Orlando to beach

Jan 9th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Orlando to beach

My wife and 2 kids (4 and 2) want to plan a trip to Florida around the end of February. We are flying in from Mpls and have found direct airfare to Orlando for $250/person. I would like to rent a car and stay in a hotel on the beach. I grew up in Wales living by the ocean and want to give the kids their first salt water experience. Would like suggestions on a good hotel in a sea side city on either coast that we could make a day trip to Sea World one day and Animal Kingdom on another day. Is this even feasible? Would we encounter Spring Breakers at this time or would it be too early? Thanks.
Jan 9th, 2004, 11:25 AM
GoTravel

You could stay on the beach and drive into the parks for a day but that makes for a long day.

My suggestion. Fly in from Mpls to Orlando a check into a cheap motel. Spend the rest of the day by the pool.

Next day, head to a park and spend the day. Stay in same motel that night.

Next day get up and head to the beach for how ever many days.

Drive back into Orlando and stay at cheap motel. Get up next morning and go to second park and spend day. Go back to cheap hotel and spend the night. Fly home to Mpls from Orlando.

Jan 9th, 2004, 11:27 AM
GoTravel

I forgot to add that Cocoa Beach is a great little beach town on the Atlantic coast that is good for families.

Jan 9th, 2004, 12:08 PM

Hi mwswaw...... I live right near Cocoa Beach...That would be your best bet. Right after you get to Orlando Airport your right on the Bee line 528....go east toward Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach. Its about 40 minute drive right on 528. It has fork in the road to either go to Titusville or Cape Canaveral about 20 minutes on the road, take Cape Canaveral. You will pass the cruise lines on your left after you go over a few bridges then your on A1A. 5 Minutes on A1A you will be in Cocoa Beach, with Ron Jons and everything. Great Resturants. Try Yen Yens in Cocoa Beach their Snow White Prawns are to die for!!! Lots of Hotels around there and spring break is in March so you should be fine!!! Its a straight shot on the Bee Line 528 to Orlando for your attractions. I live in Merritt Is. 5 Minutes from Cocoa Beach and It takes me about 35 minutes to get to Sea World on 528 to International drive. It would definatly be better to stay on the beach for the kids and just get up early for Disney or Sea World. Islands of Adventure is a really great park also. Check it out!!
Jan 9th, 2004, 12:13 PM

One more thing...The other coast is alot further of a drive...like 1 1/2 hours and the East coast has ocean waves were we are and the west coast is calm on the gulf.
Jan 9th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info! Any advice on hotels to stay at in Cocoa Beach? I saw on Expedia that the Best Western Oceanfront Resort had some reasonable rates and is located right on the beach.
Jan 9th, 2004, 01:58 PM

I think you should stay in a hotel at Disney and not make that drive to the beach for those days. Disney after dark is great. We liked Downtown Disney. If you could afford Animal Kingdom Lodge, it is fabulous. I think that after a day at Disney you'll wish you didn't have to drive all the way back to the beach.

Cocoa, Melbourne, even Daytona -- they're fabulous beaches. But don't know what to rec. there. The Gulf is a bit farther, not worth the drive for you.
Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:42 PM

With your kids' ages, they would love Sea World. AK is great, but opens and closes earlier than the other WDW parks. You may want to check operating hours and tips for toddlers section at wdwig.com End of February the ocean will be colder, so be sure your hotel has heated pool too!