Search

Tips Hotel Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips Hotel Upgrades

Going to Maui in May. Staying in the Mountainview room at the 4 seasons and the Garden view at the Ritz. How do I get a room upgrade? What to I say and do? Never tried it before. We will be celebrating our 30th Wedding anniversity.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:29 AM
GoTravel

Call ahead of time and find out how full the hotel is (May is a big honeymoon month). The lower the occupancy, the higher your chances for an upgrade. Sign up for the Ritz-Carlton's frequent stay program. Ask very nicely and politely at the front desk for an upgrade. Most importantly, let them know you are celebrating your 30th anniversary.

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:36 AM

this may work as Ive used it 3 x now

I have gone in and said I work for the (hotel chain you are staying with) in whatever place applicable as reservations/ check in whatever, spoke to my reservation and they said if you had the availablity we could be upgraded. Check in person working for same compnay as you hopefully just check you in..

Then bobs your uncle and in the exec suite you go!!! It only works on the chains!!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 09:19 AM
OliveOyl

Not this chain bacardi. Virtually very employee coming in, from jr managers to housekeepers, comes in at an employee rate, 1/3 the going rate! I can't imagine that most other majors don't have similar employee perks. If you aren't here on the employee rate, you aren't an employee, simple as that.

pattyshearts, I too would mention the anniversary, and I read somewhere else that you are planning on renewing your vows. As this is another line that has been used both truthfully and not so truthfully, if you are having the ceremony there and they know it, it's all the more likely that you will be upgraded if they have any space at all. Congrats on 30 years! Well done.

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 10:12 AM

www.virtuoso.com - travel agents have an agreement with 4S to give room upgrades when possible. Worked for me 4S oc view BI & Maui exec suite. If you decide to do this use a big virtuoso agency in Lax or NY.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 10:15 AM

I agree with OliveOyl about trying barcadi's recommendation. I'm surprised it even worked once!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Dan

I work for a major hotel company. Not only do we get the employee rate (or comp, depending on the property) but sometimes we even have to carry a "letter of introduction" from our general manager or HR department!
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 07:10 AM

My family refers to me as the "Scam King" for my ability to obtain upgrades. Of course, the best method is to have some kind of repeat business connection (frequent guest programs and the like). When you go to some place more than once, you should try to learn some names and recgnize them the next time you check in.

The key thing is to establish some rapport with the desk clerk (or gate agent). Try to hit the desk when they aren't busy if you can -- I'd even consider leaving my bags and coming back after a meal or hanging in the bar for a bit until it slows down. If the clerk is slammed, your odds go way down.

Try to explain your situation to the clerk in a conversational way and ask if some rooms have a quiter location or a nicer view or are a bit larger than others and if there is any way he/she can get you into a good location. I don't ask for an upgrade per se, just the best possible room they can find. If they like you and your anniversary story and they aren't full, they'll upgrade you -- if not, they'll probably find you the best example of your type of room available. The honeymoon/anniversary story would work quite well anywhere but Hawaii, where that is probably the case for 20% of their guests. Nonetheless, it is still worth a shot.

You might also ask if they can get you a better rate on a nicer room. Sometimes if the hotel is not full, they can upgrade you for a much smaller fee than you were originally quoted for the ocean view.

Good luck!