Notices

Where to go and Stay in Chicago??

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:45 AM
ann

Where to go and Stay in Chicago??

Planning a trip for Early next year - maybe January or February, and just wondering where the best places to stay are. Looking at only a few days - 4 or so, and want to see and do as much as possible. Which hotels can anyone recommend?
Thanks alot

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:15 AM
Kris

A columnist from the Chicago Tribune recently did a poll of favorite months and Jan and Feb were #11 and #12, so it's not just me that thinks you are not picking the best time to come to Chicago
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-0209070218sep07(0,3516982).column?coll=chi%2Dnews% 2Dcol

If, however,that is the only time that you can travel, I would suggest staying closer to the museums (Art Institute, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum)and theater than to the shopping. If you happen to get a nice day then you can always take a cab up to Michigan Avenue.

The Palmer House is located near the museums and comes up often on Priceline at good rates. Check out www.biddingfortravel.com to see what the bids are.

Conversely, if you'd rather stay near the tourist area up on Michigan Avenue, the museums are only a short $5-6 cab ride away. Water Tower and 900 N. Michigan are both malls so there are plenty of stores to visit without going outside.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:35 AM
Ann

Best hotels are the Peninsula (my favorite; best hotel regardless of price PLUS it's cheaper than the other top hotels), Four Seasons, Grand Hyatt. Ritz is next down the list.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:37 AM
Kris

Just returned from a weekend in Chicago.
We stayed at the Swissotel. The hotel was wonderful. We had a corner room overlooking the lake. It was spectacular. Great service! Check online you can get a great rate too.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:22 AM
Owen O'Neill

I spent a weekend there this year in late spring and stayed at the Hilton Towers on South Michigan near the South Loop area. It was a short walk to a few museums but the surrounding area was dead on weekends and at night for cafes, restaurants, shops and pedestrian traffic. My personal preference is to take a cab or public transport to reach that area during the day if necessary and be close enough to other things to walk there to them in the evening. With the exception of a movie theatre and Buddy Guy Blues Club there was almost nothing open around the Hilton at night and that part of the Loop was pretty spooky and desolate at night.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:03 PM
patg

I would stay on North Michigan Avenue; the Talbott, Fitzpatrick, Omni Suites and Westin are all reasonably priced and well located for scampering in and out of heated buildings. The area is loaded with shops and restaurants. Take a cab to the Art Institute and Field Museum; also, look into Chicago's great theatre scene. hottix.org has half price, day of show tickets. chireader.com has good reviews. Free concerts are available at the Chicago Cultural Center, Jazz Center and Harold Washington Library. Chicago magazine and the Chicago Tribune' Metromix are two other great sources of information
chicagomag.com
metromix.com

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:27 PM
tom

Check out the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower on Chestnut St, two blocks off North Michigan. It is brand new....just opened in July and it is GREAT!!! My wife and I were just there 3 weeks ago and we can't wait to return!

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:44 PM
nina

Check www.biddingfortravel.com to see what folks have bid for Chicago hotels and then go to Priceline and bid. You can get good hotels for $75-$100. I suggest North Michigan Avenue. It is quite safe and there is lots of shopping to do. (For bargains, hit Filene's Basement - there are two locations in the city.)

As to what to do, I recommend going to see whatever play is going on at the Steppenwolf Theatre. You can get discount tickets at Hottix. Check their website -- www.hottix.com.

Check out the view from the John Hancock Tower Observatory and go to on a Chicago Architectural Foundation river cruise. When you buy the river cruise ticket, you can get a ticket to the John Hancock Tower Observatory at a 33% discount.

Check out world's largest Tiffany glass dome. It is beautiful. The Museum of Broadcast Communicatoin is housed in the same building. It is all free.

Another must see is the Art Institute of Chicago. You will see paintings you have seen in art books -- Degas ballerinas and Grant Woods' American Gothic. Fabulous!

Most of the museums have free days. You can get info on this at any of the Chicago Visitors' Centers.

Also, head over to the Navy Pier. The view from the ferris wheel is quite good. Also, check out the stained glass museum there. (Yes, it is FREE.)

You can see Shakespeare at the pier. You can get tickets at a great discount at Hottix on the day of the performance if it is during the week or on Friday if you want to go to a Friday, Saturday or Sunday performance.

Have a wonderful time in the windy city!