Things to do in Orlando other than theme parks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Family including two kids (10 & 14) + elderly parents going to Orlando week after next. We're doing 3 days at Disney, then a free day, then 2 days at Universal, then 2 more free days. Any suggestions on non-theme park things to do on the off days? I think we're going to be "theme park"ed out after 3 Disney & 2 Universal days. We're looking at Flights of Fantasy and Flying Tigers for dad but I don't think that would take a whole day. Anyone been to Gatorland? It sounds tacky but maybe the kids might like it and maybe there won't be so much walking. The air boats (Boggy Creek) sound interesting but again that doesn't seem like a full day. We've decided to stay away from the water parks as all the Disney and Universal rides seem to say we'll get wet or soaked anyway. I guess what we're looking for is a little less commercial and less costly stuff that might be appealing to young and old (if such a thing exists). Something less frantic to give us some relaxation between parks and before we go home. Yes, we can lie by the hotel pool some of the time but I don't think anyone else will be happy to just do that with our 3 free days. (Go figure!)
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 06:04 PM

We enjoyed Discovery Cove. You can swim with the dolphins or just enjoy the man made beach and snorkel with the fish/stingrays, etc.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

I heard about Discovery Cove and it sounds great but kind of expensive. There are 7 of us.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 06:09 PM

If you have access to a car and don't mind traveling a little bit it is about a hour's drive I believe to the Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral which is reaally interesting and would take about 4-5 hours to do. theyare having some special presentations regarding the space shuttle and have film out this summer concerning space which is narrated by Tom Cruise (I believe its an Imax theater they have ther bu tnot certain) Also I know you don't really wan tswimming and water parks but what about going to the beach for the day, picking up shells seeing the surf etc. Daytona Beach is a little over an hour away.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sunlover, we are renting a car and Kennedy Space Center sounds interesting. I was just looking back at some past postings which have mentioned a couple of places near Cape Canaveral where we might stop for rest and picnic (I think). Any thoughts on Merritt Island or Playalinda? Some of the postings went back a couple of years so I'm not sure if these places are still worth seeing.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 07:35 AM

Playalinda is a magnificent beach, but be aware that it is clothing optional.

(The other beaches in the park are nearly as good, though; Playalinda just has more of that desert island feel.)
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 08:19 AM

I would recommend either Kennedy Space Center, a beach or SeaWorld. SeaWorld is a welcome respite from Disney. Our kids loved the shows and feeding the dolphins. There is a water play area as well. There are only 2 rides there, which we didn't do, but it is a very nice park. There is also an Anheuser-Busch Hospitality Center than my husband enjoyed very much!
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 09:54 AM

Every time we have been to Orlando,on any spare days ,we always call at Winter Park. This town is approximately 30 minutes drive from the Orlando resorts (Kissimee etc)heading north on the I4 and is a perfect way to spend half a day or so just wandering around,browsing in upscale shops and stopping in classy cafes. There is also a fantastic boat trip on the lakes that surround the town at a very reasonable price. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend you spend time here just slowing down.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 10:15 AM
dln

One of the best offbeat things we ever did on a Disney trip was to drive to Apopka to Wekiwa Springs State Park. It's not too far a drive away, just off state road 434.

The day we went was sweltering as only Florida can be. The springs--it looks like a Tom Sawyer kind of swimming hole--spew forth subterranean chrystal clear water that is only 72 degrees. It took me an hour to get in, inch by inch! But it was the most sublime day of swimming we've ever had in our lives. We could hardly stand to leave the park at the end of the day.

The park also has hiking trails. Some of the foliage looks like it's right out of a Jurassic Park stage set. Very primordial.

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 10:34 AM
OliveOyl

I thought about Winter Park too, and the Morse Museum (Tiffany), but am afraid the kids would be bored silly by that. The barge ride through the canal system might be enjoyable for all though.

Everyone from outside the state is interested in gators and I certainly thought Gatorland would be terrible and Hokey too, but my DH had a meeting in Orlando that involved folks from all over, and that was one of the outtings. He was actually surprised that it was fairly decent. They had a special tour and I'm still skeptical, but he's the last one to approve of icky side shows--especially ones involving gators which we see in the wild all too often on the golf courses here so aren't a big deal! Perhaps someone else here has been and can chime in as to yea or nay on that idea. His experience anyway was OK...but on a special tour, was it the normal experience?

Seaworld is a nice change of pace, but not a change of pace from shelling out more money for tickets, unfortunately. Still, if you haven't done one, it surely is worthwhile.

If you came over to this side of the state, (Tampa Bay area) you could take a charter trip out to Shell Island for some shelling and perhaps a picnic, or ride Capt Nemos Pirate ship, or the Screamer speed boat (gawdforbid) out of Clearwater Beach. Beaches on this side are gorgeous, but it is more of a drive. It takes me an hour to get to Disney from as far west in Tampa as you can get without falling in the water (literally yds from our door) but it has also taken me considerably longer in horrendous traffic, and that can't always be ruled out. That is definitely unusual--generally for us it's an hour. It takes us about 40 minutes to the beaches in traffic as well.

I was a little disappointed in the Space Center, but I think it was because I'd heard it hyped so much prior to going that it could never live up to its reputation. It was OK, but by the end I was surely ready to clear out! Then too...it was summer and HOT..grumble gripe...and that didn't help. That will surely be a factor in your trip week after next. You may find you just want to veg out by the pool a bit!

