Times Square on New Year's Eve

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anybody tell me -- how is Time's Square on New Year's Eve? Would you let your 18-year old go with friends? Is it safe? Fun? Thanks!
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 03:42 PM

I would avoid Time's Square at all costs. First, it is enormously difficult to get anywhere near the ball because the police have just about every cross street cordoned off. Last year I remember the streets being closed well into the 60s. Second, from own experience, there are just too many people packed into too small an area. It was not enjoyable. There are a number of other great ways to celebrate New Year's in New York. I spent one New Year's on the Brooklyn Bridge with friends as the fireworks in the river went off. It was a great time with everyone celebrating together.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 03:53 PM

Well my 18 year old and his friends (thankfully) are poor planners. Last year they left late, hoping to get close to Time Square. That didn't happen. They (he was with his friends) made it as far as Central Park for the fireworks. They had a great time. Afterwards they headed back to Grand Central Terminal, got on Metro North and were home before 2am.

Will your 18 year old be staying in the City?
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:19 PM

Yes- it's safe. And it can be alot of fun for 18 yeaar olds - but not IMHO for anyone a whole lot older.

But you need to know it requires getting there many hours in advance - like 4 pm at the latest, being herded into pens by the police after a security exam (and you can't leave until after the ball drops - barring a heart attack), there may or may not be facilities in your particular pen - and it can be incredibly cold and windy.

There's no drinking allowed - and you can;t bring in any sizeable packs with food, drinks etc - but can only get what's offered in your particular pen.

Personally I think the fireworks in Central Park - much more accesible - less standing and frezing - are a better idea.

But if they're ever to do the Times Square ting 18 is the time - they have the stamina, endurance, and dare I say it - stupidity - to put up with the conditions.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:28 PM

"But if they're ever to do the Times Square ting 18 is the time - they have the stamina, endurance, and dare I say it - stupidity - to put up with the conditions."

...How very true!
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

OK, this thread has been reallly enjoyable. I love seetheworld's comment about her 18 year old being a bad planner!!! I've never met one that I would call a good planner. This is all good information.

It sounds perfectly DREADFUL to me -- he'll probably love it. I will try to steer them to Brooklym Bridge or Central Park.

He is staying with friends in Jersey City. (Of course, since he is "home" from college, and we live 6 hours from NYC, I'm really wishing he'd just stay home.)
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 05:11 AM

I believe there are usually "First Night" celebrations throughout the city, too. There used to be one at Grand Central. You might check that out.

You couldn't pay me to go to TS on New Year's Eve -- it's definitely for the young and those with strong bladders! (see nytraveler's comments about the NYPD pens).
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

I was thinking -- don't they put at least one portable toilet in each pen??? How is someone supposed to not go to the bathroom from 4 in the afternoon to midnight?
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Friends (adults) that did this a couple of years ago said you had to go out of the secured area to go to the bathroom - with no hopes of getting back in. So, to answer your question, I guess those who can't hold it, don't (hold it). Which is why I'd never go to TS on NYE. Neither do my Manhattan friends.

Now, if one could secure a hotel room with a view, that would be a different story!
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Very safe. Very secured.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 11:52 AM

There will be fireworks at the Statue of Liberty this year. There will be great views of that from Jersey City.