The other side of Brooklyn Bridge/Staten island ferry

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to NYC for the second time this week. Two of the best things I did last time were taking the commuter ferry to Staten Island for a cheap view of the statue of liberty (with a beer in hand!) and walking the Brooklyn Bridge. Thing is, I was more timid back then about straying off the beaten path. On both trips I doubled straight back on myself and headed back to Manhattan. So my question is: is there anything good to do/see on the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge or on Staten Island?
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:50 AM

On the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge, you're in Brooklyn Heights, a lovely upscale neighborhood. There's the Brooklyn museum, lovely restaurants & shops, townhouses and the Promenade which is a park along the river with great views fo Manhattan.

The museum is a bit of a walk. What you could do is take the subway there

http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/visit/directions
and walk back for great views of the skyline. Or, forego the walk over the bridge and just walk along the promenade.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:51 AM

On Staten Island, near the ferry - NO. There really isn't much within walking distance of the ferry. You can take a bus to the Richmondtown historic area. However, if you've been to Williamsburg, VA, it won't seem like much.

I'll leave the Brooklyn answer to Vinnie from Bensonhurst.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 09:52 AM

re: the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge...

Sure, there's lots to see and do! There are two distinct neighborhoods at the end of the BB: Brooklyn Heights and Dumbo.

Brooklyn Heights is a beautiful residential neighborhood full of tree-lined quiet streets and brownstones. Think "Cosby Show" - I believe that's where they were supposed to live! Henry Street and Montague Street are kind of the "main streets" there. It's an area made for walking, and it's extremely safe. Of course, the highlight of any trip to Bklyn Heights is the Promenade - a park/path with benches and plants overlooking downtown Manhattan. I often stop at Garden of Eden on Montague Street for a salad, and bring it over to the Promenade to have lunch with a view.

Dumbo is the artsy, cobblestoned, once-industrial neighborhood just north of the Bridge and Bklyn Heights, which I call home. It stands for "Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass." Washington Street and Water Street are the main drags. Besides being home to several art galleries, Dumbo is known for its theater (called St. Ann's Warehouse), its park with wondrous views of the bridges, and its famous chocolate factory/shop on Water Street called Jacques Torres Chocolates. It's a MUST if you like chocolate (note: it is closed after 7 and on Sundays).

Old Fulton Street. which runs alongside the Bridge, separates the two 'hoods. This is where Grimaldi's Pizza can be found (best rated pizza in NYC...it's the thin-crust, coal-oven type. I can't get enough of it). At the end of Old Fulton there is a short pier (aka Fulton Landing) where the Brooklyn Ice Cream factory is located. Homemade ice cream...mmm...the strawberry is divine.

Let me know if you have any more questions about this area!

S