Reload this Page >

Thinking about visiting White House during the Christmas season

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 09:17 AM
maryann

Do they offer tours to the White House during the holidays?
also, what other places in Washington DC are extraordinary to go see, especially during xmas???

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 09:32 AM
ddd

Maryann, Tours of the White House are limited to school groups and militray/veterans groups. Not hard to figure out why.

The National Christmas tree and its subordinate 50 state trees are fun to see. The lighting of the trees used to be a public event but I think access was restricted last year to those with tickets. Don't know what is planned this year. Call your Senator or Representative for info.

Mount Vernon is also nicely decorated at the Christmas holidays.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 10:33 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 10:52 AM
xxx

Sorry but the White House is closed off to most visitors and many other places like the Capitol and the Congressional offices.

Sorry

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 11:00 AM
keep up with current

Have you been living in a cave since sept 11, 2001???? I ask because it has been VERY WIDELY reported that White House tours were suspended. Any 12 year old should know that.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 12:53 PM
Polly

In years past, many bus companies have provided tours of the White House during the Christmas season. They often include a stop at one other place and include dinner at a waterfront restaurant. Those tours were cancelled last year (I had tickets...sigh!) because of 9/11. There is hope among the tour originators that the facilities will be open this year. Eyre Tour and Travel (http://www.eyre.com/) is negotiating to be able to make these tours available. An organization with which I am associated is taking reservations 'just in case.' FYI; FWIW.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 01:02 PM
gail

Not only can't you go into White House, it is difficult to even get near it. Streets are closed off, lots of Jersey barriers - you can only see a tiny corner by driving anywhere near it (at least that was the case in August - when leaves are off trees, you might be able to see more.)

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 01:11 PM
Tia

It's sad to say, but everyone is right, tours are suspended. I just got back from D.C. on Wednesday. My second trip and still no tour of the White House! One day maybe...I hope.

Tia