Times Square area restaurants for a group

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is traveling to New York in May for my youngest daughter's graduation from Barnard. There will be sixteen of us including siblings, cousins, uncles and aunts. I would like to book a few restaurants that will seat all of us. My older daughter, son-in-law and grandsons (ages 6 and 2) will be staying in an apartment near Times Square so I would like something in that area so they can walk without worrying about cabs or subways with the children. We usually eat at excellent restaurants when we go to New York, but that won't be easy with such a large crowd, so we will settle for atmosphere and decent food if we have to. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure the earlier I book the better.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 04:44 PM

What cuisines do you like or dislike?

What is your price point?

Are you talking about lunch or dinner?

For 16 people you will probably have to reserve a private room (this will help resolve the issue of two little ones who won;t be welcome in public rooms of many places). - and expect that there may be a limited menu and they will ask you to make an advance deposit. (If you reserve at several places you may end up losing some of those deposits.)
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

We are very open to different cuisines. With a group this size we don't want to go ultra expensive. We would like to keep it under $100 per person, not including wine. I am talking dinner.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 06:23 PM

Well you will hear the President address the graduates much to the chagrin of some who teach and go to school across the street at his alma mater.

While I understand you concern about others not having to move about there are a limited number of places in Times Square for a celebratory dinner.

There have been some good reviews for E & E but I have not eaten there and Le Bernandin will be too expensive.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

While it sounds great that the President will speak, it means that we will only have 6 tickets instead of the unlimited attendance which prompted everyone to make plans to go from Texas and California. I have two graduates of the school across the street who have no problems with the speaker, but do worry that they may not be able to see their sister graduate. Anyway, I will look into E&E. Thanks.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 02:19 AM

Tony's di Napoli is on 43rd St. between 6th & 7th closer to 7th.

There is a private room downstairs that could accomodate your party. I have been to a couple of functions here & if your party likes Italian, this might be your answer:

http://www.tonysnyc.com/menu/index3.html
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 03:20 AM

New Italian that has received reviews far better than the usual touristy "family style" places in Times Square; they have a private room. Don't let the name fool you, as they have a full menu as well as bar menu.

They are famous for their "montanera" style pizza, a craze that is currently very popular here.

I have not been but people whose opinions are giving it high marks. NY Magazine gave it 3 stars.

http://www.pizzarteny.com/
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 04:35 AM

If you like French Bistro - a great little place on 311 West 51st - is Tout Va Bien. You could walk it from Times Square - and I also wrote a review about it in here - under New York.

Your family/group could sit in front - and they also have a back room. see: http://www.letoutvabien.com/
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 04:54 AM

If you like Greek food, we really enjoyed Dafni - cute place and the food and service were very good.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 05:40 AM

The "Times Square area" is pretty large and apt rentals (which btw are mostly illegal for less than 30 days unless it's an apartment hotel) often say the place is in the Times Square area when it may not be. Since that's what limiting your dining options, you should tell us where it is. Staying on 39 st. & 10th ave. is different than 50 st. & 8th ave. I'll also warn that many restaurants will add a fixed tip onto the bill for a party that large.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 07:49 AM

If you are going to be near Barnard, I would consider the original Carmine's on 93rd and Broadway or Turkuaz around Broadway and 100th street I think.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 08:46 AM

Dopo Teatro on W. 44th St has a private room downstairs that should work well for you. You can even order family style, with enough variety to please everyone.

A friend hosts a "Carnevale" dinner there every year and the food is always excellent.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the suggestions. Just to be clear, they are not renting an apartment, but instead staying with a third daughter near 38th and 8th. It is so much easier to be in an apartment when you are traveling with children. We are planning for several nights so we will look into several locations. We do expect that a fixed tip will be added to the bill, but that is no problem. Thanks.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM

I've never been but Mercato is a block away and gets very good reviews. http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/mercato/
32 st. is little Korea and there are Korean BBQ places where you cook your food at the table which fascinates kids. I've been to Kum Gang San with kids and it's a good place for large groups and families. http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/kum-gang-san/

Gingers is a pretty good Chinese in the area. http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/gingers/
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your suggestions, but in the end we went to two restaurants that nobody mentioned, both of which were wonderful to my grandsons and no one seemed to mind that they were the only children in the house. They also handled our large crowd with no problems and gave speedy service which helps with young children. Casa Noona (310 West 38th St.) was a great experience with excellent Italian food and beautiful decor. I was afraid it would be too stuffy for the kids, but the steady stream of delicious appetizers kept them happy from the start. Our second group meal was at an old favorite, Victors on West 52nd. The Cuban food is great for kids and the atmosphere was lively and welcoming. They provided a high chair which helped and the food was great. Thank you for the help however, because our daughters plan to check out the other restaurants mentioned for future trips.