I and my husband are planning to drive the following itinerary :

May 30 - S.Fco / YOS

Jun 01 - YOS / DV-Mojave

Jun 02 - YOS / Las Vegas

Jun 04 - Las Vegas / Grand Canyon

Jun 07 - Grand Canyon / Sedona

Jun 09 - Sedona / Phoenix

Jun 10 - flight Phoenix / NY

How does it sound ? Is Bryce and Zion worth a visit and doable in this itinerary ? Any comments / suggestions are welcome !

Thanks

Old May 16th, 2005, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a little confused. First, what happens on May 31st...are you spending that night in Yosemite?

Do you plan on driving from Yosemite to Death Valley and then back to Yosemite on June 1st or is Death Valley suppose to be an option for that days destination?

The problem with going to Death Valley from Yosemite is the fact that there is a VERY good chance that Tioga Pass, Hwy 120 thought Yosemite National Park will NOT be open yet. There was a lot of snow and they haven't finished plowing and there also road repairs that need to be done before it opens this year.

If Tioga Pass is closed, then Death Valley will really be out of your way and will be HOT this time of the year. From Yosemite Village to Las Vegas is 490 miles and approx. 9 hours driving time. If you add just Death Valley you're looking at 585 miles and well over 13 hours of driving time.

Zion and Bryce are SO worth the time, but you really don't have enough time to see them both.

I would choose Zion over Death Valley and take the route thought Zion to Grand Canyon! Going thought Zion to the S. Rim of the Grand Canyon will add 140 miles and about 3 more hours driving. The bonus is you will also pass thought Lake Powell.

Utahtea

Old May 17th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Utahtea,

Tks for the feedback and let me clarify your doubts.

1) May 31 - full day and spend night in YOS

2) On Jun 02, sorry for my mistake. Itīs DV-LV and not YOS-LV .Planning to arrive in DV on Jun 01, spend night and lv on Jun 02 for Las Vegas, however not sure to do that after have read your inputs.

3) this itinerary is flexible, 1-2 days can be added in some places. Could choose Bryce and Zion over DV. So would change YOS/LV to YOS/Zion( how long does it take ? suggestions between this route ?)and follow your suggested itinerary. Then from GC head to LV/Sedona/Phoenix.

Pls let me know your thoughts and thanks again !
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:47 AM

Have you heard about the floods that have closed Yosemite?
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:44 AM

I've read different stories, but one mentioned that it might still be closed until after Memorial Day weekend, but watching the news is the only way to know for sure. If for some reason Yosemite is closed then you will have more time for Zion, Bryce, Lake Powell and the Grand Canyon.

I would do Las Vegas first either after Yosemite (490 miles) or San Francisco (570 miles), then Zion (160 miles), Bryce (86 miles), Lake Powell (you pass right by)(155 miles) Grand Canyon village (140 miles), Sedona (120 miles), & then Phoenix (115 miles). In that order. If Yosemite is closed and you decided to do Death Valley, then put it before Las Vegas. SF to DV is 525 miles. SF to either DV or Las Vegas is going to be a long day.

Utahtea

Old May 18th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Utahtea and happytrailstoyou,

Thanks a lot for your inputs.
We really hope Yosemite is open by May 31 and will follow up its conditions.
Utahtea , thanks for the suggested schedule. In case YOS is closed, thinking of lv SF, going down towards LA (heard that this view is scenic)and then go to DV/ LA and so on. Is it a good idea ?
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:27 PM

Yosemite Valley is open again, it was closed for one day due to flooding, but the water has subsided. With the right combination of snowmelt and rain, it could easily happen again in the next few weeks but for now the Valley is open.

Tioga Road (CA-120 within Yosemite Park) is still closed for winter and will almost certainly remain closed until late June at the earliest. I wouldn't even count on it being open by the Fourth of July this year, due to the huge amount of snow from the past winter. This means that you can't enter Yosemite from the east (Nevada/Mono Lake) nor can you get through Yosemite to Death Valley/Las Vegas by the more direct and scenic route (US 395).

You will have to head south along CA-99 to 58 then back north on CA-14/US-395/CA-190 for DV or
I-15 for LV.

Also the DV website says that there's heavy construction in the park, vehicles are being led through by convey and many of the attractions are not accessible due to road closures.

Old May 19th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Tks sequoia !

Will definitely forget DV and try Yosemite. What about taking a flight YOS - LV as itīs a very long drive and canīt take the more direct and scenic route (US 395) ? Fresno is the closest airport to YOS ?