Search

Thrifty Car Rental

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2004, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thrifty Car Rental

We'll be using Thrifty car rental company in Oahu for one day and also on the Big Island. ANyone use them recently? I read an earlier post in which car rental companies are not telling folks at reservation time that if you have an accident within last 3 yrs, won't rent to them? Then, the people are stranded and without transportation. Of course, there's probably more involved, but that's what the post said.
Old May 21st, 2004, 08:09 AM

I posted that yesterday because it happened to me with Budget at the Long Beach, California airport recently. They run your driver's license number through a nationwide database to obtain your driving record information. If you have had 2 or more accidents within 3 years of the date you are at their counter they will not rent you a car. It doesn't matter if the accident was your fault or not, and it doesn't matter if it was a just a minor fender bender, something in between, or more serious. I had a confirmed reservation through their 800 # but you are not given this information when you book. Their website reads, "all driver's must have a cleaning record," but it's an ambiguous statement and most people who have been in an accident will not think it applies to them. In reading that I think more of someone who has a drunk driving conviction, drugs, or driving with a suspended license. I wrote a letter to Budget (but they blew me off as the saying goes) to suggest to them that they should rent the cars but make the collision damage waiver mandatory. They could also implement a plan in which these drivers have to obtain a temporary policy through them at the time of rental. People do this when they drive their cars into Mexico.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 12:37 PM

i don't know about Thrifty, but Avis rented me a car on the BI two weeks ago, and I'd been in an accident 6 months previous. So the policy may be unique to Budget.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 07:46 PM

I used Thrifty in Oahu back in March and had no problems, except when i tried to find my way back to the car rental place. Other than that everything was A-okay.

I have never heard of a car rental company refusing to rent to someone for having had an accident within 3 yrs. I would just call them and ask.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:56 AM

We used Thrify in Fla. in March and told them I would never rent from them again. I always thought that our AAA ins. covered a rental until Thrify told us(at the counter) that it would cost us 150.00 more for the week because NO INS. covers loss of use. I was upset that this wasn't disclosed until we are standing there checking in for the car. Oh, I checked with our AAA and, guess what? Thrify was right! I just didn't care for the way Thrify handeled it.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:08 AM

You might want to check on some of your credit cards for their rental policies. I have a Visa card that has rental car insurance coverage included that I use for all car rentals. I just checked the terms on this card and it does include loss-of-use charges, as well as vadalism, collision and windshield damage. For this coverage is in effect you must intiate and complete the entire rental transaction with this Visa card and decline the car rental company's collision damage waiver option.
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

I haven't rented a car in years! So, all this lingo is new to me. What do you mean by "loss of use" insurance coverage? I also was going to join Thrifty's "blue chip club" which is suppose to expediate check in/out time. You join online and register your credit card you intend to bill the rental to online, so that when you check in for your rental, all your info, including your driver's license is already in their system. Anyone utilize this and does it save time?
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:25 PM

This is an interesting and most confusing topic. [Rental car insurance, and personal coverage of rental cars]

Several suggestions:
1.READ YOUR AGREEMENT with your credit card company. It will "detail" what it covers. Most of the time you can find this info. by going to their website.

2. Read each card's agreement. Terms differ between credit card companies and type of credit card issued.

3. Call your personal insurance agent and be fimiliar with your coverage as pertaining to rental cars.

4. Go to the website of the rental car company you plan to rent with, and read their information on insurance coverage;
i.e.....read the contract.

5. Most credit card companies coverage is "SECONDARY", coverage. Which means that your own personal insurance is "PRIMARY", and the credit card coverage only covers that portion that your personal coverage does not cover.

6. I just checked my Visa Platinum; coverage is "secondary", except if you have "NO" personal coverage, or if you are outside of your country of residence, then it is "primary".

For mlarson:
Yes, there are alot of terms of insurance on these contracts. However, remember, they aren't going to "give" you anything! So everything is offered for a price.
CDW or LDW= Collision/Loss damage waiver. This covers the actual loss of the rental car. As stated in contract, this is not insurance. But an option you purchase with the rental cover to cover losses ONLY to the rental vehicle.
SLI=Supplemental Liability Insurance. Covers your liability from third party (your liability of the other guys auto/injury/loss).
PAI=Personal accident insurance. If you are insured or killed. Limits for medical and ambulance are usually very low.
PEP=personal effects, and property, theft, etc.
Loss of use= the loss [of revene] the rental company substains due to the damage car not being able to be rented[repair time].

These are my personal observations. Please do your homework on your own situation.

Are there any insurance agents/auto rental agents out there in Fodorland??? would like to hear from you!

Old May 24th, 2004, 02:57 PM

oops...on above post:

under PIA...should be injured, not insured.

Loss of use...should be revenue.