Vegas Itinerary - please comment

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vegas Itinerary - please comment

Thanks for all the replies to my previous posts regarding restaurants and shows. Here is what I have come up with so far...please comment if you've been to any of these places or have any better suggestions. I have tried to hit a variety of hotels and pick things in a moderate price range, that would appeal to our group, ages 16 to 54!

Thurs: Arrive around 3:00pm, check in at Flamingo desk at the airport - I heard this is much faster. How do I get a renovated room...just ask?
Thursday dinner at Rainforest Cafe.

Friday - late lite lunch at Nine Fine Irishmen - I have no idea about this place, it just looked convenient since cousin wants to see NY, NY. Drink at Coyote Ugly. Early show, Blue Man Group (Luxor). Dinner at Rock Lobster - seems cool, any reviews? A martini or two at Red Square(Mandalay Bay).

Saturday lunch at Flamingo buffet, we have our 2 for 1 coupon. Dinner at Spago (Caesar's forum shops).

Sunday - lunch at Mon Ami Gabi (Paris)
evening appetizers and drinks at Voodoo (Rio), or Monte Carlo Pub (Monte Carlo) , or Pink Taco (Hard Rock).

Thanks in advance for any input!!! As I've said in some previous posts, the only thing we are not really big fans of is buffets....anything else goes. Also, what should I make reservations in advance for?
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:52 AM

Just one comment: Rainforest Café is one of a chain of animatronic-enhanced Dennys-level eateries. I would immediately cancel plans. The food's horrible.

What kind of dinner experience were you looking for...? Give us an idea-- someone will find you a replacement for the Rainforest.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:53 AM

You're itinerary sounds great, except,I would definitely go to the Voodoo over the Monte Carlo Pub- the views are great and the Rio is a fun place to check out, too. You have to take a cab but it's only like 3 minutes from the strip and worth the view from the top.
The rainforest Cafe is O.K. but it's a chain and maybe you would want to try something different on your first night , unless you have bnever been there before - children love it but since your youngest is 16 maybe somewhere a little more lively. The Luxor has a few restaurants - I think a good chinese one - look on their website - they also have a polynesian Tiki Bar there that is fun! Have a great time!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 10:26 AM

Angie, sounds pretty good. Here's my 2 cents since we just got back from the Flamingo: we checked in at the airport and asked for an upgraded room which they did; however, upon arrival at the Flamingo was told it wouldn't be ready for hours and they gave us a different room at that time. They also later told us that the employees at the airport were not Flamingo employees and there's apparently some animosity between the 2 (teamsters vs non-teamsters).
Leave plenty of room for walking around. We looked at menus at all the hotels and sometimes made our decision based on what we saw. We ate at Wolfgang Puck's cafe in the MGM for a spur of the moment lunch and it was one of our favorite meals. We went to the Flamingo buffet (which was quite good in fact), the day we were flying home, knowing we wouldn't be fed well on the flight. I agree with the other posters with regards to the Rainforest cafe - you can find more original restaurants all over (wander around the Alladin dessert passage!). Also, while you're down near NY NY, be sure to hit M&M World next to MGM. 4 floors of M&M marketing and 21 colors of the candies! Fun for everyone!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 10:34 AM

My 2 cents...

Rainforest Cafe - blah!
Coyote Ugly - they might try and bang ya for $10 bucks to get in even though the place is empty. Only go if it's free.
Blue Man Group - awesome
Rock Lobster - had a chicken wrap for lunch, pretty good
Red Square - awesome, ask for a tour of the freezer, the watermelon infused vodka in canning jars on the bar was very good if you like that sort of thing, I had the house special which was dirty, blue cheese stuffed olives, yum!
Mon Ami Gabi - very good, pray for cool weather to sit outside, the wines on their roving wine cart were pretty good

As far as things in advance, get Blue Man tickets ASAP if you haven't already.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 11:00 AM

Mon Ami Gabi is also a chain restaurant(several locations in the US) with so-so food.

You can do better.

