Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Off-Topic -- But Best Cash-Back Credit Cards?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I hope that it's ok to ask here -- what're some of the best credit cards in terms cash back? There's one from Amex that offers 1.5% after spending more than $6500 (Blue Cash).

Are there some others? My cards currently give me 1% cash back.

Thanks.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:32 AM
yk

I'm not an expert, but I think almost all cash-back CCs out there have standard 1% return.

Some CCs offer 5% return on gasoline, supermarket purchases, and 1% return on other purchases.

One of my CC is Shell-Citi, and I get 5% on Shell gasoline purchases.

Also, some cash-back CCs won't give you $ back until you have accumulated a "pre-set" amount. Some I've seen are set at $100. So one has to spend $10,000 on the CC before getting any money back.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:37 AM
MaureenB

I like my Costco AmEx platinum card. I only pay the one $60 fee for CostCo membership to have the card. I get my rebate checks from AmEx based on all the money charged to it, wherever I shop. The rebate checks are only payable to Costco, though, which is fine with me since I shop there weekly. I don't depend on it for foreign travel or my primary credit card, though, since many places do not accept AmEx.

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

I agree that only using Amex can be problematic. But actually Blue Cash seems like a good deal as long as you charge a lot. My understanding is this (based on my conversation with the phone rep this morning):

Everyday purchases (up to $6500): 1% cash back.

Other purchases (up to $6500): 0.5% cash back.

For each penny over 6500.01, you get 5% for everyday purchases and 1.5% for other purchases.

You can't combine the two categories, however (i.e. if you spend $5000 on every day purchases and $5000 elsewhere, you'll get 1% x $5000 + 0.5% x $5000).

Still anyone who charges more than 1K a month may want to think about it (especially with travel, etc. -- but then I guess the embedded Amex "fee" in terms of foreign-exchange rate conversions is not as competitive). I'm someone who probably doesn't spend that much on "everyday purchases," if if I assume that's 0, then if I charge more than 13000 a year, I'll probably be better off with the Amex Blue Cash. Or basically, as long as I charge more than $13,000 for "other expenses," I'm better off with Amex.

http://tinyurl.com/d7ab2

(Link to Amex)

I'm still thinking about it. So would love to hear if there're other good deals out there.

Thanks.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:06 AM
yk

I took a look at the Amex Card. How do you get the $ back?

The fine print says:

"Cash rebate awarded annually based upon the first $50,000 of purchases."
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:18 AM

Here is another vote for the Costco Amex Card.I also think that you don't have to redeem your rebate only at Costco.I am pretty sure you can cash it for cash at Costco.
More info:With the TrueEarningsSM Card from Costco and American Express you can earn a full 3% cash back at any restaurant, even for takeout or delivery. You can also earn a full 2% cash back for traveling - on airline tickets, hotel stays, car rentals, and cruises - even when you book through travel agencies. And every other time you use the TrueEarnings Card you can earn 1% cash back, including at Costco.

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

I've not checked the link again -- does that mean that the eligible amount for rebates is capped at 50,000 every year? (I guess I can call them and find out.)

I can relate some anecdotal evidence (third-hand) -- that Amex automatically credits your card and there's nothing you need to do. By contrast, I just called my Visa and Mastercard companies to get my rebates yesterday. The Visa, which used to be Bankone (now Chase), sends me a check. The MBNA MC has credited my account (but a call is still necessary) (I've already checked online).
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like the Costco one is worth looking into. I live in NYC so have really no need for Costco (I've not been to one in ages). But if the membership fee is worth the cash rebate money it's something to think about.