Convertible for Yosemite/Zion?

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Convertible for Yosemite/Zion?

Thanks fodorites for your help so far. I have another question.

My husband and I are going to Yosemite/Zion/Bryce the end of June and have been advised by a couple of people to rent a convertible. I know we wished we had had one when we went to Yellowstone, inside the the park and driving the Beartooth and the road to Cody.

Although there will be times when it will be too hot and we'll want the top up, are we going to regret not having a convertible on other parts of the trip?

Thanks for your advice.

FL
loridafran
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 09:16 PM

If you were sorry you didn't do it in Yellowstone, I'm sure you will be sorry you didn't do it on this trip too.

In Zion the scenery is breattaking. You won't be able to drive the 6 mile scenic highway unless you are staying at the Zion Lodge in the park.

Bryce you don't see the much of the canyon as you drive, but you can see vistas off in the distance.

Yosemite, especially over Tioga Pass will be good.

The only thing to think about is how much will you really be able to keep the top down with the hot sun beating down on you.

Utahtea
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

utahtea.

Thanks for your reply. You have to be one of the most knowledgeable and helpful of the fodorites. I know you post on the park chat pages as well and I've gotten good info there, too.

We are staying in park at Zion, Bryce and Sequoia/KingsCanyon. Haven't been able to get what we need in Yosemite yet, but I intend to keep calling. Any suggests on best time of day to do this?

You observation about the hot sun and the top are what has me wavering. I just know that when we're driving through the parks we'll be going slower and I think the feeling of being open to the nature surrounding us is something we'll treasure.

Floridafran
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 07:58 AM

Floridafran,

I don't have any first hand knowledge of getting lodging in the park because we camp. I would try often. My son's always seem to be able to get in and the closer you get to your date might open things up. People tend to wait until the end to cancel.

Well, one nice thing about a convertable is you can always put the top up!

Have a good trip!

Utahtea
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 08:15 AM
maj

How do you get to the park chat pages? Are there other forums that are as good as this one? I've tried a couple of other ones, but wasn't impressed (can't remember which ones they were now). I've found this forum to be pretty accurate when I have read about places where we have been. Of course, there are different opinions and people like different things, but I've found if you get different opinions you can make better choices on what works for you.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Here is the link to the park chat boards I've been to.

http://www.us-national-parks.net/chat.htm

Unfortunately the guy who runs them had to shut down most of the different park links because of spammers and kids with dirty language. He just didn't have time to police them all. Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Big Bend and Yellowstone are the only ones I know that are still up and running.

Also, at the bottom of this page on my website I list the other message boards I frequent.

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/linkpage.htm

In all honesty, fodor's is the BEST.

Utahtea
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 12:08 PM
maj

Utahtea--thanks for the info.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

utahtea and maj, unless they've gotten it back up and running the Yosemite chat page is down and has been for awhile. It's a shame that a few crude and/or rude people can ruin something that was such a help for the rest of us.

As for the convertible. DH kept reminding me how much more it would cost and how small the trunk is. Since we won't be packing a wide variety of clothes I think we can hold the luggage to a managable amount. As for the cost, it comes out to about $10.00 a day more over a full size. I've decided it's more than worth that to me to be able to drive across the Tioga Pass and through the sequoias as well as all the other places we'll be going with as close to a 360 degree view as possible. I've been reading the posts on regretted trips not taken. Well, we're definitely taking this trip but I don't want to come home regretting not getting that convertible.

Floridafran
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:03 AM

The trunk on the Chrysler Sebring is pretty roomy. You can easily fit a couple suitcases, a small cooler, and a picnic basket with room to spare for souveniers and things like that.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:09 AM

You can also rent either two-seat or four-seat convertables. With a four-seater, you also have the backseat for carrying articles that won't fly away in the wind.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 12:31 PM

I don't know who you are renting a car with, but if you decide not to go the convertible route, I recommend you rent from Alamo/National if possible because they will let you pick out your own car once you're there, and you can try to select one in your car class that happens to have a sunroof. This is what I did when I drove from Rocky Mountain National Park through the Utah Parks and then to Yosemite 2 summers ago. The car itself was an intermediate or smaller, nothing special, like an Olds Alero or something -- but I really enjoyed having a sunroof. And it was a whole lot less than a convertible. Not the same, I know, but a compromise. I don't know of any other car rental companies that let you choose any car in your class from their lot, but there may be others.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, for the advice and input.

J_Correa, special thanks for the info on how much a Sebring will hold. I felt like that was about what we could get in there, and I think that's plenty of room. Our camera bags will be in the front, within easy reach. We'll also want plenty of water close at hand. Everything else can either go in the trunk or the back seat.

Now to find the best deal on my car.

Floridafran
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:02 PM

I just booked a convertible (Mustang...I know not a lot of trunk room) through Hertz for my sister when she comes from Florida to California. They will be doing Yosemite and the coast. I got a weekly rate including taxes for $268.00. Here are the codes I plugged in: CDP#000005 PC#947310 Hope this helps.
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Trav,

Gave it a try. We need our car for 12 days and Hertz wanted almost $700.00. Went to Budget, used code U010736 and got a Sebring convertible for just under $400.00. Had to charge on my MasterCard instead of American Express, but for that kind of savings, why not.

Hope your sister enjoys her trip as much as I think we will.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:32 PM

Fran, If you would be willing....when you return, could you give an update as to how you found Kings Canyon? We are going there in July....actually staying in San Luis Obispo and driving over. Main interest is to see the giant sequoias, and I'm not sure exactly which is the best entrance to the parks to take, and what trails we want to try out. Looking for photo ops. Let me know how you like it. Thanks.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Eliz,

I'll be posting a trip report when I get back. We get home late on the 2nd of July so I'm sure I won't get anything posted before the 4th. I hope that's before you go.