Reload this Page >

Tarrytown/Kykuit: which route is best?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:22 AM
elaine

We're driving early Sat. morning from the Phila. suburbs to Tarrytown. We'd like to reach Kykuit by 9/9:30am.
Which route is best?:
1. 286, crossing Tappan Zee Bridge
OR
2. GW Bridge driving through Yonkers
Thanks to all who reply.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:47 AM
elaine

typing too quickly:

Route 287 crossing Tappan Zee Bridge or
GW Bridge through Yonkers....

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:54 AM
nyer

Definitely take the Tappan Zee if you're going that early on a Saturday. Though there are some lane closures once you get over the bridge, shouldn't be bad at that time.
If you take the GWB, you either have to get on the Saw Mill or Cross Bronx Expwy
to the Deegan to get North to Tarrytown--"rt 9" that goes through Yonkers is really Broadway, a street rather than road at parts and will take much longer.
(BTW, I assume you have directions to Philipsburg Manor where you actually pick up the shuttle bus that takes you to Kykuit)

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 08:07 AM
yep

definitely take the bridge. yonkers is not fun to drive through, we've even missed the turnoff before.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 08:30 AM
elaine

Thank you fodors posters.
We will definitely take Tappan Zee Bridge to Kykuit. We do have directions to Philipsburg Manor...I'll reread them. If we need clarification, I'll post here.
Thank you for replying so quickly!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 08:38 AM
yep

Since you'll already be there, if you have a chance take the drive over to the Union Church. You can go in and see stained glass windows by Chagall and Matisse.

The graveyard in Terrytown has a church and tombstones that date back to the 1600s, Washington Irving is buried there.

And speaking of Washington Irving, you should visit Sunnyside--just south of Tarrytown proper. Very pretty place and an interesting house tour. Have a good time.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 04:23 AM
elaine

yep,
thanks for your suggestions! Is Union Church in Poncantico Hills? We hope to tour Lyndhurst Estate and Sunnyside, if time permits.
Note to nyer and/or yep: Our Hudson Valley friends gave us directions but they are out of town. From Kykuit (or the other sites), will it be hard to find Hampton Inn on Tarrytown Rd. (town is Elmsford).
Thanks

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:50 AM
yep

Elaine,

That is where the Union Church is. It's a short drive from Tarrytown proper, and a nice one. I don't think you'll have a problem with your hotel. All these sites are fairly concentrated. I don't remember the streets exactly (I live in NY), but go to Yahoo and check the addresses on a map to give yourself a better idea. Have fun!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:56 AM
elaine

thanks for all the help and suggestions!