The Allerton in downtown Chicago?

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Allerton in downtown Chicago?

I have a conference to attend on Thursday...couldn't afford the pricey Intercontinental ($300+) but found the Allerton on 701 N. Michigan for a bargain rate of $127, discounted for booking online. It is only .4 miles from my conference. I have 24 hours to cancel if needed. Does anyone have any feedback? It seems too good to be true. But then again, it is only one night. And parking is $45/night.

Thanks for any insight!
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 05:39 PM

Is it a Kimpton hotel? If so, it should be quite fine.
$45 is a big ouch though....do you need the car?
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 07:33 PM

I've had friends stay there and they liked the Allerton. Until about a year ago, it was a Crowne Plaza.

As for parking, $45 is pretty standard for most hotels in the city. There are other garages in the area. Here's one link: http://www.luc.edu/parking/watertower.shtml

There's also the garages at Millennium/Grant Park. They're in the $20-25 range for 24-hours. You'd probably have to cab or bus it to the Allerton as it's about 6-7 blocks. The garage entrances are on Columbus Drive just north of Monroe. From there, you can catch a cab or the Number 151 bus at Michigan & Randolph up Michigan.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 05:52 AM

Unless you're driving into the city, you don't need a car. You can take public transit from either airport to your hotel and you'll be in the middle of the Michigan Avenue shopping district where there are hundreds of stores and restaurants.

From Midway, you can take the Orange Line to Roosevelt then transfer to the Red Line toward Howard. Exit the Red Line at Chicago Avenue and the Allerton is three blocks east to Michigan, then two blocks south.

From O'Hare, take the Blue Line from the baggage level and transfer to the Red Line at Jackson. The fare is $2 or you can buy an all-day pass for $5. It would take about 45-60 minutes from either.

A cab would be in the $30 range from MDW or $40 from ORD. The shuttle van is around $20 from MDW or $25 from ORD.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 09:52 AM

I like the Allerton. Nice, modern look. Pretty decent restaurant. Good location. And the price is a very good deal.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 10:01 AM

Lived in Chicago for a number of years. The Allerton is an old hotel and has some really tiny rooms. It would be very much worthwhile for you to inquire the size of the room and if they can give you an upgrade or somehow ensure you wont be staying in a broom closet. Agree with other posters, you don't need a car unless you are driving from somewhere else. If that is the case, investigate Grant St. parking or consider long term parking at O'Hare and taking the El.
Old May 1st, 2008, 07:46 PM

aliska is correct in that the Allerton's rooms are small. The hotel is a a 1920s building completely refurbished by Holiday Inn about 15 years ago. Perhaps you're old enough to remember Don MacNeill's radio broadcasts from the Tip-Top-Tap? But the price is right for Michigan Ave, and the service is Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza. How much will you be in your room if your attending a convention and visiting the city at the same time? $45/night is not an ouch - it's the going rate. If you fly in a taxi from ORD will cost as much. There is no need to have a car in the Mag Mile area of the Loop.
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info everyone. I just got back. I would highly recommend the Allerton. It was cheap and easy. The room, or mine anyway, was really tiny, but it reminded me of some of the places I've stayed in Europe, cozy with an art deco feel.

My only complaint...it was $51 for parking. I thought that was for 24 hours. Wrong. I checked in at 10pm, and my conference ended at 8pm. When I got there they informed me the $51 only included until 6pm and I would be charged for 2 more hours, at $15/hour. I was ticked off, to say the least! I should have asked I guess beforehand....

And I drove in from WI, and believe me, not my choice. Almost took the Amtrack from MKE but the times didn't work out. Chicago has fabulous public transportation, and I avoid driving as much as possible while I am there.

Thanks again!
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:13 PM

i stayed at the allerton with a friend in town last month. room was teensy, but did overlook michigan avenue and was clean, brand new- housekeeping even came in and gave us all new waste baskets while we were there. and the lounge was great. we ended up there a lot after shopping or even for dinner. great staff and great location.
it has a lot of history, but it's definitely reinvented itself, and for a great price (for now)