The Producers - at TKTS?

Search

The Producers - at TKTS?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Producers - at TKTS?

Could you now get tickets for the Producers at TKTS? We are planning to go on a Sunday in September and was wondering whether we should just purchase the tickets beforehand or try them at TKTS. We are willing to take the chance. Thank you.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 11:17 AM

That's a tough call. Perhaps Labor Day weekend. You'd have a better chance for a Tuesday or Wednesday performance.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 12:07 PM

It was up for the matinee today - I was passing by around 2:15 this afternoon and stopped to see what was there just out of curiousity.
If you really have your heart set on seeing it, you should get tickets in advance. But since you say you are willing to take a chance, then I'd say go for TKTS - especially if you have some back up possibilities if you can't get PRODUCERS.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 01:03 PM

Check the TKTS website. It will tell you what shows were available the previous week. This will give you an idea of what might be there. I was there a few weeks ago and there were no Producers tickets for the three days I
got tickets at TKTS.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I did check what is available at TKTS at their website (for the previous week). We are planning to go that Sunday over Labor Day weekend. We'll take the chance and line up a back-up show. Again, thank you.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 04:38 PM

As I wrote earlier today, you have a pretty good chance of getting The Producers tickets at TKTS on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. Historically, that weekend is a slow period for Broadway shows.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, HowardR. Do you know if the discount is 50%, or is it less? Also, I understand the booth opens at 11 a.m. How soon should we get there? The matinee starts at 3 p.m.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 06:24 PM

Most of the Broadway discounts are for 50%. However, I am not sure about The Producers.
As for what time to get in line, I'd recommend that you bring something to read and get in line by 10 a.m.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 06:50 PM

Howard, when a show is offered at 50% off, is that usually 50% off only the higher-end tickets? i.e. a show that has a ticket price range of $60-$100, is the discount only on the $100 tickets? Thanks for the info!
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 07:08 PM

Since you are going to a matinee you may be able to get the tickets the day before at the South Street Seaport TKTS. I think that used to be the policy.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses.

Ziggy, you are right but I will not be able to get to the South Seaport TKTS on Saturday due to other commitments. I will keep this in mind for future trips.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 05:33 AM

Nena, there is a chance that you'll be able to get the less expensive tickets at TKTS, since--believe it or not--sometimes those are the last ones to sell. Whichever ones you get, the price is 50% off plus a $3 service charge. And, remember TKTS only takes cash and travelers checks, no credit cards.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 05:35 AM

PS: Keep in mind that there is a chance that the discount for The Producers could be only 25%!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:46 AM

You probably know that last minute discount tickets may be single seats in isolated locations all over the theater.
M
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's comments. There are quite a bit of risk involved in TKTS, and our group of 4 is mulling over whether we really want to take the chance. We have a few weeks to go, and in the end, $$$ and time will dictate what we really want to do!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Nena, you last posting is a very smart and realistic one. If you heart is set on seeing The Producers, then get the tickets in advance. Sure, it'll be more expensive, but that option comes with two advantages: 1. You will definitely have the tickets; 2. They will be better seats than you would get at a discounted rate!
On the other hand, if you are more flexible in what you would see, then definitely wait and go to TKTS, as you'll definitely have a choice of shows on that day.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

HowardR - we finally all decided that our hearts are really set on The Producers! I searched the Net for discounts and bought a 30 day subscription on nytix.com for $3.00, and got a discount code that allowed me to buy the $100 tickets at $76. Prior to buying the nytix.com subscription, I searched everywhere and even signed up at playbill.com but their discount code was expired. We were able to get excellent mezzanine center aisle seats at about $82.50 each, inclusive of all the fees imposed by Telecharge. I did have to buy it on www.broadwayoffers.com since this is the website where you can enter the code. I could have also called Telecharge but the service fee was $0.50 more per ticket if you called! So now, everyone's quite happy and we are busily making plans for the extra two hours or so that we have by not lining up at TKTS. I have used TKTS in the past but we were staying at the Marriot Marquis right across the booth so it was not a big deal to line up, and we were also quite flexible then in terms of which shows to watch. I really appreciate everyone's help in this forum. Life is so much easier because of people's graciousness. Thank you.