Search

Red Tide!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Tide!

Oh no! Our vacation to Ft. Myers is in two weeks and now I see that they are experiencing Red Tides. Dead fish on the beaches, hazardous to one's health. Does anyone know how long this lasts, if we're doomed to be in the pool?

Thanks.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 01:18 PM

It could be gone tomorrow, OR, it could be around for a long time. As far as I know, there is no way to predict.
We've been pretty lucky in the Sarasota area this year, as most of the red tide has been down south, but we could get it just like that.
Hope it goes away before your vacation!!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 02:37 PM

Try this website to read the red tide activities http://www.marinelab.sarasota.fl.us/...rtupdate.phtml
We went in May & the Red Tide was present at Sanibel, but not in Fort Myers or Captiva.You may need to travel to a different beach. Sanibel & Captiva Islands aren't far. Hopefully it will be gone by the time you get there or maybe you can visit the other beaches.. The two islands are so beautiful. Who knows , you might like them better? We usually visit the three locations. Best Wishes.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 04:02 PM
OliveOyl

Pauleau, although red tide can and does kill fish, the problem for us is primarily one of aesthetics. You may experience some throat irritation--the first time I was in a red tide area (unbeknownst to me at the time) I just had a niggly little cough, almost a tickle, but nothing to worry about. There is even debate as to whether or not it is detrimental to someone with pre-existing pulmonary problems. At the moment, Mote is looking for volunteers who have asthma or chronic lung disease to walk the beach and report symptoms, if any, so you can see, there isn't great concern even within that population! Still...who wants to be on a beach with dead fish! That alone is cause to alter plans if necessary, but it's just too soon to know if Ft Myers will have it while you are there two weeks from now.

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 04:18 PM

Having grown up on the Long Island Sound, we would experience many RedTides. We still swam and are now healthy. I now live on the Shrewsbury River in NJ, which feeds into the Raritan River and then NY harbor. We just had our RedTide, although its not called that here. The smell kept me from swimming in the river. My children thought nothing of it and swam along with the dead and molting river life.

My point is that it all depends upon what your 'normal' idea of water is like. The water poses no harm but may seem very unhealthy to the fresh water type. Even if you and the kids may not swim in a RedTide, there may be many other activites to do near the water (depending wher you are).
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 04:28 PM
dln

We were in St. Pete Beach two weeks ago and there were dead fish washed up on the beach. We walked around them and swam in the water, to no ill effect. Beach time is to precious to waste with worrying about dead fish! I don't think it's any uglier than seaweed floating around. We're lucky, though, because it doesn't affect our throats, thank goodness.

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 05:48 PM

It all depends on the degree of the red tide. Also, you can be on Ft. Myers Beach with a small degree of red tide, but a few miles on Sanibel or a little further north in Sarasota they can be experiencing a much larger problem.

Some years ago we were vacationing on Sanibel and supposedly it was the worst case of red tide they had ever had. It was the absolutely disgusting. The beach was littered with thousands (no exaggeration) of dead and rotting fish and the smell was intolerable and just disgusting. Two years ago I posted a message inquiring about red tide, because I heard it was going on and I was scheduled for a trip within a week or so. A lot of posters said that red tide was no big deal and just a few dead fish on the beach was nothing to worry about. Some of the posters were from Tampa and even as close as Ft. Myers, who hardly had any dead fish, even though it's only a few miles away from Sanibel. I really couldn't relate to those statements, given my previous experience with red tide.

This year (April) we arrived right after red tide ended. Lighthouse beach was littered with the dead and rotting critters, and many were floating around in the water. We immediately left and went to the other end of the island (San-Cap Beach) and it was all cleared up. We spent most of the week driving to that beach and enjoyed it tremendously.

A lot can happen in two weeks, and probably red tide will have ended. I'm not trying to scare you, just suggesting that if one beach has red tide, doesn't mean that all of them do. Have fun, it's a beautiful area.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 08:47 AM

BuffaloGirl is right, it can be anywhere from non-existent to mild to downright disgusting. The wind alone can make a difference...so don't waste any time worrying. If you find red tide in front of your hotel, then travel a couple miles north or south. It's amazing how it moves in and out with the storms and currents. We spent a beautiful day swimming on the beach here in Treasure Island just yesterday. But two weeks ago the beach was littered as stated above. The local towns are VERY good about scooping up the dead critters regularly -- they want tourists! I'm hoping you'll be just fine!
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! I will keep my fingers crossed and my thoughts optimistic. I'll check again in a week.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 06:04 PM

Pauleau, we went to Marco Island for 2 weeks in Feb. a couple of years ago and the red tide was present on and off. We were swimming in the ocean all the time. Our "little kahuna" then 13 yrs old developed a purpleish rash on his foot. We brought him to the doctor to check it out and they said that it "could be" a rash from red tide. Fortunately it went away after a few days. No one else in the family had any problems, and we figured out that everyone else swam in the pool at the end of the day (algeside probably killed any red tide on skin), and showered w/anti-bacterial soap. Interestingly, when we saw all the dead fish washed up on the beach we called the Marco Island health dept. to get an update on the red tide, but they never returned our call. My advice is to enjoy the ocean as much as you desire and don't worry about red tide, just hit the pool after you swim in the ocean. To be honest, I would worry more this time of year of stepping on a sting ray (shuffle your feet when you walk in the ocean) than I would about red tide!
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 05:52 PM
MSS

