Tarpon Springs?

Sep 29th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Tarpon Springs?

What's this town like? I know about the sponges/Greek influence, etc. Is it a handsome town or just a historic one? Is it a place to spend a few hours or an overnight? Are there any good places to stay? Doesn't need to be "luxury," but we do like very comfortable and quiet.
About how long would it take to get there off of I-75? We're looking for somewhere new to explore on our snowbird migration south to Naples. Thanks very much.
Sep 29th, 2009, 06:53 AM

A few hours is enough, I wouldn't bother staying overnight. At this point in time it's more of a tourist town with lots of Greek restaurants.
Sep 29th, 2009, 07:36 AM

I have spent all of two hours in Tarpon Springs and that was fifteen years ago. However, I can still remember the delicious Greek seafood stew I ate on what seemed to be a row of Greek restaurants along a small boardwalk.

As for a trivia aside, Tarpon Springs is where James Bond's American friend Felix Leiter is fed to the sharks by the henchmen of Mr. Big in "Live and Let Die."
Sep 29th, 2009, 08:24 AM

I would say it's a worthwhile day trip. Tarpon Springs is both authentic and touristy; I know that doesn't make sense, exactly! I think you'll see what I mean when you get there.
Sep 29th, 2009, 09:06 AM

I was taken there a few months back by my husband that swore it was "so much fun". This was after a weekend in St. Augustine that he said paled in comparison.

We went, spent an afternoon walking around, looking at the sponge museum video, buying some sponges, having ok Greek food, and that was enough.
I would recommend an afternoon. And yes, my husband did finally agree the St. Augustine was the more entertaining city.
Sep 29th, 2009, 09:21 AM

Agree with some of the posters above. We spent an hour or two in Tarpon Springs - and that included a trip round the aquarium - but then had had enough.

I would however, recommend driving the short distance down to Honeymoon Island State Park as well to make more of your day. Lovely white sand beach, a nature centre and trail. There were Bald Eagles nesting there when we visited last December!
Sep 29th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the replies. From what I hear, I suspect we'll make the detour just to St Pete instead. Were there a decade or so ago, but don't remember much. I keep reading that it's kind of a dicey place these days, gotten shabbier in several respects. Still, probably more worth the detour than Tarpon. (Plus it's not as much of a detour.)