Are the airlines partners - or unconnected?

Are both flights domestic?

Are arriving and departing flights even in the same building?

Have you called the first airline to ask their policy?
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 09:50 AM
P_M

If one of those airlines is SW, then probably not. However, many airlines have agreements to check each other's bags, even if they are not alliance partners. The flights do not have to both be domestic, nor do they have to be at the same terminal. I recently went on a trip where I bought a ticket on Continental from Austin to Houston, then used a seperate ticket to London on British Airways. I had assumed since they are not alliance partners that my bag would not be checked through, but under the advice of Beach Boi of this board, I called to inquire and it turned out they do have an agreement to check bags for each other. The best way to find out is to call and ask.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 11:10 AM

We were real surprised that our USAir tickets which were actually United flights transferred our bags to ERA aviation for our flight from Anchorage to Kenai. This is a small commuter airline. Our bags were also transferred on our return trip. I'm so glad my husband thought to ask. We had purchased the ERA tickets separately. It definitely pays to ask.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 11:10 AM

There are probably as many answers to your question as there are itineraries -- and even then, you may find yourself facing the unexpected.

I recently did a trip on a codeshare ticket with Delta and Continental/Gulfstream. Southbound, my bags were checked all the way through and I was issued boarding passes all the way down. However, when I had to change airlines at FLL, I had to change terminal buildings -- they are NOT connected at FLL, meaning I had to go outside, walk to the next building, and re-clear security (which was complicated by a cruise ship or two off-loading at the same time).

Northbound, bags were not checked all the way through (no biggie, since we had to clear customs anyway). However, we had to check in with Delta on arrival to FLL since the ticket counter at the tiny airport we departed from was unable to issue boarding passes all the way through. And, as before, we had to go to a different terminal building.

Bottom line: expect the unexpected, and allow plenty of time for it -- EVEN if your tickets are issued by one airline with a codeshare arrangement with the other.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 11:16 AM
GoTravel

If you bought one ticket and you are flying on different airlines with this ticket, you luggage will be transferred for you.

Example: I bought a US Airways ticket from Charleston, SC to San Diego California. Flew USAir from CHS to O'Hare and United from O'Hare to San Diego and luggage was transferred.

If you bought two tickets, say Southwest from Kansas City to RDU and Delta from RDU to ATL you may need to gather your own luggage.

Ask the airline.

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 12:59 PM

As long as the 2 airlines have interline agreements, you should be able to check your bags through. Many discount carriers do not. It really doesn't matter whether you have one or two tickets or whether the 2 airlines are partners or not. If you have 2 seperate tickets, when you check in with Airline A, you'll need to show them your ticket on Airline B, so they can tag your luggage for the correct flights/destination (assuming they have interline agreements).
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 01:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ideas:

Ask the airlines involved.

OR travel with a small carry-on rolling suitcase only.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 02:19 PM

tlbooz, do keep in mind if your first flight has no agreement with airline of your second flight (Southwest or JetBlue for example for first flight and than say American for your second flight) you will have a problem if your first flight does not get you to the airport in time for your second flight. That second airline, if you are not at the gate on time, will just show you as a "no show" and your ticket will no longer be valid.