Hi,
Just got back from Sanibel literally 5 days ago. Yes, the red tide is there, but I love the ocean beach so much and literally lived for this vacation so I did not let it ruin my time. Part of it is mindset. It was not everywhere on Sanibel, either. However, it was at the beach in front of our condo. You just had to wade through a couple of yards of "muck" and then you had clear water.(I always wear water shoes.) I saw no dead fish. Yes, there was a smell, and my husband noticed it more than I did, but then, he prefers pools to ocean. He also could smell it more than I did, which kind of put a damper on his enjoyment more than it did mine. I did smell it more when we walked back to the condo, and the smell was on our bathing suits. Immediate showers. We did take a drive to the lighthouse beach and we saw no red tide, and we ate at the Mucky Duck on Captiva and got a lot of nice sunset pictures, and again saw no red tide. I just would not let it ruin your vacation. It was there, but we still managed to have one of the most beautiful vacations that we have ever had. I would say go for it and enjoy! Also, as far as the respiratory problems, I suffer from asthma and seasonal allergies here in Ohio all the time, but I had no problems in Sanibel at all! Allergies were null. Now that I am back, so are my allergies! Go Figure! I would say if you really want to go, maybe call the chamber of commerce, or the place you are planning to stay, and ask questions before hand. FYI: Also, one more thing, someone that lives there said that it was bad this year because the water never cooled off properly this past winter. The temp.of the water is currently 87 degrees and offered little relief, but I still loved it!
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 06:04 PM

Don't let the red tide spoil your vacation. Just use the pool. It can last for days or weeks. Some people are affected by it more than others. I notice I cough when there is a red tide, but not enough to do anything about it. Yes, dead fish may wash up in your area, but it may not.

Maybe it will be over soon!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have any updates on the Red Tide near Ft. Myers Beach? We'll be there in 6 days. Also spending some time in Bradenton. I've checked the "mote" website, but it's not always current. Plus not specific. Thanks for any news.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 10:46 AM
OliveOyl

This is their update as of today. There won't be another until the 18th, unfortunately, the day after you go! Must be vacation time at Mote! Just keep checking here.

From Mote's site:

"In General:
Red tide continues to cause problems from Naples to Anclote. Dead fish and respiratory irritation are being reported throughout this region. The patchyness has turned into more of a continuous area. Some areas are stronger than others, but red tide is present all along the Southwest Coast of Florida.
Sarasota Area:
All areas in Sarasota County are reporting dead fish and irritation. As long as the winds stay onshore, we will have problems.
Southwest Florida Gulf of Mexico
Red tide cells are still present from Naples to Anclote Key. Irritation and/or dead fish have been reported at St. Pete, Bonita, Siesta, Clearwater, Ft. Desoto, Naples, Crescent Beach, Lido, Longboat (North and South), Anclote, Ft. Myers, Manasota, Captiva, and Venice."

This area encompasses both Ft Myers and Bradenton Beach. Anclote Key which they mention frequently is north of Clearwater off of Tarpon Springs.

Unfortunately we've (west coast) has had an onshore wind for serveral days and what was at sea has been blown this way. That wind is due to shift within the next day or so allegedly (!), so what is here now, can just as quickly be blown back out.

Be glad you aren't here now, though, weatherwise. In general we've had atypical summer weather on the west coast for the past week. The typical afternoon storms have been occurring any time of the day or night. Today, it's been off and on all day long, more on than off. Really unusual weather. To give this a positive spin, hopefully it'll have gotten this out of its system by the time you get here.

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:09 PM

Naples is currently experiencing the worst episode of summer red tide ever, with the biggest fish kills ever recorded. It is not pleasant. Thousands of dead fish on the beach. They are trying to clean them up quickly, but it is not succeeding.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 08:52 AM

I read a post that said someone had experienced red tide in Sanibel in May and now it's the end of August and apparently red tide is still hanging around.

We love Sanibel and go often but I've never experienced red tide (we did not visit this year).

I was wondering if red tide has hit Sanibel all summer. Is it mostly a summer occurrence or does it happen in winter too? Is it worse this year than in the past?

Just curious, we go to Sanibel for the beach, we love to swim and look for shells. I would hate to think of picking my way thru dead fish to swim or shell. Thanks.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:13 AM

Red Tide is actually more common in winter than in summer. This summer has been by far the worst plague of red tide ever. Naples has recorded more instances than usual and the highest levels ever in summer. Sadly, it looks like the problem is going to get worse before it ever gets better or someone figures out a way to prevent it.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:42 AM

What exactly is Red Tide? I never heard of it. Is it a Florida thing?
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

We just returned from our Ft. Myers beach vacation. There was definitely Red Tides. We found two beaches at Casey Key on our way from the airport which were lovely, but Ft. Myers was pretty bad. I got in once, but the smell really bothered me, so we drove across the state and spent the last three days of our vacation in West Palm Beach and Lake Worth, where we had lovely swimming in fresh, clean and sparkly water. It was lovely.

While on the Gulf Coast, we drove over to Sanibel and toured "Ding" Darling nature preserve. It was nice, we saw aligators and lots of roseate spoonbills. The beach at Sanibel was even stinkier than at Ft. Myers. Saw a few dead fish, but it was just not my idea of a nice swim.

I'd love to go back at another time, because I have heard that it's usually lovely there. But it's not now.

Vacation was fun, though! And restful. West Palm Beach beaches were wonderful.

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 12:34 PM

Pauleau, I'm sorry the red tide did indeed change your vacation plans, but I like the way you "go with the flow" and made the best of it by moving on. Hopefully, it will be long gone by your next visit!

Alexis, red tide is an algae bloom which also produces neurotoxins, which is why the fish die. It is mostly a Florida problem, because of prevailing winds and the Gulf Stream. If you go to the website mentioned by Candy above, you will find out more than you ever wanted to know!

And Patrick, if you look at the chronology of the red tides back through the century, (also found on the mote website) it seems to occur at all times of the year, and there've been many bad episodes all over the West Coast (maybe before your time?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -