Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Valentine's Day: Anyone planning anything wonderful?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a wonderful getaway planned for Valentine's Day? Let me live vicariously through you!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:49 AM
GoTravel

No. My spouse and I do not celebrate Valentines Day because it is a pain.

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 08:44 AM

me and the boys are gonna hit the bar scene to find our valentines tonite.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Hi melh, Planning to spend a nice, quiet evening with my boyfriend of 4 years at my place. I don't like to go out on Valentine's because everything ti too crowded. Respectfully, Leslie
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 08:54 AM

As a guy, I have to say that Valentine's Day is a giant fraud. If I buy my wife flowers, take her to a nice restaurant, buy her a card, etc., is she happy? No. I don't earn any bonus points. It's expected. But if I forget - then I'm in the proverbial doghouse for a long, long time and the sin is never forgiven, never forgotten.

And then - what do I get from her? If I'm lucky I'll get a card. I think this is all some big Hallmark marketing sham.

That said - I'm taking my wife to the big city for one of those Hibachi style Japanese dinners. If I'm lucky, I'll get really drunk on Sapporo.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 09:37 AM
GoTravel

It's a much better buzz getting drunk on Sake.

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 11:47 AM

We are members of the James Beard Foundation in NYC. They do one seating per night with a set menu. A different chef every night. For Valentine's Day they have Osteria del Circo from the Bellagio in Las Vegas. No hassle, no decisions, no problem. A truly special evening. You do not have to be a member to go, but it will cost you $25 more per person to be a guest. Cost of dinner includes pass around hors d's from 7 to 8 and a featured wine. Then a 4 or 5 course meal with a wine with each course, tax, tip, and coat check. There is an open kitchen for you to hang out in. They will seat you with another couple, or 2, 3 or 4 other couples--whatever you prefer. Our favorite restaurant in NYC!!! All of this in James Beard's own townhouse on W12th St. www.jamesbeard.org go to 'events' to see the nightly chef and menu. Anyone wanting more info, just ask away! We truly do love this place and eat there quite frequently.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 11:54 AM

OH, my God! I heard that Friday was VD day, but I misunderstood. Never mind, better change the plans.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 12:27 PM

I see we have a bunch of hopeless romantics here! Hubby and I are combining VD with our Anniversary(in 3 weeks) and going to Paris for 5 days. Sorry to burst your bubble! hehehe
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 03:49 PM

Bird,
I suggest that you buy your wife a book or something on "romantic ideas for couples". I'm sure SOMEONE wrote a book on it! LOL. I would give it to your wife with some type of inscription suggesting you try these "surprises" out on each other. Hint hint to HER!

That said, I havent planned a thing as yet for my husband! Last year however, I bought tons of rose petals, sprinkled them up the stairs, leading into the bath, with the jacuzzi steaming and candles lit. Followed this up with a facial and foot massage for him! Oh yes, I did get him a card as well! LOL. We tend not to go out on these "special" nights as the service is usually awful etc. So I cooked his favorites and set the table in the living room in front of the fire.
Hmmmmm, what AM i going to do this year? I'll have to get working on it.

PS dont put the rose petals on the bed, or at least remove them before you get on it, they will stain!! But they do create a lovely ambience, covering the bed, floating in the bath water, etc!
Have fun!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 04:05 PM

Prawns. some good dry french champagne and no doubt a discussion on whether to do the living room in Benjamin Moore"Persimmon" or duct tape and plastic sheeting.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 06:15 AM

We did our "Valentine's" last weekend to avoid the crowds. A wonderful trip to Savannah! Stayed at the Ballastone, ate at wonderful restaurants. Met great folks staying their too. Could not have been a nicer trip!!!
We will be back....Kris
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Tess

Celebrated the big day with heart-shaped pancakes at breakfast this morning (with hubby and the kids--14 year-old thought it was lame but secretly liked it). Tonight we're going to a wine-tasting with some other couples. Pretty low key but surrounded by the ones I love!

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 11:23 AM

We are also staying home. Making mussels in white wine sauce for dinner. We are leaving for New Orleans on Thursday. Anyway, I have to agree with the men on this one (I'm a woman) that Valentines Day is way to get you to part with your money. And the restaurants are so crowded there is no way they could be considered romantic. Pam, your decorating comment had me laughing out loud!
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 12:02 PM

Since my beau and mine anniversary is tomorrow I am cooking for him tonight. Champagne with salad with goat cheese. 97 Willamette Valley pinot with rack of lamb, roasted potatoes with shallots in sage butter and a chocolate tart for dessert. I love to cook! Tomorrow he is taking me out but won't tell me where so I guess it will be a romantic surprise!

Wendy
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 12:24 PM

I love Valentine's Day because there are never enough opportunities to show we care about each other. It doesn't have to necessarily mean romantic love. There all kinds. We've been married 33 years, so we don't need a special day to be alone together. But we do realize it's a hard day for some singles who might be home tonight. For the last 20 years we've hosted a dinner for some single guys and gals. Tonight we're having a greek dinner and watching (guess what?)"My Big Fat Greek Wedding" on DVD. And a big, fat, happy valentines day to all our friends out there!
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 12:37 PM

Awaiting for my Honey to return late tonight from a business trip. I'll leave a light on and keep the bed warm.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 01:13 PM

Wendy, '97 Willamette Valley Pinot....good stuff. I've got a nice bottle of Syrah to go with the fondue dinner my wife has planned.

I caught a little of the Glen Beck (radio talk) Show today; pretty funny. He was bailing out guys who hadn't planned anything by calling their wives to announce that the husband's letter had won the show's Couple of the Year contest. Don't know what time his show airs live; maybe it's not too late for some of you.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Kal

Alohaaa,
We were planning on doing a last minute "seat of the pants" trip to Napa/Sonoma but Mrs Kal has a greedy boss (aka:her)so she's booked tonight and tomorrow. There are also hints of rain for Sat/Sunday...bummer.
So, tomorrow night we'll have a belated, quiet candlelit VTine's Day dinner at home with me being in charge of the main course, she in charge of a side dish and we'll both be dessert...I mean in charge of dessert. ;-)

As for wines, a Carneros Creek Pinny isn't too bad either, my b'bum friend to the north!
However, Zins rule this year in the Casa de Kal!
Happy Valentine's Day to all!
Kal
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 05:07 PM

Just had my date with the Colonel from KFC - Happy V Day ya'll!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -