Time Allowed For Sightseeing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I just have two days in D.C.
We know better than to try to cram everything in during this brief visit. (hopefully we will return to the area again on a future trip) We are staying at a KOA campground where they take us to the New Carrolton Metro station at 9AM, and return to the campground at 6PM.
Given the brief hours we will have, I would like any advice regarding our itinerary for the hours we will have in D.C.
On the first day we want to go to the DAR Museum, and from there visit the Vietnam Memorial, and WW II Memorial, stopping for lunch somewhere between the two places. Is this too much/too little, and can we walk between the DAR Museum and those memorials? Since we know we can't "see everything", we want to make sure we have time to do both the museum and the memorials justice.
The second day I would like to visit the National Art Gallery while my husband spends a few hours at the Air and Space Musem. We would like to meet for lunch someplace after that. For what is left during the remainder of the afternoon we have no plans, but would probably choose something not too far from our morning's touring. I would appreciate advice from people who can tell me that if doing "two things per day" is enough for people who would rather not rush through what I have mentioned, but on the other hand, who do not want to be left with too much spare time. Also I would like suggestions for lunch in the areas we will be in on the two days we will be in D.C.
Thanks for any advice you can offer to tourists who don't try to see "everything", but would like to see "a few things well"!

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:13 PM

Hello Icray, you might want to repost this and in the title of your new thread entitle it something along the lines of "DC Sightseeing Suggestions for 2 Days".

That way those here that have answers for you will no doubt click on your thread.

If you read other thread titles on Fodors you will get a feel as to how to word your title with good information to catch the eye of those with good answers.

Your two days will be fun I am sure. Enjoy!!
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:44 PM
P_M

I agree with LoveItaly. You will get plenty of help from this board, but you must catch the eye of the DC experts by putting it in your title. Good luck!!
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:48 PM

I had a very brief chat with my kids High School teacher a month ago about the senior class trip to DC. This sparks my first comment. Many schools do a DC trip perhaps you could inquire locally for lessons learned. Perhaps call the local High School and get your tax money working for you in this area. This one lesson learned sticks out in my mind. They will be staying at a certain hotel because the subway stop is in/under the hotel. Very handy lesson learned from previous trips. I do not recall the hotel name but the internet should find it. But you are camping so this tip may apply to others reading this.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 03:26 AM

We are planning to visit Washington DC next year and we always take the Historic trolley tour the first day we're in an unknown city. The other days are used to visit ,in depth, the things we like best. Paul
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:10 AM

Hi!

I managed to do so much of DC in just a couple of days. My way isn't for everyone, but here's how we did it:

Day 1: Start at Whitehouse, walked down to the Washington Monument and up it (fantastic views!) then walked to the Holocaust Museum, very interesting, then did the Federal Bureau of Engraving and Printing (where you can see them print millions of $$! a very worthwhile tour, imo!) then round to the Jefferson Memorial (which was great but very slippery on ice in December!) then walked further around to the Lincoln Memorial, Reflecting Pool, Vietnam Memorial and back up to the Whitehouse area for dinner. We started about 7:30am and had done this by about 5pm. The next day we went east from the Whitehouse, and saw the Fords Theatre where Lincoln was shot, the National Archives where we saw the original Constitution and Declaration of Independance, and lots of other stuff, then saw the outside of the FBI building, and went to the Spy Museum (excellent place!!), went into the Capitol, saw the Supreme Court etc. In the afternoon we caught the Metro to Arlington and toured around there (humbling), went to the Pentagon and Pentagon Mall to shop a little. I've probably left something out but all in all, it was busy, but we saw everything we wanted to in excellent detail and quality, we didn't rush any of it. We didn't do the museums you have mentioned but hopefully next time for us.

Have a wonderful time!
Rachel
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 06:10 AM

On your second day, I suggest you consider meeting at the Native American Indian Museum for lunch; it's between your two museums and quite good.

I'm a great fan of using the Metro, but with your limited time see if there will be a MARC train that arrives at New Carrolton around 9am. It will bring you to Union Station nonstop, while the Orange line has many stops before you are actually in DC.

You may wish to rent a car so you can extend your visiting yours in DC. 9am til 6pm each day seems SO short.

Use the website http://rideguide.wmata.com for Metro schedules, transfers, prices, and even walking directions/distances.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 06:50 AM

Hi lcray, Take a look at a DC map for the DAR to Vietnam memorial. If the weather's good, and you are fit, I'd say it's an ok walk. I haven't been to WWII yet. If you have time, the FDR memorial is great, and going up Washington monument is worth the view as other poster mentioned. Ask other Fodorites about food in that particular area-I'm not familiar-there's probably stuff nearer DAR.

The gallery/air and space: gallery has places to eat in both buildings and, as other poster mentioned Indian museum has nice restaurant. Since you could spend all day in both places, I'm not sure if stopping and meeting for lunch is as do-able on day 2.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Actually, I must agree with donco that with so much at each of the museums and both of them having their own dining venues that it seems a waste of time meeting up if you'll both be returning to separate museums.

You'll find little to eat between the monuments; I think there's a snack stand near Lincoln Monument. You might wish to catch some "fast food" after the DAR hall visit, or bring some food; you have such limited time! Suggest instead of "going" someplace to eat to consider the walk thru Vietnam, head to Lincoln, Korean, FDR, walk counter clockwise around Tidal Basin to see Jefferson, continue to WWII. You'll remember those monuments long after any meal. Just my opinion.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 09:03 AM

If you're into beautiful interior
arch, then make sure to see
the library of Congress, Jefferson
bldg!!
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 09:27 AM

A couple of hours at the Air and Space museum will fly by, you will end up spending more time there than you planned to.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Just to clarify: art buildings have 2 or 3 places to eat; I don't think Air and Space does (Fodorites???) but the Indian bldg nearby does.
DH and I have eaten hot dogs on the run and not gotten sick btw/
Also, check closest metro station for DAR.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 05:21 PM

The pumpkin soup at the new Indian museum is WONDERFUL.