Tetons, Yellowstone help

Search

Tetons, Yellowstone help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tetons, Yellowstone help

Getting an early start planning a trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone in summer 2018. Will fly to Salt Lake and drive north around Bear Lake to Jackson. Plan is to spend 2 nights in Jackson, then maybe a night or two at Jackson Lake Lodge. From there we'll go to Yellowstone. Would like to spend 2 nights in the park, preferably in cabins. I'm not very familiar with Yellowstone, so any and all suggestions about where to stay and maybe some mild to moderate hikes would be appreciated. We'll drive to Denver after leaving Yellowstone. Thanks!
Old Aug 13th, 2017, 12:18 PM

It's a beautiful part of the world. While in the Tetons go view the Gros Ventre Slide--the largest land mass movement ever recorded. A float trip on the Snake is a nice thing.
Old Aug 13th, 2017, 02:06 PM

We stayed in cabins at Old Faithful, Mammoth, and Canyon. All were comfortable, and the Canyon cabin had its own bathroom; the others had restrooms just a short walk away.

Lee Ann
Old Aug 13th, 2017, 03:32 PM

I would recommend finding a way to spend more days in Yellowstone. 2 nts isnt nearly enough. It's a big place!
Old Aug 13th, 2017, 05:24 PM

I agree two nights is very short for exploring Yellowstone. It's a big park and one where staying in different bases makes sense.
Old Aug 13th, 2017, 06:56 PM

Jackson is boutiques and spas, kind if the antithesis of a wilderness experience. You can miss it.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 02:55 AM

One day in Jackson seems about right. Lots of shops, galleries, and eateries, plus the National Museum of Wildlife Art is worth visiting. In season, the Jackson Hole Historical Society and Museum has a decent little collection of artifacts and such, plus they give walking tours of the town. I'd add a day to Yellowstone.

Good hikes for the Tetons:

-take the shuttle boat across Jenny Lake to the Hidden falls trail head. Hike past the falls, up to Inspiration Point, then continue to Cascade canyon. There's some uphill, but it didn't strike me as strenuous.

-Coulter Bay has two very nice and relatively easy hikes, the Swan Lake/Heron Pond Loop and Lakeshore Trail. There's also a Native American artifacts museum here, plus you can take a cruise on the bay.

Yellowstone:

-hiking a circuit in the Canyon area's South Rim area that goes past Clear Lake and hooks up to the South Rim Trail. Views of the Upper and Lower Falls, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, Clear Lake, mud pots, and meadows.

-hiking the Upper Geyser Basin area between Biscuit Basin and Old Faithful. Loads of geysers and pools, plus the Old Faithful Inn.

-short circuits at Midway Geyser Basin, Mud Volcano, Fountain Paint Pots are very much worth the stop.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 03:14 AM

I would also suggest more time in Yellowstone. If necessary, skip a night in Jackson - not much of interest unless you love shopping...
We spent 6 nights in Yellowstone and we still could have stayed longer. Tetons are beautiful but Yellowstone is incredible - the diversity of wildlife and the amazing thermal features make it like no other place. We stayed 2 nights each in Old Faithful area, Mammoth and Canyon - cabins in Mammoth and Canyon were older but just fine and both had private bathroom.
If you can do 4 nights in Yellowstone, that would be perfect. Do all of the shorter hikes around the geyser basins, grand prismatic, etc. They are amazing. Get up super early and drive around the park for incredible wildlife viewing - bear, fox, antelope, elk, eagles, and even wolves. Bring binoculars if you have them.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 03:40 AM

I'll be in Yellowstone and GT in a couple of weeks. Appreciate the hike info!
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 04:42 AM

Agree with the above recommendation to hike to Cascade Canyon while in the Tetons, probably one of the best hikes in the park. There are some other great ones to choose from:

http://www.tetonhikingtrails.com/gra...p-10-hikes.htm

If you're looking for an easier hike then I would recommend Phelps Lake, especially if you can get there in the morning to get the best photos:

http://www.tetonhikingtrails.com/gra...easy-hikes.htm
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 08:15 AM

I missed the fact that you're planning to stay in both the town of Jackson as well as Jackson Lake Lodge. I don't really see a need to split up your stay as the distance isn't great. I'd definitely reallocate some of those days to Yellowstone where it will take more time to get around to different parts of the park.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Appreciate all the great tips, thank you. Will cut back to one night in Jackson and extend in Yellowstone. Any suggestions for best website to book some of these cabins?
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 10:23 AM

Book through the parks' lodging websites.

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/

https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/lodging.htm

Lee Ann
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 06:57 PM

We are also planning a trip for next July. We have a site at Fishing Bridge RV park. This will be our fourth trip to the parks. Here is a blog with some itinerary ideas. https://theroadtravelers.com/2017/08...ational-parks/
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 08:05 PM

There is a great book--Easy Day hikes in Yellowstone and probably the same title for Grand Tetons. Or just check out the NPS web site and look at the newsletter for this summer. It will describe hikes in there and you can take your pick. You only need one night in Jackson--the day you get there, then one night in the Tetons (2 days), then spend the rest in Yellowstone. You can easily spend four days there. I have stayed in cabins at OF and Canyons. Much better than the rooms at OF or Lake or Grant Village. Definitely try for cabins.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 11:31 AM

We just returned from a 4 states, 10 cities and 2,000 mile road trip. fabulous. will hopefully do a trip report (when I find time).
Highlights; we all agreed Galcier over Yellowstone and Grand Teton was by far our favorite spot/park!
Hikes were best in glacier, then Yellowstone, then GT. GT smallest of three parks so least time there. I would return only to stay at Jackson Lake Lodge and enjoy that mighty view while sipping a pint from the Blue Heron Bar. Majestic!
Glacier-if that's what heaven looks like, then I'm good to go! Every American should see this place before they melt away (2030).
Yellowstone was our least favorite and probably because it was inundated with rude pushy smelly horribly rude foreigners (and I don't mean europeans but don't want to be bashed on this forum for pointing out a particular ethnicity either) but they were just hundreds of obnoxiously loud and rude people who Just killed the whole experience.
Grand Teton was smallest park can do in one full day. We stayed in Jackson. Lovely town
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 01:01 PM

I just did the drive from Salt Lake up to Wyoming. I would definitely recommend driving through Logan. My cousin got married there this summer, and it is beautiful.

Get a raspberry shake near Bear Lake. Delicious!

If you take the drive around Bear Lake that goes up and around, stop at the Butch Cassidy Museum in Montpelier, Idaho. It's just a short stop, free and kinda cool.

Definitely do the Hidden Falls hike in the Tetons. It's a good one.
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 07:28 AM
Slw

We loved using the GaperGuide for those parks.