Tarrytown questions - lodging, restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of heading to Tarrytown area Saturday, needing to be in NYC Sunday afternoon. We were hoping to tour Rockefeller mansion but it is not open yet. The towns look quaint for a Saturday afternoon walk having never been to this area. Any other suggestions? West Point?

I've been looking at reviews for the Doubletree in Tarrytown and I am seeing various conflicting ones. The website says there is a major renovation in process so I will probably call the hotel to verify exactly what is currently under renovation.

Basically, my questions are: can anyone comment on the hotel? can anyone recommend a decent restaurant in the area ($100 or less for two maximum would be ok). I have searched other threads, but some of the posts are dated.

Thanks. I always get great advice from this website.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:30 AM

The Doubletree was closed for a long time for repair but was supposed to open in December. Have not driven past there or gone in so I can't help you there.

There is not too much goin on in Tarrytown this month (Tarrytown is not a lively town).

You might want to look in to the Castle on the Hudson, they are a full service hotel, costly but nice.

I try to get out of Tarrytown every chance I can get. Sorry I can not be of more help.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:37 AM

To me the main reason to visit Tarrytown is to visit the historic mansions in the area--Kykuit, (Rockefeller), Lyndhurst,(which should be open this time of the year), Sunnyside (Washington Irving house). I've never found the towns to be as "quaint" as some others in the area.

The Doubletree is what was the Hilton for many years, and had been closed for probably 2 years now--surely they've finally finished the transformation?? It was a nice low rise hotel with a good indoor pool and (for summer) a great outdoor pool area in the courtyard of the property. Some areas had begun to look run down, so the renovation was scheduled.

There's also a Marriott in the area (never been, but passed it on the road,) and Tarrytown House -- a small conference center with both standard hotel rooms and historic mansion rooms-- is just opposite Lyndhurst.

For just strolling around a town, I prefer Cold Spring --about 30 minutes further north
Hope this helps!
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Hi travelbug44 -
Thanks for replying so quickly. I have to agree, that this seems like an off month to go to the Hudson Valley... not much open/happening.

Anything else possibly in the area to suggest? We like day hikes - is Bear Mountain another possiblity? Would you recommend West Point?

We were just trying to fit something in before the Sunday requirement in NYC and it seems like it will be a decent weekend.

I had checked out the Castle on Hudson - too pricey for my pocketbook but thanks for the info.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:56 AM

Bear Mt. is nice but it is basically a park, nice area to drive through in nice weather. They do have a little zoo like attraction with bears, a bald eagle and a few other things but it is really no big deal. Just part of a nice walk really and it is dirt cheap. They have a lodge where you can eat. Not sure what is available in the winter although they used to have a skating rink.

Not sure if you can get in West Point with all the security they have in place these days

Lyndhurt to me is just a depressing castle.

Not much going on in the Hudson Valley in January.

Wish I could give you more information.

If you do go to Tarrytown go to Sunset Cove down by the railroad station (other side of the tracks) It is right on the Huson under the Tappan Zee Bridge, and the food is good. Moderate not expensive.

Good luck.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:19 PM

Sunset Cove is OK, but Striped Bass is much better and more fun in my opinion. Bellas has some very good greek food.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:39 PM

The Doubletree has reopened. I doubt if you'll find many or any reviews, since it's been open for less than a month.
There are many hotels and motels to choose from in that area, including a Marriott, Courtyard and Springhill Suites.
Unfortunately, Kykuit (the Rockefeller Mansion) is closed for the season. You might want to venture further north (about a 90-minute drive from Tarrytown) and visit FDR's home and museum and the Vanderbilt Mansion in Hyde Park.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:41 PM

PS: If you want to dine at one of Westchester's best, then try Harvest on Hudson, about 8-10 miles south in Hastings-on-Hudson.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone and thanks for your help.
The plans have changed to most likely touring a winery and taking a drive past West Point. We plan to tour the mansions on another trip to the Hudson Valley.
The only winery we can find open (without going too far north) is Brotherhood Winery. We then were thinking of driving down the east side of the Hudson into NYC for our commitment early Sunday afternoon.
Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant in the Newburgh area since that seems to be close to Brotherhood winery?
Thanks again.