Notices

The Homestead- Hot Springs VA

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Homestead- Hot Springs VA

Has anybody stayed at this resort? Husband wants to go fly fishing, I do not want to stay in the wilderness, this seems like a nice compromise. Will be driving from DC.
End of April.

Any other suggestions? Anybody been to Berkeley Springs, West VA? Also considering there tho there is no grand hotel.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 01:13 PM

There is a wonderful spa there - it is a 5 star hotel. You'll also enjoy the food - you can hike, horseback, golf is fantastic - even if you just ride around in the cart it's very scenic. Ask to stay in the old tower that overlooks the 1st tee of the Homestead Course - those are the best rooms (imhop). Enjoy - way better than anything in Berkely Springs!
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 01:26 PM

HOmestead is a very nice place!! We've loved our stay and I especially loved the spa!!
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 01:31 PM

The Washington Post did an article in the Travel Section awhile ago on comparing The Homestead to The Greenbriar. Maybe you could do a search on their website.

Have a great time!
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help everybody!

My next question was going to be: how does the Homestead compare to the Greenbriar. The Post article reneeinva pointed me to was perfect! Lots of info, witty, great comparisons.
Thanks!
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 05:09 PM

Been to both! Enjoyed both!! I think the Greenbriar is a larger complex, but you will have a great time at the Homestead. It is a relaxing place. Bring your dress clothes. This is not a jeans place. Night time they have dinner and dancing. The food is excellent. I wish I could go tomorrow. I could use a relaxing weekend!! Both places are nice if you pick one you can't go wrong(Homestead/Greenbriar) Be prepared though the last 40 minutes of the drive is winding roads! My child got carsick and I almost did too! The second time we went I was better prepared for the drive and we drove slower!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:59 PM

The state parks in WVA do not compare with the Homestead but are a very good value. If you want to save a small fortune, consider Canaan Valley/Blackwater Falls S.P. The WVA website gives a good feel for what's there. Berkeley Springs is further north than necessary from DC and not as nice as the 2 above resorts. The rooms are basic, the golf excellent but not the best of the WVA options.