Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Thanksgiving Sequoia & Kings Canyon, Three Rivers

Thanksgiving Sequoia & Kings Canyon, Three Rivers

Aug 12th, 2018, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanksgiving Sequoia & Kings Canyon, Three Rivers

Posted an earlier thread about this but have narrowed down our plans. I also saw another post about distances in and out of these parks. I realize that Thanksgiving week weather is unpredictable. That said, it looks like hubby and me, two late 20's sons and one DIL will be renting an airbnb in the Three Rivers area for 4 nights. Lots of nice options with room to be comfortable, nice views, and full kitchens in which to prepare Thanksgiving dinner. Questions:
  • Is there a full supermarket in Three Rivers or should we stop earlier to stock up? We will be coming from San Francisco area, kids from LA.
  • Restaurant recommendations in the area?
We will likely spend 2 days sightseeing - driving with stops for short hikes if possible. A little help regarding what is possible and worth it at that time of year would be appreciated.
  • One day in the Moro Rock/General Sherman tree area, sound right?
  • Will the road to Mineral King be open? Worth it?
  • I assume road to Cedar Grove (Kings Canyon Scenic Byway) will be closed?
As always, thanks to this community for so much help!
  • Is drive to Grant Grove Village-Redwood Canyon possible from Three Rivers in a day?
Aug 12th, 2018, 07:42 AM

I don't know the area personally, but according to Yelp, there are no supermarkets actually in Three Rivers - but several on the way. The people coming from San Francisco will go through Visalia which is a relatively large town. I'd reserve my turkey and stop to shop (not just for Thanksgiving dinner, but for your food for all three days) on the way.

You'll also likely go through Fresno, but it's farther from Three Rivers than is Visalia.
Aug 12th, 2018, 08:17 AM

You will most likely be required to have snow chains in the cars.

Once overnight temps dip below freezing, Hwy. 180 (Cedar Grove) will be closed mostly because of the rock fall threat and not weather.

Mineral King Road and Crystal Cave Road will be closed, and Crescent Meadow Road (Moro Rock) closes when snow makes them impassable.

A few roads are open year-round, and others close when it snows. You'd have to check conditions when you're there.

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvis...conditions.htm
Aug 12th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info and link to road openings. Just starting our research.
Aug 14th, 2018, 04:09 AM

If you are renting a car, perhaps look for a 4wd or AWD one with all weather or perferably snow tires. Have a fantastic holiday.

Search this Thread