Search

The Sound??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Sound??

Forgive me for my ignorance but I've been looking into the Outer Banks, NC area & noticed that some accomodations face the ocean & some the SOUND .... what do they mean when they talk about the Sound???
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 12:32 PM
emd

It's ok to ask, if you've never been to a sound how would you know (except maybe geography class but that was a long time ago, right?) And besides, some sounds are different than others, so you may want to know in particular what the OBX sound is like. The Outer Banks are barrier islands, long strands of thin islands that follow the shoreline of the N.C. coast. One side of the islands faces the ocean. At various points there are "inlets" cut through the islands- this is where storms have caused water to wash over the land and basically obliterate it, so that one section of island is now two sections or more. The water behind the island, meaning the water on the NC coastland side, is the sound-side. The sound-side of the island is the part of the island that faces the NC coast, but there is water there before you get to the NC coast. I hope that makes sense. This is one of those times when a picture would do it alot easier, so go online and do a search for outer banks geography and find a picture if you still don't get it.
The sound side houses on the OBX will be on the side of the island facing the NC coast instead of the Atlantic Ocean. As a result, the sound has no real beach, the land just stops and there is the sound water. But it is beautiful and quiet. No real waves, water just laps at the shore. And usually on the OBX the water is not really deep in the sound. For instance in the Old Nags Head area where we have rented on the sound, there is access to the sound from a very tiny sandy area, and we take our floats and go out there, but way out in the sound we can still stand up and water is just at our knees or waist. Most areas of the sound do not have access to get into the sound for swimming, but the area I described does and some others do (it's a bit rocky and we have to wear water shoes.) Alot of areas on the sound have small piers for fishing (but sometimes those are private and belong to the house they are next to.) Alot of people like staying on the sound better than the oceanside. It is generally much more quiet, and you get wonderful sunsets on the sound if your house has a view of the water. Also, the houses can be cheaper on the sound. And the crabbing can be good in the sound. If you give us info on what area you are considering, you may be able to get more input on what the sound area is like there, and how far you will be from the ocean. This can be an important point as some parts of the outer banks are very thin, with little distance btwn ocean and sound and you can walk or bike btwn the two, and some areas of the islands are thicker. But you can always drive over the the ocean at any rate- at least in Nags Head there are public parking areas on the beach side.
So, how is my description of the sound-do you understand? Its kind of a hard thing to explain without visuals.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 12:36 PM

The Outer Banks are long narrow islands running, generally, north to south. To the east id the Atlantic Ocean. To the west, between the islands and the mainland, are the Abemarle and Pamlico Sounds, bodies of water that resemble bays.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 12:43 PM
emd

tommy- what a nice short answer. I spent way too many words on that didn't I. This is probably why my husband says I talk too much, and I've never been a very good memo-writer for work.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks emd & tommy for the explanations! I do understand even without visuals ... you helped paint a good picture. I'm glad I asked!

Now if I can just decide where in the world I want to go for a 1 week, very quiet, secluded vacation with close proximity to beach, good food!

I'm a pastor with an 8 yr old girl & infant & we want some Fun, major relaxation, & good food. We like the idea of simply walking along the beach exploring, playing in the sand & waves & maybe taking 1 or 2 days to go on a day-trip to something fun. We've received so many suggestions (Tampa Sunset Beach, Melbourne's Turtle Point beach, Outer Banks, plus many others that we're just trying to decide somewhere within about 2-3 hour plane flight (from Dallas or Houston) that's within our $2200 budget.

I guess this has nothing to do with my previous question of THE SOUND, but I thought I would throw out my thoughts for any more suggestions! By the way, we plan to leave out Memorial Day weekend & return June 5th!

Thanks again for the info on the OBX!
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 01:44 PM
emd

