Search

Chicago Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Advice

We are planning to attend the Auditorium the night of Oct 9th. We were hoping to say at a hotel near the Auditorium. Unfortunately, the next morning is the Chicago Marathon, which I understand will begin near where the Auditorium is located. So far, hotel searches are showing most are already booked up.

Not being familiar with the downtown, I would appreciate some hotel/driving/parking advice.
Shoud we stay somewhere else downtown and drive to the Auditorium for instance (original plan was to stay nearby and walk to it).

Thanks!
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 07:15 PM

Definetly stay downtown. Hotels in the Loop will be within walking distance to the Auditorium. Anywhere downtown will work in conjunction with taking a bus or train to the auditorium.

Hotels do seem to be hard to come by that night. If needs be, you could stay in the burbs and take CTA/METRA in, but I would but that as a secondary choice.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Well, I'm regretting purchasing the concert tix w/o having being aware of the marathon. There are NO rooms to be found Sat night, except at the Drake, at $400/night. A bit too steep for me. There are plenty of rooms for Friday night however. But that leaves some awkward logistics problem all day Sat.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:26 PM

What direction/highway are you coming in through. Most CTA Lines and all Metra lines have park/ride lots near the periphery of the lines. If you stay near one of these areas you will be able to get downtown easily each day.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

We are coming up from Indianapolis. Ther are plenty of rooms on Friday night, so we may just stay Friday, hope for a possible late checkout, continue to park in the garage (Palmer House or 727 S Michigan Hilton), then drive out afterwards and stay outside Chicago to avoid the Marathon. Is it walkable from either of these Hiltons to the Auditorium? Is the area safe to walk at night?

Thanks for the replies thus far.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 07:29 PM

Both of these hotels are within walking distance to the Auditorium, however, both are official hotels for the Marathon so it is unlikely rooms will open up there. I feel if they do, they will gauge you as well.

I think rooms may open up once it gets closer to those dates. Tour companies likely hold blocks of rooms for this event and will give back many of their rooms closer to the date.

Old Jul 31st, 2004, 07:34 PM

sorry part of my post got cut off for some reason.

If you want to book a back up hotel you could stay in the West Suburbs, Oakbrook area, and take the blue line in each day.

Forest Park has a large park and ride lot and is about 10 minutes from the Oakbrook Area.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 06:44 AM

I wouldn't worry about staying near the auditorium, taxis are so easy and plentiful, from any hotel in Chicago. Check out Le Meridien, never stayed there but great location and they have availability (check Hotels.com, we are looking for some friends that night as well). The Drake is as charming as it gets (and a perfect location), if you do decide to splurge.

The Marathon is worth staying downtown for. It is amazing to watch the 10's of thousands of racers in all shapes and sizes, some in costumes, running through the neighborhoods, with huge crowd cheering them on. It seems like it is always good weather, but cold!

Kristy
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Chicgal, are you a travel agent?

Anyway, after much consideration and discussion, and beady-eyed scrutiny of our bank accounts, we decided to semi-splurge and found rooms at the Westin - Chicago River North. Yes, all the hotels are gouging people, but the Westin seems to be gouging not quite as bad. One of the lower-end hotels was charging $312/night for rooms that typically ran for about $100-$125.

Anyway, how is this particular Westin and it's location? It's at 320 North Dearborn.

We also decided to stay both Fri/Sat nights, and make a good weekend of it -- no point in driving this far to feel rushed.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 10:42 AM

You are in fine shape at that location. Close to shopping, a quick cab, or even shuttle bus ride from the auditorium.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

OK, exactly what is it going to be like during the Marathon? Am I going to be stuck downtown until it's done, unless I leave at some unnaturally early hour??
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Anyone? Any advice or tips concerning Marathon Day?