O'Hare to the Drake - on the el

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would appreciate assistance in navigating public transortation from O'Hare to the Drake. Is it feasible to do with 1 suitcase?
Thanks!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 06:51 AM

You can take the blue Line from O'Hare to downtown but you will have to transfer to a bus. You can get several different itineraries here:
http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/

It's a bit of a walk to the el station at the airport, and the el can be packed at rush hour on weekdays, but it's doable. You could also take the el downtown and then catch a cab to the hotel.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 06:53 AM
DMG

Feasible but not the easiest. The Subway goes from the airport into the Loop but there is really no stop near The Drake so you would probably have to get off somewhere else and then take a bus. Try to Google CTA trip-planer to get the best route.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 07:40 AM

You have several options, as there are a number of buses that head north up Michigan Ave, but these are my suggestions:

Take the Blue Line to Jackson, where you transfer to the Red Line north (Howard). Exit the Red Line at Chicago and State, walk 3 blocks to the Drake.

OR Take the Blue Line to Chicago Avenue. Exit the subway and take the Chicago Avenue bus east. Exit at Michigan Avenue and walk approx. 1 block north to the Drake.

Either should be do-able if your suitcase has wheels.

HTH,
Racy
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:12 AM

The Drake is actually 4-5 blocks north of Chicago Ave. I'd take the blue line to the first downtown stop, then taxi it to the Drake. If you want to avoid a taxi, you can get off the train at either Division or Chicago, then take that street's bus east to Michigan Ave. Division Street is about 4-5 blocks north of the Drake, so it's a wash. Getting off the train at Division will leave you further west than getting off at Chicago, so you will have a longer bus ride on Division.
If you go this route, buy a transfer at the airport when you pay the subway fare.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:32 AM

With all due respect, The Drake is on Walton, which is less than 2 blocks north of Chicago avenue (Oak Street, which runs behind The Drake, is 1000 N).

The Division Street bus doesn't run very frequently, nor does it run through to Michigan Ave--it turns around near State. However, there is a cab stand at the Division stop of the Blue Line.

OP, it's really very, very easy to take the CTA to your destination without a cab. People (including me) do it all the time.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:44 PM

To the OP, you've received several good suggestions. Keep in mind that the city is very pedestrian friendly. If the weather is good and you have comfortable shoes, a two- or three-block walk is nothing. You'll see lots of other people with all manner of bags and cases.

Sorry Racy, but the Drake is four blocks north of Chicago Avenue. The Water Tower and pumping station are on Michigan between Chicago and Pearson.

Water Tower Place is on the block between Pearson and Chestnut, the Hancock and Fourth Presbyterian are between Chestnut and Delaware Place and the Westin, Palmolive Building and 900 North Michigan occupy the blocks between Delaware and Walton.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Racy, the blocks are not counted by 100's in that area, but by 50's; there are four streets between Chicago Avenue and the Drake, including Walton.

Also, the Chicago/State Red Line exit is 3 and a half blocks west of Michigan Avenue; a tourist needs to known that he will be crossing 7 or 8 streets to get to the hotel.

BACK TO THE QUESTION: I lived in that aarea for years, and IMO, the best combination of quick, convenient and cheap is to take the Blue Line to Clark and Lake, then take a cab to your hotel. The cab will be $7-10. Total time of 60-70 minutes from the airport. Switching to the Red Line will take a half-hour longer since you have to go down to Jackson to do the switch, then wait for another train and still have quite a bit of a walk at the end.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 06:33 AM

I always count city block by the 100, as that's how I judge distance--8 to a mile. This doesn't change regardless of cross streets, so I think it's misleading to suggest that something is more blocks away--ie farther. It's less than .25 miles from Chicago Ave to Walton, regardless of how many east-west streets intersect.

I guess it's like street blocks vs avenue blocks in NYC.

Don't know why I'm explaining myself.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 09:10 AM
E_M

Our method, which was quick and cheap, was to have my uncle pick us up at the airport and take us directly to the Drake....

Enjoy! It's in the best location.
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 09:38 AM

I live in Chicago and would agree with patg's suggestion to take a cab once you exit the blue line is probably the best one.