ssharris: If you are further interested in the OBX, I just checked online at the agency I rent from there and amazingly saw good availability for that week. In fact, the place my family stayed in last August on the beach in Nags Head, on the oceanfront, very nicely decorated bright 3 bedroom condo w/oceanfront covered decks and nice deck furniture, also a sunset deck off the master bedroom, 4 cable TVs (one in each bedrm and in living area), double whirlpool in the master bedroom, oceanfront pool, but it is a small 3 story complex (w/elevator or stairs) and you walk right onto the beach with just a few stairs- and that unit is available for ALOT less than what you are willing to pay. For the price you name, you should be able to get an oceanfront house for that week if they are still available. If you are interested in hearing more about the place I stayed last August that I describe above (we loved it), reply and I'll email you.
We really love Nags Head. If you are on the ocean it is lovely, there are lifeguards stationed along the beach (good for the 8 yr old, and one is close to the unit I describe above), and there is so much beach there, mostly private homes lining the beach so it is not crowded at all. Once you are done w/the beach, there are ALOT of fun things in that area for you and your 8 yr old- a small old fashioned amuzement park on the Hwy in Nags Head, several nice minature golf places, movie theater, fun shopping, the NC Aquarium in Manteo (about 20 min away), Jockey's Ridge (highest Sand dune on east coast, a natl. park and fun to climb and fly kites at in the evening, great sunsets from there), on and on. Love that area w/kids, my kids don't want to go anywhere else, always want Nags Head one week a summer. We've been all over Florida coast (and we love the gulf side there, don't get me wrong)but they repeatedly want Nags Head, and actually so do my husband and I. We've been to alot of other areas up north on the OBX (Corolla, Duck, etc) and south also.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 02:12 PM
emd

If you are interested in more of a "resort" feel, there is Corolla Light in the northern OUter Banks. Houses are more expensive, but I think that week is still the "preseason" or at least not the highest season. They have condos and townhomes there as well as free-standing home. More expensive than Nags Head and other areas, but it has an outdoor pool club w/dining outside and inside, a soundside idoor pool complex, indoor tennis, some fun planned acitivites for the 8 yr old, parks and playgrounds, etc. Different pitch to the water/sand there, but I think it is also lifeguarded. It feels more crowded to me there as it is a planned community, and there is only one two lane road in/out of the upper northern banks.
Also, some houses in Nags Head come w/membership to the new YMCA which has indoor olympic pool, outdoor water park type pool w/slide and stuff, skate park, exercise areas, etc.
OK- I'll shut up now.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 04:52 PM
jenifer

I can't begin to compete with emd's wordiness here (very good info by the way - I'm just teasing!)

But, I can say that at that time of year you may find the water in OBX to not really be great temperature for swimming. Depending on where you're from, it may be fine, but it's not as hot there as southern Florida. Still, should be beautiful for enjoying the sand on the beach, flying kites, etc. and many places have pools that would be totally comfortable for swimming. We'll be enjoying OBX just a couple weeks before that - looking forward to it!

Old Mar 4th, 2004, 05:00 PM
emd

Sorry for going on- the problem on the wordiness is that I am off work right now due to being housebound w/a fussy teenager who has a cast on, and as a result I am spending too much time thinking about travel, my own travel fantasies and plans and everyone else's (otherwise it is "yes, son, I'm bringing up that PB&J sandwich in just minute dear" etc.) I'd much rather be in the OBX right now.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks EMD for all of your great suggestions & ideas .... I don't mind the long wording .... I enjoy reading it. I would be interested in the information on the NAGS HEAD beach front property. However, when I mentioned my budget of $2200 - I hope you understood that mean't the 'entire' trip, not just the housing! The place you're describing sounds fantastic but surely over $1000 a week. Anyway, NAGS HEAD sounds really really exciting.

Jennifer ... thanks for the added input on the 'coldness' of the water. That could make a difference. My 8 year-old would love for us to stay near Orlando so we can drive over for a day to attend 'Disney World' so I'm still working on this decision. We really want to 'escape' from the hustle & bustle of living & just relax with a lot of privacy.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for these suggestions!

Old Mar 4th, 2004, 05:29 PM
emd

ssharris: no, actually it's alot less than a grand. i'm emailing you about it now.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again EMD ... I'll check the email!
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 05:48 PM

We're also interested in renting a house in that area. Could you e-mail that info to us as well, pretty please?
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 05:56 PM
jenifer

I don't know of the specific info that emd has, but you can find many rental agencies through a search at yahoo or google.

The one we're using is www.surforsound.com and the rates are very good for "off-season", but not sure exactly when that ends.

Old Mar 4th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

I've looked at surfandsound.com .... excellent website. You might also look at www.vacationrentals.com. I've found that to be a very helpful website as well.

Florida Coast or OBX .... give me all of your opinions!

By the way what's the best way to get to OBX .... fly into Norfolk, Viriginia, then drive?