Just a glimpse of Philadelphia

Old Apr 19th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Amy
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a glimpse of Philadelphia

Today was almost like summer, with temperatures up to 85. Since I had to go into center city, I took my camera along.

I started out in Chinatown, with decent dim sum at the Imperial Inn. (Quite a crowd!) There were activities going on along the street, and the usual busyness.

From there I walked to the relatively newly rehabbed Franklin Square at 7th and Race; it was lovely to see the families out having fun.

The Visitors' Center at 6th and Market is a great restroom break aloong with the place ot pick up the new brochures for various attractions!

Down past Independence Hall (and the Free Mumia demo) to Walnut Street, with a walk through Washington Square as well, to Naked Chocolate cafe to get some of those insanely good carrot cake cupcakes to go...and a frozen Aztec chocolate drink because, well, who could resist?

After a stop at Lush (to which I became addicted back when it was in the UK/Europe/Canada only) I continued on up to Daffy's, but today wasn't a bargain finding day for me...just a day for wandering a bit of a beloved city.

Pictures are here:

[URL=http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/563154710eoxUAu]
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 04:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We always want to travel to see new things.

I think it should be a pre-requisite to explore your home area.

What a great day you must have had!!!
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 06:38 AM

Great report!
Did you say Daffy's, woohoo,
great to know!
Our niece is now at Villanova
so I am there!
Thanks for posting.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Amy
Original Poster

It really was a lovely day! I always think, when I get a chance to do this, that I should do it more often; usually I'm rushing into and out of town to pick up something specific. This time, I just wandered about with my little Olympus digital and took pix of whatever struck my fancy. (It's about the size, except for thickness, of a credit card, so it's pretty easy to carry around.)

I do enjoy Daffy's, but my go-to store for hunting is Ross...and the Mothership is down there at 7th and Market.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Love a TR from a local! When I visited a few years ago I spent quite some time on the multi-floored Daffy's, we don't have that in northen California ...
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:10 AM

my family and I (2 boys under age 2) are going to philly for a weekend away from nj in late may.
where is the carousel???
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:36 AM

The carousel is in Franklin Square at 6th and Race.

http://www.onceuponanation.org/franklinsquare.htm
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:43 AM

these's also a brand new mini-golf (putt-putt to some of you!) course in Franklin Square (right next to the merry go round) that features all Phila Landmarks... eg you putt your golf ball through Love Park, over the BF Bridge etc. around Boathouse Row ...Very fun!
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Amy
Original Poster

I've added some more pictures to the link above: it's Shofuso, the Pine Breeze Villa, in Fairmount Park; I took my students there on Thursday after a morning walk around Chinatown. It opens to the public on May 01 and is open until October. This is the first time I saw the new murals-gorgeous-but I didn't get any pix of them.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice report, Amy. A picture of Naked Chocolate Cafe?? By Amy?? Who would have thought?? Now I know what it looks like.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Amy
Original Poster

Yeah, right, really, I don't have an obsession or anything (insert very sincere emoticon here). Let's just say it's a good thing it isn't any closer to where I live; I'd be in big trouble.

(Wants an Aztec hot chocolate. Now.)