Old Aug 10th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping - NYT OP-ED Piece

Ah yes, the tipping debate continues

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/10/op...html?th&emc=th

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 02:23 PM

Interesting article, but one thing that isn't addressed is that when the service charge is included (even in Europe) more and more customers tip on top of that, and are often expected to do so.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Patrick, is it really customary in the US to give an additional tip on top of a service charge? I wasn't aware of that and I wonder how common that really is.

With the exception of one time, we were pretty underwhelmed with service when the service charge was included. It then becomes the question of whether questionable service is a result of knowing the service charge is included, or just poor service (stemming from the fact that it is a large party which is more difficult to manage).

But I thought it was an interesting article.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 05:32 AM

When the standard tip has stretched to 20% for good service in a "fine" restaurant, then yes I'd say an additional tip to an imposed 15 or 18% service charge IS expected in a really nice place -- particularly since the charge slip normally comes marked "minimum" or "required" service charge already filled in with a carefully labeled blank for "tip" or "gratuity" to fill in.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 05:56 AM

What I want to know is why tipping the housekeeping staff in hotels in now "expected" - I would think cleaning the rooms is part of the price of a hotel. Particularly since so many hotels now only change linens and towels "by request" - they sell it as an environmental thing which is fine but it is also a cost-saving measure. So why should I tip a housekeeper who comes in, makes the bed, wipes a dustcloth around, picks up and replaces 1 towel - it's beyond me.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 06:31 AM

I tip the maid, but in some agreement with Tigerhawk about the fact that hotels use guilt tactics to save money on laundering.

Maybe the daily room rate should be less after the first night? Hotel AND guest can BOTH reap the environmental benefits AND the economic benefits of "reusing" linen. (and I work pt at a hotel front desk)
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 06:34 AM

Thomas Keller's extremely expensive, and overrated in my opinion, PER SE is now including a 20% tip on all bills.

The pathetic excuse? The extra revenue is needed to compensate the young chefs in such a competitive market. Much of the wait staff is allegedly furious.

Hey, here's a thought -- raise the chefs' salaries!

I hope New Yorkers refuse to tolerate it -- one of my colleagues has cancelled a reservation for his parents' anniversary dinner.