Curious
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I have been to the Rainforest Cafe before so I wouldn't mind skipping it this trip - we were just trying to think of something for my 16 yr old cousin. Maybe we'll look around for something better. Same with Coyote Ugly - cousin saw a friend with a t-shirt from there and wants to see it...so I figured I'd have a drink while she gets her shirt. I definitely won't pay a $10 cover to get in there if that's the case.
Karen, that's interesting about the two different check in's. I guess maybe we'll do what you did, check in at the airport and maybe upgrade at the hotel.
Already have our tickets for Blue Man. Looking forward to the house martini at Red Square - sounds awesome.
Never been to Mon Ami Gabi - didn't even know it was a chain... I think we'll still give this one a try. Will I need reservations for a Sunday lunch?
Thanks again everyone!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 01:46 PM

Loki, so Coyote Ugly is in NY, NY? LOVE the movie - whats the club like? Is there a restaurant? Good food?

Thanks!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 02:28 PM

I've never been to the one in Vegas. The one in NYC, has no food, it's about the width of my bedroom, maybe 30 feet deep, there's an old arcade game and a dart board in back, the place sorta smells like vomit (it's probably moldy wood), "oil can" Pabst Blue Ribbon is the specialty for $3, they play music with sorta a country flair, no DJ dancing type stuff, this place is for hard drinking. The bar maids get totally blasted as they slug whiskey straight up while engaging in quasi-lesbian acts on the bar. I'd be surprised if the Vegas version has the same charm. Also, one key with the NYC one, none of the girls are super hot, they all are somewhat normal in a way as to make men think they are "attainable". It's all part of the kitsch.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:25 PM

1) While Mon Ami Gabi may not be unique to LV, one of the biggest reasons people recommend it is the <location>. You can eat outside while watching the Bellagio fountains.
Food is reasonably good. But it's all about location at this place.

2) Spago was a huge disappointment when we ate there a few months ago.
Feels like you're eating inside a mall food court in Des Moines. The restaurant is not attractive, service is not good, and food is average at best. This place is the worst kind of cheap imitation of the LA original.

There are many, many realy good eateries in LV these days.
Avoid Rainforest and Spago.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:45 PM

Rainforest Cafes are probably fine for 3-5 year old children. It might offend a 16 year old to be taken to such an awful place
I would take the 16 year old to Hard Rock or somewhere that he/she would think was 'cool'..
Take them to Spago, sit outside in the sidewalk cafe part (really inside the Forums of Ceasars, but it is just like an outdoor cafe and it is fun to people watch ) or Olives and sit out on the terrace so they can see the Fountains go off while they have lunch. To not go overboard in cost-order flatbread pizzas for everyone.
The Rio has many restaurants, one good Mexican, a good seafood place and a good deli style place. Then you will be there for the Masquerade in teh Sky thing that they do, the entertainment is very good and everyone always gets a big kick out of it. Think Mardi Gras~
Have fun!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:06 PM

Angie..you mentioned Rock Lobster. If it's the same one at Mandalay Bay is not there any longer. Now a French restaurant in its place. Check Mandalay Bay website..think the new name is listed there.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Oh bummer, I think you're right about Rock Lobster...I don't see it mentioned anymore on Mandalay Bay's website. Guess it's gone.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 03:02 PM

One of our best meals was at Mon Ami Gabi. I don't care if it's a chain b/c we don't have one where we live. For lunch, we didn't need a reservation. We just got in line by the door before 11:30 when they opened and got a nice table on the patio. We're going to Vegas again in 10 days and plan to eat there again. Al Dente at Bally's is also very good.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 04:45 AM

I also say skip the Rainforest Cafe - UGH!
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 08:57 AM

Did you consider Stephano's at the Golden Nugget for one of your dinners? It's a lovely as well as fun (waiters sing and they're good). Afterwards, you can go downstairs and check out the Freemont Street lights. Don't get yourself too wrapped up in an inflexible schedule - if you see a vacant table at a restaurant which appeals, stop there and eat. As far as airport check-in goes, we did it last year and I waited in that line while husband went for luggage. Got to check in about same time he returned with bags. Then we got in an exhausting line to get a taxi. Took over an hour to get from plane to taxi. Ever since, we rent a car upon arrival or drive. Valets at all hotels extremely helpful if you don't want to self-park. Distances to walk are great - places which look like they're immediately adjacent to one another turn out to be a tough 15 slog apart, if not longer. Haven't seen Blue Man as noisy productions hold little appeal but Rita Rudner at NYNY is very funny and not at all naughty. Have fun.........