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 11:46 AM

I have lived in Orlando for 30+ years, and one of my favorite things to do is take a boat trip on the St. Johns river. There is a place in Deland outside of Orlando called Hontoon landing where you can rent a pontoon boat for about $100/day and cruise yourself on the river. If you want to see florida in its most natural state this is the place to go. If you want to swim in a natural spring ask them how to get to silver glen springs. If you are lucky you will see gators, otters, eagles, and other wild life in their natural environment. Right across the river from hontoon landing is hontoon island state park. You can only get there by boat and there are miles of hiking trails.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the warning about the Space Center, Olive Oyl. I thought the kids would be interested in going but they don't seem too excited about it. I'd hate to drive out there and have them bored when there are so many other great things to do.
Ryn2690, thanks also for the warning about Playalinda. It would have been quite a surprise for my 80-year-old mother if we hadn't been forewarned.
Thanks, everyone, for all the great ideas. I'm sure we'll find plenty to take our minds off theme parks and roller coasters. I think maybe Sea World or Gatorland and then maybe Wekiwa, Winter Park or one of the beach areas. We just have to be careful about getting too primitive as mom/grandma is in a wheelchair. If the parks are too "natural" she will have a hard time getting around.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 02:54 PM

How about the state park with the manatees northeast of Orlando? If you do a search, you'll find the name in earlier posts a few years old (Blue Springs?). There is a boardwalk along the water that I think is accessible from the parking lot for the wheelchair. Can be combined with other destinations to the northeast for a day.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:45 PM

There are rarely manatees in Blue Springs this time of year as they generally only go there in the winter.

I just happen to LOVE Gatorland, by the way. Another vote for Sea World, too.

Another thing would be a bike ride on the West Orange Trail, which is about 20 minutes north of the Universal area, about 10 miles due west of downtown Orlando. There are two places to rent bikes, but the best by far is County LIne Station at the western end of the trail, where Orange County meets Lake County. It's a very calm and relaxing way to spend a few hours!
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 03:55 AM

I think you may have the wrong impression of Playalinda Beach as far as nudity goes. The place has that reputation because of a few people. (law enforcement has really cracked down on nudity at this beach, besides, you'd have to drive out to the furthest point and then walk a very long way before you might happen upon anyone nude) Playalinda is a beautiful family beach. We go there often with children, parents, grandparents, since this is the beach closest to our home. Never have encountered anyone nude there. The drive out to the beach is very nice, there is a scenic wildlife drive and also a place to stop for a nature walk.It is the only beach in our County that is run by the US Park Service, and thus is not built up with condos, hotels, etc.
The only drawback to Playalinda is there are no consessions there (aside from restrooms), so if you go be sure to bring drinks, snacks, etc.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 12:10 AM

Hi there. My family and I are old hats at visiting Orlando. We've been a total of 5 times! I usually go with my mother, daughter and this past December took my sister and young nephew. When we have a time limit, we usually do things in this order: Magic Kingdom first day, because we love Universal and after that everything is anti climactic. Then, second day do MGM (not my favorite) or Epcot (interesting). Third day do Universal. It is a must see as far as we're concerned. Then we usually take a drive (it takes about an hour) to Kennedy Space Center (it is interesting one time) and from there go to Cocoa Beach for lunch and to play on the beach a bit. The Merrit (sp?) Island refuge and Canaveral National Seashore are great to visit as well. The beach there is wonderful. But beware, the park rangers are strict about the speed limit, so don't speed.

We've also visited Cypress Gardens. This is about a one and a half hour drive max. Seeing the citrus groves on the way down is really cool. Once we went to Silver Springs and took the glass bottom boat ride. It is cool for a one time visit too. Cypress Gardens is worth the drive, so many beautiful flowers and a water show. Sea World is really good the first time too. There is also Bok Tower Gardens, although we've not had time enough to visit there yet.

These are some suggestions, hope they help!

Teresa
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 04:02 AM

Orlando has a wonderful science museum, with IMAX and great displays for children and adults. We went with children and grandchildren and stayed from 10 to 4 on a very rainy day.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 07:50 AM

Cypress Gardens has just recently closed. Sad, but true. Universal Studios rocks and I'm an old soul who loves it there. The Portofino Hotel is to die for. Universal is a million times more fun than Disney plus it's smaller and more doable in a day or two.Have fun and definitely check out Winter Park.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 07:59 AM

cypress Gardens has shiut down (gone bankrupt I think) It was getting old and the owners didn't do much updating or refurbishment so it started going downhill and less and less people went there. A very prominent business man in the area however is trying to buy it out and redo everything and reopen it in about 5 years (don't know if it will be the same or not) I do recall going there when I was young and it was great. however I am 30 now and would guess tha towuld have been about 15 years ago!. I stil think a day trip to one of Floridas many beaches is a great idea.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 08:07 AM

OOPS I hit post too soon, I was going to give you another option. That would be the Daytona Speedway. I personally am not into Nascar and have never been but I hear that there is a great tour of the racetrack you can take and lots of memorabilia to view. Finally what about a baseball game? Tamp Bay devil Rays or a minor league team would be great!