Old Feb 7th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much do you tip housekeeping?

And do you do it each morning? Thanks.
Trish
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:07 AM

We usually tip $3.00-$5.00 a day. Leave it on the pillow so she'll know its for her. If you leave it on the dresser or desk they might not realize that is for them.
LisaS
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:19 AM

Like Lisa, we usually tip $3 to $5 a day. (We gauge it on various factors...)

It is not uncommon at all for a different person to do it every day, or for more than one person to do it during a stay, so if you wait until the end, it might not get spread around fairly.

We do it on the way out the door for the day.

Also, Lisa makes a good point to leave it on the pillow. We take envelopes along with us for the purpose, and some hotels provide them.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:10 AM

Do you leave tips for housekeeping in places that already have a 10% service charge added to the hotel bill? I'm always suspicious that the service people never see much of that 10%, but, I have already paid the service charge.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Jean, most of the islands do have a service fee tacked on to the bill, and in most cases, the money does not trickle down. (We've asked.)

I think that is supposed to be a govt tax, but I've never really gotten a straight answer when I've asked management.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:30 AM

We generally tip around $2 per person per day, and more if we notice that the housekeeping staff has done little extra things for us. We try to remember to bring little envelopes and we leave them on the bed, but if not, we wrap the dollars up in a piece of paper and write "For Housekeeping, Thank You" on it.

I've heard conflicting things about the service charge, too, but I always leave something additional anyway. I figure that I would tip at least 15% here at home, so we always pay at least that difference and almost always more. At the one place that I"ve returned to again and again, we tip the staff we encounter as we go along, such as housekeeping, meal service, and bar tenders, and then we leave something else for the tip pool that we are assured by both owners and employees is distributed among everyone--grounds keepers, maintenance, line chefs, etc.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I usually tip in the beginning and then again at the end. I usually ask for things in the beginning like towels or pillows, etc.. I never really thought about the changing of the maid staff, especially true in large resorts. I will remember that next trip to leave a little something each day. It is a much nicer touch.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Looks like I might be in the minority here but when a hotel includes a 10% service charge plus a 10% government tax then I don't generally feel obligated to leave more. Most islands we've been to have this 10% service charge plus 10% tax. We usually ask at the hotel what the service charge is for and have been told it covers bell services, housekeeping and concierge services. We often stay at more upscale resorts and that 10% can be a pretty big chunk of change. So unless someone does something out of the ordinary for me, I assume that 10%, which can be $50 a night or more, is going to cover my share of the tip.

On the other hand, if a hotel does not include a service charge we usually leave $5/day, every day, for housekeeping. I usually leave it on the pillow in the morning when we leave the room.

I don't generally feel obligated to tip a concierge for simply making us a dinner reservation or booking a sightseeing trip. That's pretty much their job. But if I've used their services every night for dinner reservations and especially if they've been pleasant then I generally leave them $40-50 at the end of the trip with a thank you note.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 03:59 PM

We always tip the housekeeping staff. Tbey're the ones really taking care of you. We leave $5 per day.

I worked in a motel at the jersey shore when I was a teenager and we got squat from the mgmt. Our tips left by the guests was it!

Peace, Greenie