The best National Parks

Apr 6th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

The best National Parks

Hi we're currently booked to do an RV road trip from Grand Canyon (2 nights) through Sequoia and Kings Canyon (NP) (2 nights) and Yosemite (4 nights)
GC and Yosemite are pretty much locked in but just want to make sure we're not missing anything between the 2 major parks.
Apr 6th, 2006, 06:34 AM

If you have the time you could travel from the G.Canyon via Page(lake Powell) to Bryce canyon and then to Zion n.park.Then via L.Vegas through Death valley and further over the Tioga pass to Yosemite and then from Yosemite To Sequoia and kings can.Then you would have the best of the best.Paul
Apr 6th, 2006, 06:40 AM

I agree....if you are going to GC, check out Bryce and Zion then go thru Vegas if you'd like. How are you getting to GC? Because if you are driving north from Phoenix....can't miss Sedona!
Apr 6th, 2006, 07:49 AM

The "best" has been outlined by tovarich--assuming that Tioga Pass is open when you are traveling.
Apr 6th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

we're going in May so from what I read Tioga pass won't be open.

Picking the RV up from Vegas and driving straight to G.Canyon, after the 2 days there we are open for suggestions, as our next booking is in the Valley at Yosemite. We have 3 days to kill between G.Canyon and Yosemite and had thought about Sequoia and Kings but didn't know if that was the best use of the time.
How long is the Drive from Bryce or Zion?
Apr 6th, 2006, 02:46 PM

Do you only have three days and two nights to get from the Grand Canyon to Yosemite Valley?

Grand Canyon to Zion is 255 miles. Zion to Yosemite Valley (skipping Sequioa) would be 655 miles.

The Grand Canyon to the Ash Mountain Entrance of Sequioa is 610 miles. That's one long day driving in a motorhome! The road into Sequoia is curvey and slow. I don't know where you planned to camp in Sequioa, but if you only have the two nights between Grand Canyon and Yosemite, I'd spend that first night after the Grand Canyon at Bakersfield and then the second night in Sequioa.

OK, the big questions. What dates are you going to be in Yosemite? We are going to be there in mid May!

Utahtea
Apr 6th, 2006, 08:48 PM

Zion and Bryce are less than an hour from each other.
Bryce, Yosemite, and GC are my top 3 US national parks. I would definitely choose it over Kings Canyon.

Perhaps you can stay at Bryce (they have charming cabins near the rim) and do Zion on your way in or out.
Unfortunately, we did the drive from Vegas to Yosemite one year. It was long, and definitely interesting, but not necessarily beautiful. Get a good book on tape!

Have fun!
Dina
Apr 6th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

Sorry it's actually 3 nights between GC and Yosemite but we know we're going to spend a night on the road between the two.

We're in Yosemite from 7th may until the 11th and then off to San Fransisco. If anyone has any MUSTS for Yosemite that would be great.
Apr 7th, 2006, 10:38 PM

Oh, I'm glad you had a night planned for on the road.

With 4 days and 3 nights to get from Grand Canyon to Sequoia, you could make one night stop at Zion, but you would have to give up a night in Sequoia. In my opinion, it would be worth it. If you wanted to give up Sequoia all together you could even spend a night at Bryce too.

If you do decide to go to Bryce and Zion, I doubt you will want to pay for cabins since you will have the RV. There are two campgrounds in Bryce and Zion. Bryce are in a forest setting. One is reservation only and the other is first come, first serve. There is also a private campground called Ruby's Inn & Campgroud just outside the park boundries. There are two campgrounds in Zion. Watchman has electrical hook ups and you can make reservations. South Campground is on a first, come first serve basis. There is also a private campground in Springdale.

Well, it looks like we will be in Yosemite for a couple of the same days! How cool is that!

When you enter Yosemite from Sequoia, you will want to enter Yosemite at the South Entrance on Hwy 41. Nearby is the Pioneer History Center and the Mariopa Grove of Sequioa's. In early May, I doubt that Glacier Point will be open so that really just leaves Yosemite Valley, but that's where we prefer to spend all our time.

Yosemite Falls and Bridalveil Falls are short little walks to see. Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls take some hiking. You will see a couple of other falls on the Vernal Falls hike. The Mist Trail up to Vernal Falls can get you soaking wet, so bring rain slicks or buy the cheap ones at the stores in Yosemite Village. Mirror Lake is a nice little hike. There are lots of bike trails and you can rent bikes at Curry Village, or just walk around on the bike/walking trails in the Valley area.

Utahtea