Now They Want to Check your Credit Report

Mar 1st, 2003, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Now They Want to Check your Credit Report

Believe me, big brother is watching. So don't go over your limit if you don't want to be flagged as dangerous by Security. I think that this is going to far? What do you think?
Mar 1st, 2003, 11:14 PM

I think it's absolutely surreal! Banning small knives and boxcutters and reinforcing cockpit doors would have solved the problem. Instead, we get a zealous government using this opportunity to totally invade and control its citizens. There should be more of a revolt; but instead, it seems, the majority once or twice a year flyer thinks this makes things more impregnable. I highly doubt a credit check will prevent a determined terrorist from causing damage. Imagine, "I'm sorry sir, your credit score is much too low. We will not be able to allow you to ignite your suicide bomb. Please reapply in six months."
Mar 2nd, 2003, 07:06 AM

I'm as unhappy as anyone about the erosion of the rights and freedoms we're supposedly going to war to protect.

But here's what I think is the deal w/credit reports: looking for very recent beginning of the history (45 yrs. old and only had credit for 2 yrs.), odd/suspicious spending patterns, like really large bills run up and paid off in one month, etc. If you use a little imagination, you can imagine what the Sept. 11 terrorists' credit report might have looked like -- some wouldn't have had any at all, some would have had very recent and very odd records.

The only way I can really imagine a "normal" person with iffy debt could be considered a threat would be if they looked like they wanted to commit suicide to avoid bankruptcy, which really isn't what the TSA is after.

Finally, what's the point of getting upset about the "privacy" of something that anyone who has an employers' tax ID number or other id as a "business" can get, anytime they want? I have assumed that my credit report was damn near public information for a couple of years now. For that reason and also for tighter personal financial management, I'm phasing out most of my cards now, anyway.
Mar 2nd, 2003, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Think about this..once we get used to it, they will need to know more about us...a very nice data base, but if it gets into the wrong hands: utter havoc!! They (anyone with ill intent) will know who has money and who doesn't (i.e., who to kidnap), who is old and who is young (who might be threatening), who owns home, who is foreign born, who might have an arrest record (cleared or not), who travels a lot and where they go (possible extortion, forced drug donkeys, etc.) Now you may say this is prepostrous and to the extreme, but haven't we always cherished our freedoms. Do we really want to surrender them, all in the name of 'security'.??
Mar 2nd, 2003, 12:05 PM
Cassandra

I think soccr's correct, but he/she doesn't take it far enough, Aurelia. The point is that they already have all this information on you. Unless you have never had a job, never borroowed money, never had a credit card or a charge account, never gone to college, never paid taxes -- never, in fact, had a social security card -- you are in the system already and all that information you're talking about is already available. Every last item.

If you don't believe it, just hire a private investigator to find out all those things about you. In some ways, the government is the last to know about you, while others -- insurers, retailers, banks, credit card issuers, lenders, employers -- have had access to it for quite a long time.

No one batted an eye when the law changed so that unless YOU tell all your creditors and insurers (including health insurance) not to share whatever information they have on you with a third party, they can and will. If you haven't "opted out" with everyone, it's very easy -- for ANYONE with a corporate identity -- to go on line and find your criminal record, and otherwise they can inquire of your health insurer whether you've had any operations, your bank about how much equity you might have to cover a loan, or the credit bureaus to find out how quickly you pay what kind of bills. It's all already out there -- average balances, etc. You lost your privacy about 15 years ago, but since you lost it to someone other than the government, no one peeped. (By contrast, if you use the Freedom of Information Act to find out what the FBI has on you, you'll probably find precious little.)

The main point: The database is already there, otherwise Delta or other airlines wouldn't have a hope of putting such a thing in place.

Mar 2nd, 2003, 08:35 PM

Is this for real ? What are they actaully doing?
Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:16 AM

This latest plan adds NOTHING to national security since it will, in effect if not in intent, exempt the majority of foreigners. The majority of foreigners passing through the U.S. won't have social security numbers, won't have U.S. bank accounts, won't have information on U.S. credit bureaus. So the airlines will only be getting this information from Americans--who are the least likely to be terrorists.
The Israelis manage to operate one of the most secure airlines in the world--in the middle of what is in essence an oingoing war zone--without going through the personal files of their own citizens every time they fly.
By the way, Cassandra, don't go around saying "no one batted an eye" about the mounting invasions of privacy. Some of us fought VERY hard against such entities as the Medical Information Bureau, only to be thwarted by the complacent "I have nothing to hide" types who bought the argument that it "improves health care" (it didn't). The latest invasion of privace and assault on our civil rights is supposed to "improve security". It won't.

Mar 3rd, 2003, 05:47 PM

Maybe passengers should ask airlines about their credit before we fly.

Might they go out of business before we use our tickets?

Quite honestly I am happy to see them struggle. For many years their employees were arrogant and rude. The airlines randomly charged fares and engaged in shoddy business practices.

Now the traveller is the king. It is my turn to be arrogant.
Mar 3rd, 2003, 11:11 PM

I am wondering how they could accomplish this (I am sure the govt has all sorts of ways, but we are talking about millions of travellers). For speed and efficiency they would need your social security number, and I have never given that for a flight - nor would I. My husband's name is so common there are 3 people by same name in our small town alone - so it can't just be name and address.
Mar 7th, 2003, 12:04 PM

A unique key is required to get a credit report...

unique key #1 - social security number

or

unique key #2 - home state, drivers license number

A non-unique key might also find a single person like.....

name, address, city, state....

This will almost always yield a unique person. On the 99% of the time it gets a unique person a credit report can be retrieved.
Mar 9th, 2003, 10:52 AM

It would seem quite suspect for someone say 45 years old with only 2 years worth of credit history and high spending....maybe this makes sense?? I'm for anything that might work!
Mar 11th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Airlawgirl

Cassandra and soccr have got it right. The information in the CAPPS II program that appears in the database as you show up for your flight will not be stored-it will disappear as soon as the pax in question is "ranked"- and having bad credit or being behind on your alimony payments, of itself, is not going to trigger a no fly alert.

Mar 11th, 2003, 11:30 PM

No they don't. The info can be stored up to 50 years.
Mar 12th, 2003, 10:21 PM

Soon you will not be able to move about the country without your credit history, employment history, alimony & child support payments and maybe even internet usage being known. And yes, this will be kept on file for 50 years. So be careful not to lose or change your job, fall behind on the mortgage payment, go to the wrong church or think you have privacy surfing the internet in your den because you could be denied boarding. This brought to you by CAPPS II, the computer assisted passenger presreening system.

Search this Thread