Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Car Rental on Langkawi - Reserve Ahead or Not?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying at the Bon Ton Resort on Langkawi for 3 nights in July. We arrive at the airport at mid-day. I know that there is no shortage of car rental agencies but I'd like to know what approach works best in terms of price and convenience:
1) Rent a car at the airport and reserve in advance
2) Rent a car at the airport with no reservation
3) Take a taxi to Bon Ton and rent a car through the resort

Also, do I need an international drivers license? If so, how do I go about getting one in the USA?
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 02:23 PM

The only way I know of to get an IDL in the US is through AAA. Note that an IDL is an 'endorsement' on your state drivers license, so you need to have both of them with you. The best way to check if you need them is to consult a rental agency.

In my experience, resorts rent cars with drivers only. They don't offer a self-drive option. However, you likely will find places that rent cars around the main tourist areas. You might well get a better deal from a local outfit than you'll get from the major chains. The possible drawbacks being the quality of the car, maintenance and insurance.

If you decide to rent from one of the major agencies, I would definitely reserve it in advance, since they tend to be a bit thin on the ground in SE Asia, and may not have a car for you if you just show up.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 10:50 PM

Hi.
There's a lot of car rental company in Langkawi Airport.
There's a lot of potential car & insist to look at the car before committing to any.
If you have USA driving license its good enough. Malaysia recognize several countries driving license.
If you wish to rent a car in Bon Ton they will also sub it to other company. So better make your own plan & rent by yourself.
Rgds
azayi1
http://langkawi-updates.blogspot.com/
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 10:01 AM

Craig
We didn't rent ahead, Amir at Bon ton sorted a car out for us when we check in. Be aware the cars aren't exactly top notch but it's sooooo cheap. (David still thinks about the dinners at Bon Ton - A-mazing mash and the nonya platter is to die for!!!) envious you are going there.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 12:45 PM

we rented right outside the hotel... the car was old but sufficient for the 1 day rental. we found one circular drive of the island showed us all we needed to see with a wonderful lunch at the datai...

you probably will not want a car for all 3 days??
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. This was what I was looking for. I'll rent at Bon Ton - we only have 2 full days (3 nights) there and will probably keep the car for both.