The Inn at Laguna Beach - your thoughts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ocean view room with balcony on first floor vs. ocean view room with balcony on top floor? The first floor room is about $120 less. Has anyone stayed here in a first floor room? What do you think? This would be in June.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 12:29 PM

I know this hotel gets good write ups..but we stayed at an upper room, "nuns qtrs" with a view and I have to say we were disappointed.

The busy road is between you and the ocean, road noise, dangerous to cross with drinkers out at night, pool was small, we had an oceanview if we sat outside the room on a bench, TV did not work and we spent the 1st 5 hours with the repairman.
Parking lot is a challenge. Room very small and shower tiny..

Upside, the breakfast was wonderful and they did try to make up for the room issues with good customer service.

Myadvice, book an upgraded room or suite with as little road noise as possible.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Stayed in August 2006 in an upstairs room at the back of the property, as far away from the road as you can be. Had no problem with road noise. Our room and bathroom were quite small, but cute and we were not there much. The breakfast was great out on the patio. Pool small and quiet. People were great and very informative as to where we could go to find the things/activities we desired. Loaned us some things for the beach. There were a couple of nicer rooms, larger, but they might have been right on the road. I agree that being away from the road is more important than ocean view. Another issue with being upstairs was that there was no elevator and no bellman, so just be ready to take your bags up the stairs yourself. It was not a bad experience overall, and we booked late and were glad to find something, but it was definitely a small room
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 03:16 PM

Hi OTC ~
Can't offer anything about the Inn but if it doesn't work out, try the Laguna Riviera. Its right on the ocean with fabulous views and very reasonable for OC.

Totally a 'mom and pop' and not luxurious, but clean and comfy. The private beach access was carefully monitored. And a free con't breakfast was included each morning. Also carefully monitored lol. But definitely a good value for OC.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. We're going to pass on this hotel. Instead, we're going to go to Pismo Beach for a few days and stay at the Spyglass Inn, where we have been previously and liked, and then from there we'll drive to (and stay in) Pomona for a hot rod show my husband wants to go to.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 10:41 AM

We're looking into this hotel, too. I was also wondering if the 2nd and 3rd floor ocean view rooms w/balcony were worth the premium over the first floor oceanview rooms.
I must say that the reviews I've read, as well as the website, list this particular hotel as "on the beach". There are other hotels that do have a road in between the hotel and the beach, but that is NOT supposed to be the case with this one. The ocean view rooms are actually oceanside rooms and the roooms on the roadside are NOT on the oceanside. I'm wondering if the first two posters here are confusing this property with another?
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

gtrgal- after reading your post, I entered Inn at Laguna Beach in the search bar, and now I, too, am wondering if these posts are referring to another hotel, possibly the Case Laguna Inn. I'm going to contact the hotel directly and ask if there's a road between the hotel and beach and will post back here with their response.